Poll: Who would you have wanted to develop the actual KOTOR 3?

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Dear god Bioware.

Obsidian seems to forget that this IS Star Wars, its SUPPOSED to be black and white, I don't mind their writing but they often take themselves to seriously and try to muddy things that shouldn't be muddied.

Star Wars is Black vs White, Evil Vs Good, The Light Side Versus the Dark, not grey on grey.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Sutter Cane said:
Khazoth said:
So, this is the thread where all of the Obsidian fans and all of the Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 haters come together and hate Bioware as a team. So let me make absolutely no friends in this thread by saying Obsidian sucks, and the only things they have made since being founded were games i'd charitably call 'Passable.'

But everyone has such short memories with, you know, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3, New Vegas. You'd think people would remember the pattern with Obsidian. Everyone defends them, claims their awesome, they release awesome screenshots... And then the game blows.

Alpha Protocol and New Vegas were both really good games, with new vegas making up for the abysmal Fallout 3.

Alpha protocol was essentially trashed for not being exactly like Mass Effect 2, and for having your skill points actually matter, which is not a bad thing. So in short, what the fuck are you talking about?
Bull...fucking...shit.

Not the New Vegas thing, I totally appreciate your opinion on that matter, makes sense.

But Alpha Protocol being good? Or even being like Mass Effect 2?

Bull fucking shit

Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol have two things in common, they are RPG's, they have a dialogue system.

Beyond that Alpha Protocol was a buggy, terrible and boring mess, and nothing like Mass Effect 2 (Hell I went into it comparing it more to Deus Ex than ANYTHING made by Bioware.

Nov 28, 2007
I say Bioware. I don't care what the haters say. Bioware still has some damn good writing. Yes, the ending for ME3 was debatable. But the rest of the game was great. Yes, DA2 was a "meh" game. But the writing and story definitely weren't the issue.

I like Obsidian, but when it comes to actually making me really care about characters, I prefer Bioware.

Lupus80

Jan 9, 2011
I lean towards Obsidian simply because I would like to give them a crack at it, but I would not be dismayed if Bioware did it.

I wouldn't mind some enhanced versions of the previous two, with improved graphics and gameplay.

I always thought that it would be cool for KOTOR 3 to kind of go back to Star Wars roots: you play a young guy/girl who, after losing their family to the invading ancient Sith army, is put under the wing of a crusty and mysterious Jedi mentor, one of the few still around. The twist would be that your mentor is Revan him/herself, who is crafting you into the perfect weapon against the Sith- much like Yoda did to Luke in the original trology.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Jove said:
Khazoth said:
So, this is the thread where all of the Obsidian fans and all of the Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 haters come together and hate Bioware as a team. So let me make absolutely no friends in this thread by saying Obsidian sucks, and the only things they have made since being founded were games i'd charitably call 'Passable.'

But everyone has such short memories with, you know, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege 3, New Vegas. You'd think people would remember the pattern with Obsidian. Everyone defends them, claims their awesome, they release awesome screenshots... And then the game blows.
Pretty much this,

Obsidian even as writers are not even good in their own right. People here just like them because they think they are black isle 2.0, when really, their just developers who can't seem to pick the right publishers to fund their game and can't come up with their own IP. And when they did, (alpha protocol), it blew big time. So now, their just making buggy and unfinished games from someone else's IP because apparently, their "amazing writing" doesn't allow them to make one up themselves.

But of course, as you probably know, the overall escapist community cling on to nostalgia like bear and honey. So the fact that the mere mention of Obsisdion would bring on those type of people here is a given. Put this thread in giant bomb or the game faqs forums and this thread would go in a complete 180.

OT: obviously Bioware. They made the series, they know what their doing with it, they make it. Simple. And I have a feeling if it wasn't for EA, we would have a KOTOR 3 instead of the MMO.
I defend Obsidian frequently and the first game I played by either of them was KOTOR 2. At least Obsidian doesn't copy paste The Hero's Journey with each release. Then we get freaking Mass Effect which just copy pasted it's whole story from another game series, Star Control 2&3.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Sp3ratus said:
Bugginess aside, I think what people are what people are attracted to in Obsidian is the writing. Take for instance something like choices and consequences. Look at Alpha Protocol, where choices matter, both in terms of separate hubs, but also throughout the entire game and dictates what endings you get and such. Then look at a game like ME2, where the ending choice is made, with no influence at all from anything else during the game, it's a decision made then and there, regardless of how paragon/renegade you've chosen to be.
Exactly so, though I feel Alpha Protocol is a bad example because it always ends with everyone in the world being a member of the secret shadow agency, them all occupying the same small base, and you being forced to kill every one of them individually.

Anyway given time I think Obsidian would make a better game, but that's probably not a realistic caveat. Since we're looking at Bioware at the time of Jade Empire I think they would win out with a more polished finished product.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
um neither. i mean if im just given those choices then i guess i choose obsidian because the first kotor bored the crap out of me. that said, the bugs of kotor 2 resulted in me playing for 4 hours before the game became literally unplayable (suddenly just stopped letting me load saved games). to make it worse, i found out later through forums that i was able to predict a big plot twist in the tiny amount of time i played the game. i hated both games but at least kotor 2 was more fun for me (for what i was able to play of it).

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
Gone Rampant said:
I want KOTOR 3 done by BOTH of them- BioWare does the tech stuff and gets the gameplay done, Obsidian does the writing and plot. It's a better plan then Drew killing our hopes, at any rate.

Also, Ubisoft to publish, since they're the only publisher that gets making games right (IE: Don't just throw money and set stupid deadlines).
I think you might be on to something here. Although I certainly think Bioware should have SOME influence on the story, without interference from EA, of course. Not quite sure about Ubi though. Hell, given the demand for it, crowdsourced funding might even be viable.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Rack said:
Sp3ratus said:
Bugginess aside, I think what people are what people are attracted to in Obsidian is the writing. Take for instance something like choices and consequences. Look at Alpha Protocol, where choices matter, both in terms of separate hubs, but also throughout the entire game and dictates what endings you get and such. Then look at a game like ME2, where the ending choice is made, with no influence at all from anything else during the game, it's a decision made then and there, regardless of how paragon/renegade you've chosen to be.
Exactly so, though I feel Alpha Protocol is a bad example because it always ends with everyone in the world being a member of the secret shadow agency, them all occupying the same small base, and you being forced to kill every one of them individually.

Anyway given time I think Obsidian would make a better game, but that's probably not a realistic caveat. Since we're looking at Bioware at the time of Jade Empire I think they would win out with a more polished finished product.
Well, that's true enough, but I was more thinking the way you end mission hubs and the game itself and the choices and consequences system, than the actual story. Storywise, this isn't the best they've done, but it's still decent.
A lot of what you do during the game affects the ending, like learning of that Madison is Parker's daughter will make that fight easier or that you can completely remove Conrad from the last level of the game, either by killing him or talking to him/learning everything there is to know about him. Also, your different interactions with the characters during the game determines who you'll end up with, when you sail away(if you choose that route).

Savo

Jan 27, 2012
Probably Obsidian. The only problem with Kotor 2 was that it was ME3 before ME3 with that horrible ending. It wasn't their fault though, I believe it was Lucasarts that pushed them to release it before it was finished. Even without the twist Kotor 2 was better than the original in gameplay and story (although I also love the original). Also, Bioware has fallen from their previous greatness in recent years with DA2 and ME3.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
Obsidian had a far easier job than Bioware with regards to KOTOR, in my opinion. Bioware laid the ground-work for the gameplay, mechanics, setting, art style etc with the first game. Obsidian then just had to build upon this with the second. Things were obviously going to be more refined as they knew what worked and what didnt from the previous game, and they would have had to put less resources into developing stuff and more into characters, story, plot etc.

That being said, I personally enjoyed KOTOR over KOTOR2. Some things are done better in each of the 2 games, and I honestly wouldnt care who did another one (not that it will ever happen). To those that want a KOTOR3, simply play the class stories in SWTOR - its going free to play and you can enjoy the entire story content when it does later this year. Just play it as a single player game like KOTOR and you will probably love it.

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
Definately obsidian.

KOTOR2 when i was playing i always felt a moral grey cloud hovering all over i can't really explain it but it was a nice feeling as i was playing. It left somewhat a clean slate on how you wanted to do things. Instead of bioware good and evil view and you must choose one and only one ala typical jedi or sith! Don't get me wrong i loved KOTOR1 as well but number 2 let me be somewhere inbetween more properly. Obsidian have always been better in my personal opinion for making the morally grey option (somewhat sitting on the fence morally) much more accessable.

Yeah the non modded ending for number 2 was shite. Obsidian were rushed by the lucasarts power hound (what a random description) Thankfully alot of the canceled content were restored by the dedicated modding scene we got for our games nowadays.

Bioware had an extra 6 months (was it 6 i can't remember) to polish up mass effect 3. They still used that shit ending with that little C*** with the god complex.

Obsidian didn't have a choice (even think modders found the original ending they were planning to use on the disk files)

i feel Bioware did have a choice however, i think they just got lazy and called it "ARTISTIC INTEGRITY!!" when they were called out on it.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Saviordd1 said:
Sutter Cane said:
Khazoth said:

Alpha Protocol and New Vegas were both really good games, with new vegas making up for the abysmal Fallout 3.

Alpha protocol was essentially trashed for not being exactly like Mass Effect 2, and for having your skill points actually matter, which is not a bad thing. So in short, what the fuck are you talking about?
Bull...fucking...shit.

Not the New Vegas thing, I totally appreciate your opinion on that matter, makes sense.

But Alpha Protocol being good? Or even being like Mass Effect 2?

Bull fucking shit

Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol have two things in common, they are RPG's, they have a dialogue system.

Beyond that Alpha Protocol was a buggy, terrible and boring mess, and nothing like Mass Effect 2 (Hell I went into it comparing it more to Deus Ex than ANYTHING made by Bioware.
Reread my post, I said that the game is very different from mass effect 2, but a bunch of reviewers seemed to want to compare the two games.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Obsidian... as long as they get appropriate funds and can get and extension on their release date to ensure it's actually finished...<.<