Poll: Who would you rather let die, your pet or me?

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
This is a serious question. I want to know whether you would rather save the life of your pet animal or me in an emergency.

I am a complete stranger and you know nothing about me, therefore I could be a disliked loner or beloved by family or friends, a dumbass or a prodigy, a criminal or a volunteer with children and the elderly. You can't know.

EDIT:

These poll results are hardly surprising; a similar question was posed by another user on a forum I frequent and most people were more than happy to let that OP die, even kill and torture him, over their dog or cat. There is a serious lack of empathy in the modern world.

Even as a pet owner myself (I have a cat), I feel that people who put the lives of animals they own over other human beings are SELFISH. Selfish because their pets love them unconditionally and provide companionship, and they don't want to give this source of happiness up, while many people don't get along well with other humans. However, I personally could never live with the guilt knowing that I let another human being with family, friends, a significant other, a job where they provide value to others, hopes, and dreams die for an animal that is barely self-aware and mainly exists to make me happy and entertain me.

It would pain me to do so, but I would kill my cat myself so that any one of you may live.

EDIT 2:

Yes, the poll question was poorly worded when compared to the content of the OP, sorry.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
You.

Really I have nothing against you, but I fucking love my cats. They're very important to me. Sorry my man, you're out.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
If I had a pet, I would choose it.
If not, I'd save you
Ofc, I could carry you on my back while I drag the pet out of there

Lopsided Weener

Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2010
Would I rather let a pet that I've had a long companionship with die, or a randomer die? I think it would be insulting to let my pet die, unless the pet was getting very old and ill anyway.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Cracked.com has a concept called the Monkeysphere. It basically states that monkeys can only optimally manage a certain number of other monkeys in their mind, all of the rest they don't really think of as monkeys, at least not in the same way. Well scientists swapped a monkey brain for a human brain, and they determined we optimally have about 150 people in our monkeysphere. When the garbage isn't taken away, are you thinking of the garbage man as a guy with a life, kids, and bills to pay? Probably not, he's just the guy that didn't pick up your trash today. If your friend didn't pick it up on the other hand, you'd be more understanding to his position.

Why am I saying this? Because I don't know you. You're not in my sphere. I know and love my pets, so unless I was making this decision right to your face, I would probably choose the pet.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Don't really have a pet.

Still, in terms of 'life value' I really do believe human lives are worth more than animal ones. Yet I also very much appreciate the weight of sentimental worth.
Therefore, if I had to choose between *A* dog, and you, then you'd probably live.
If I had to choose between *MY* dog, which I would supposedly love and adore, then you'd probably be the one to die.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Maybe if you where right in front of me, and it was one of my fish, maybe. Otherwise... I'm rather attached to my pets.

Sorafrosty

Nov 19, 2009
AH! I read the poll incorrectly; thought it said 'who would you rather save', coupled with your question... I meant saving you, but I'd feel really bad letting my dog die...

Broken Boy

Apr 10, 2010
My dog would comes first.

Only family & people that I care about would come before my dog. Don't get me wrong a lot of my family wouldn't come before my dog.

Edit: After a little thought only 4 people would come before my dog. My daughters & my brother and his fiance.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I would begrudgingly save you, as I don't have a pet. And the last pet I had was a hamster, I'd still save you (because hamsters are cheap).

easternflame

Cosmic Rays of Undeadly Fire
Nov 2, 2010
You, I don't know you and I don't need to. I'd rather kill you than my mother of father or sisters so its the same with my pet. Sorry mate

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
Well, although I'd hate it, my rabbit is a very old thing, and you're more... well, human. So you.

Odegauger

Apr 7, 2010
I'd save you. Even though the one-or-two posts of yours are the only evidence I have of your existence, I'm pretty sure you're a human, and so your life is worth more than my stupid fucking cat.

Quite_Insane

Aug 27, 2010
I would save my dog, since I've had him for quite a while.
I was actually just thinking of something similar to this right before I saw the thread

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Oops, assumed the poll was positive and would be worded "who would I save" rather than "who would I let die".

In other words, I voted you OP but meant that I'd save you. My cats are cool and all but person trumps twat.