Poll: Who would you rather let die, your pet or me?

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I'd feel like a jerk for doing so, but I think I'd let you die...

Nothing against you or anything, but my 3 month old kittens are just SOOOOO cute! ^^

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
People are protective of thier things. It's human nature. In a way it helped us survive as a species. In primitive times, if the lead male of the tribe didn't give a toss when one of their tribe members was in danger then us as a species would be extinct. Selfishness is natural.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Walter Sobchak said:
I think the substance is made by the fact that we made the claim and we are the only ones who understand it personally I love my dog but as long as it can't write on a forum we are more superior
My cat doesn't spend it's time on internet forums telling a load of other cats that cats are superior to any other animal.

That, quite frankly, seems like a point in favour of my cat.

Walter Sobchak said:
we are talking about quality of life at this point as much as I would like my friend if he can't think his quality of life is less than that of a man who can think
So you judge everyone's worth of survival based on their quality of life then?

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Human lives are kind of meaningless. I don't know you, you are one amongst billions. do you really think you death will have any significant impact on this world. Why should I care about the life of someone I don't even know what do I get out of it? Will you pay me for my services?

I would crawl over broken glass and back again for my friends and family but I would never put my self in harms way for a stranger unless I was being paid to.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Since my pet doesn't make silly polls...
With two choices and these are getting old fast...

My pet.

Walter Sobchak

Feb 27, 2011
Maze1125 said:
will1182 said:
If you died tomorrow, your cat would not even notice the difference if it still got its food.
Oh bollocks.
That's exactly the sort of thing people like you say all the time and it is total bollocks.

I don't live with my old cat any more, only my mother does. My cat gets fed regularly by her, in fact when I did live with the cat, I was never the one to feed it.

And yet, somehow, whenever I go back to my old house to visit, the welcome I get from the cat, that I never once fed, is huge. In fact, it's greater than the welcome I often get from my own children. Although that's not a fair comparison, as I tend to only leave them for at most a couple of days at a time.

Still, the idea that pets don't care about humans beyond their next meal is just plain utter nonsense that anyone could see if they didn't purposely blind themselves to the way non-human animals behave.

If the person's parents are still alive, you have just killed their child.
Yep, I saved my disabled friend who has no parents and let someone with parents die. I'm a selfish bastard.

Please point out where I said the relationship "transcends death".
I never said you did say that.

I said that relationships between humans are deeper and more complex than relationships between humans and animals can ever hope to be.
And your example for that has how humans react when other humans die. Which, as I pointed out, is pretty damn similar to how people react when their pets die, just to differing degrees. The only exception being the parent-child relationship which is intrinsically biased due to evolution and so inappropriate for the example.

And like I said before, I don't care if you save your handicapped friend over another guy with family. It's your choice. You're still saving a human for another human, something I can support no matter the circumstances. It's only saving an animal over a human that I don't tolerate.
Yes, I know you said that, because that is exactly the thing that I have a problem with.

The only way this disabled person is different from a dog is that he is a human. He corresponds exactly with a dog in every single one of your arguments as to why humans are more worthy of life and yet you still attribute that same superiority to him even though he fails the very tests you give out yourself
Personally I think that someone who thinks and acts just like a dog has the quality of life of a dog this isn't about species this is about humanity how something thinks and acts for example if you can find me a bear that can think as well as any human and can articulate his thoughts I will save him over the mentally disabled person/ may I speak with the bear after

Walter Sobchak

Feb 27, 2011
Maze1125 said:
Walter Sobchak said:
I think the substance is made by the fact that we made the claim and we are the only ones who understand it personally I love my dog but as long as it can't write on a forum we are more superior
My cat doesn't spend it's time on internet forums telling a load of other cats that cats are superior to any other animal.

That, quite frankly, seems like a point in favour of my cat.

Walter Sobchak said:
we are talking about quality of life at this point as much as I would like my friend if he can't think his quality of life is less than that of a man who can think
yes

Boom129

Apr 23, 2008
of course in the end we'd probably end up all choosing the pet in the end een if we won't admit it

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
OP.

Its like that philosphical question.

There's a button. If you push the button, someone you dont know dies. But if you push the button, 1 million dollars is transmitted to your account. No strings attached. (except for the you just killed someone thing of course)

Sep 14, 2009
pet, no offense but most pets don't live that long anyways...and no offense i do value my own species over others

so more than likely, you. in any default situation involving life or death i nearly always would pick the other person, i just don't think with my morals i could live with myself if i let another human being die over something as frivolous as a pet or something.

Walter Sobchak

Feb 27, 2011
Maze1125 said:
Walter Sobchak said:
Maze1125 said:
yes
So surely you'd save a happy cat over a manic depressive who cannot be cured then?
no because a cat doesn't have a real thought process and the human does, quality of life means more than just happiness for example when the cat becomes obsesed with it's own mortality then we can talk, but you never anwsered my question would you rather kill your pet or murder a man walking by on the street which one will lead to more sleepless nights and if you choose the cat I think you need to look more heavily into the weight that your anwser holds

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Sorry OP, I didn't read your post, nor do I need to. My cat is family, and I don't know you. :) I've moved homes just for her. You? I don't know, and given the choice Dragon Age dialog text style, you gotta go. ;)

FaroeseGuy

May 11, 2010
I don't know the OP, nor have I seen him. So if someone called me and said they had two snipers, one aiming at my dog and one aiming at the OP, and i HAD to choose.
I'd choose my dog, I just would.