Poll: Who would you rather let die, your pet or me?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I'd choose my pet. There are certainly circumstances that might change my response, but in the vague situation that you outlined, I have a responsibility to care for my dogs. You, being human, have a responsibility to care for yourself.

Izrith

Jul 11, 2010
I normally do not get drawn into forum posts, but the OP is so ridiculously retarded that I felt compelled to reply.

You're completely batshit if you think that anyone would save your life, that of a complete unknown, to a creature close to them. There is no lack of empathy here, there is an abundance of empathy. Empathy for a creature unable to care for itself in a world dominated by humans. Undoubtedly, in this theoretical situation, you have done something to bring this upon yourself, and I would happily strangle you if it meant my pet bird lives. The assertion that animals are not 'conscious' or 'have a soul' is absurd. It reeks not only of religious undertones, but of an ignorant biggotry of someone without perspective. Every creature is self-aware and conscious. Not like a human, sure, but you cannot call a bird or a dog or a cat a dumb animal. I taught my cockatiel to count to eleven for gods sake. A persons life has no more value than any other animal, and if you think otherwise, its only because you have been conditioned to think so by society and the media.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Divine Miss Bee said:
man's inhumanity towards man is human nature. no sense whinging about it. there are great things about being human, and there are awful things. i like to focus on the good, and leave the world alone to do its mess in peace.
Probably for the best. But I don't see a reason to resign ourselves to it. Though I will watch the whining in the future, lol. Nice to "meet" you, bee.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Hmm. Should I save someone I've never met before, or my dog. Hmm...

Yeah... Sucks to be you OP.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
Izrith said:
I normally do not get drawn into forum posts, but the OP is so ridiculously retarded that I felt compelled to reply.

You're completely batshit if you think that anyone would save your life, that of a complete unknown, to a creature close to them. There is no lack of empathy here, there is an abundance of empathy. Empathy for a creature unable to care for itself in a world dominated by humans. Undoubtedly, in this theoretical situation, you have done something to bring this upon yourself, and I would happily strangle you if it meant my pet bird lives. The assertion that animals are not 'conscious' or 'have a soul' is absurd. It reeks not only of religious undertones, but of an ignorant biggotry of someone without perspective. Every creature is self-aware and conscious. Not like a human, sure, but you cannot call a bird or a dog or a cat a dumb animal. I taught my cockatiel to count to eleven for gods sake. A persons life has no more value than any other animal, and if you think otherwise, its only because you have been conditioned to think so by society and the media.
Pretty much this. I know this is all "book of questions" (I mean, really, what's the scenario-- I get a call late at night from a B movie villain "Kill your dog or a random internet guy DIES!!! Bwah ha ha!!!). But still, people value those who are close to them. And yeah, animals are sentinent. I live with a border collie, the canine world's answer to African grey parrots. I'm no Hollywood animal trainer, and she knows fifty odd words, figures out doors and seatbelts on her own, and I've even caught her in tool use (she'll take her dog toy and use it to grab things just out of reach). In all honesty, I'm pretty sure she's as smart as a two year old human, just a bit more capable (since a two year old dog is more or less adult). And she loves me. I doubt the OP does, and if he does, erm...well, I don't want to know.

Edit: actually, rather than turn this into so much Internet emo navel gazing, I see that some of the posters have used this thread as a venue for the Real Purpose of Teh Internets-- posting pictures of your pet! With no further ado, here is a picture of the little beastie:

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Treeinthewoods said:
If you really were in this situation and you really would choose the pet it means you are what is referred to as a sociopath and removing you from society would be beneficial.
No, that would not mean you are one. That means you care more about your animalbro. You are misusing the word. Please read this to avoid that in the future.

Heh, people have suggested I be removed waaaayyyyyy before this. :p Yet, I stand by my statement.

Kitteh first. :/
Sociopath (noun) - a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Someone who would save a pet over another human life fits this definition you provided perfectly.

Chronologger

Apr 5, 2010
Over 700 people chose their pet.

Really now, you're serious?

Think about it, your house is burning down for some reason, you walk into a room and you can see your dog and another human stuck under some collapsed ceiling.

And you people would go help the dog, knowing another human being has died because of your choice?
What the hell is wrong with you people?

EDIT: Did you people ever consider that the companionship that you had with your pet could be replaced and made even better by forming a companionship by whoever you just saved? You just saved someones life, surely they're going to be grateful, who wouldn't be? Not that companionship should be the main focus of this question obviously.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Treeinthewoods said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Treeinthewoods said:
If you really were in this situation and you really would choose the pet it means you are what is referred to as a sociopath and removing you from society would be beneficial.
No, that would not mean you are one. That means you care more about your animalbro. You are misusing the word. Please read this to avoid that in the future.

Heh, people have suggested I be removed waaaayyyyyy before this. :p Yet, I stand by my statement.

Kitteh first. :/
Sociopath (noun) - a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Someone who would save a pet over another human life fits this definition you provided perfectly.
Ehh, no.

In a situation, would you save someone who could save their own ass or...

A Defenseless kitten that can barely walk and just opened it's eyes yesterday.
The choice for me, is obvious.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Brawndo said:
These poll results are hardly surprising; a similar question was posed by another user on a forum I frequent and most people were more than happy to let that OP die, even kill and torture him, over their dog or cat. There is a serious lack of empathy in the modern world.

Even as a pet owner myself (I have a cat), I feel that people who put the lives of animals they own over other human beings are SELFISH. Selfish because their pets love them unconditionally and provide companionship, and they don't want to give this source of happiness up, while many people don't get along well with other humans. However, I personally could never live with the guilt knowing that I let another human being with family, friends, a significant other, a job where they provide value to others, hopes, and dreams die for an animal that is barely self-aware and mainly exists to make me happy and entertain me.

It would pain me to do so, but I would kill my cat myself so that any one of you may live.
Ho ho ho, Mr Righteous rides again.
What makes you so damn precious to the world to be worth more then an animal?
If you are really that selfless then I'll presume you wouldn't mind killing one of your family members for others?

Or maybe you are just a selfish bastard who would choose a preferred companion over others?

sam42ification

Nov 11, 2010
Brawndo said:
This is a serious question. I want to know whether you would rather save the life of your pet animal or me in an emergency.

I am a complete stranger and you know nothing about me, therefore I could be a disliked loner or beloved by family or friends, a dumbass or a prodigy, a criminal or a volunteer with children and the elderly. You can't know.

EDIT:

These poll results are hardly surprising; a similar question was posed by another user on a forum I frequent and most people were more than happy to let that OP die, even kill and torture him, over their dog or cat. There is a serious lack of empathy in the modern world.

Even as a pet owner myself (I have a cat), I feel that people who put the lives of animals they own over other human beings are SELFISH. Selfish because their pets love them unconditionally and provide companionship, and they don't want to give this source of happiness up, while many people don't get along well with other humans. However, I personally could never live with the guilt knowing that I let another human being with family, friends, a significant other, a job where they provide value to others, hopes, and dreams die for an animal that is barely self-aware and mainly exists to make me happy and entertain me.

It would pain me to do so, but I would kill my cat myself so that any one of you may live.

EDIT 2:

Yes, the poll question was poorly worded when compared to the content of the OP, sorry.
I love questions of moral because people won't choose according to their own opinion but rather the majority. You could be the most indivual, different, non-conformist person in the universe and you would still recsue the person. The people that said the pet wouldn't actually rescue their pet in that situation. Soceity for hundreds of years now have drilled into our heads what is right and wrong. If for example soceity has drilled in that your personal pet was much important then the life of anything else you would save your pet just because it's been taught to you like that since you were born.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
sam42ification said:
Brawndo said:
This is a serious question. I want to know whether you would rather save the life of your pet animal or me in an emergency.

I am a complete stranger and you know nothing about me, therefore I could be a disliked loner or beloved by family or friends, a dumbass or a prodigy, a criminal or a volunteer with children and the elderly. You can't know.

EDIT:

EDIT 2:

Yes, the poll question was poorly worded when compared to the content of the OP, sorry.
I love questions of moral because people won't choose according to their own opinion but rather the majority. You could be the most indivual, different, non-conformist person in the universe and you would still recsue the person. The people that said the pet wouldn't actually rescue their pet in that situation. Soceity for hundreds of years now have drilled into our heads what is right and wrong. If for example soceity has drilled in that your personal pet was much important then the life of anything else you would save your pet just because it's been taught to you like that since you were born.
Um, I'd still rescue my pets. :/

They are mah family, they are bros and sis'.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Don't say that we're selfish for doing this. That's adopting the Old Testament point of view that we're superior to animals, and choosing one over you is obviously an indication of extreme selfishness.

That's complete bullshit, and I'm choosing him over you because you made such a stupid thread :p

Seriously though, I'd probablychoose the person if it was a snap decision, but my dog otherwise. I know that might seem cold and also counter-intuitive, but it's honestly what I'd do.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
sam42ification said:
Soceity for hundreds of years now have drilled into our heads what is right and wrong. If for example soceity has drilled in that your personal pet was much important then the life of anything else you would save your pet just because it's been taught to you like that since you were born.
Luckily society decided that that would be stupid, and that it was better served by protecting other individuals that comprised itself. That said, this is a tough question to give the "wrong" answer to. You're basically giving the go ahead for somebody else to save an animal over you, because that's what you would do. Further more, if you could walk away from a person begging you for their life, a person who has done you no wrong, to save your personal teddy bear well that's all kinds of messed up don't you think? Bucking the hive mentality isn't about going your own way here or living your own life the way you want to, it's about ending somebody else's.

LegendaryGamer0 said:
Cute yes, but the idea is that they can't save themself.

Also what is up with your bio quote:

"Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. ... Anyone who ... does not partake of society is either a beast or a god." ~Aristotle's Politics

I'm trying to figure out how it relates here.

Izrith said:
There is no lack of empathy here, there is an abundance of empathy. Empathy for a creature unable to care for itself in a world dominated by humans.
I read the same line from Posion Ivy once. What if that person doesn't know they've been oppressing your bird. What if they did nothing to deserve this situation like a bridge collapsed or a house fire broke out?

Chronologger said:
Over 700 people chose their pet.

Really now, you're serious?

Think about it, your house is burning down for some reason, you walk into a room and you can see your dog and another human stuck under some collapsed ceiling.

And you people would go help the dog, knowing another human being has died because of your choice?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
I feel the way we do, but we are in the minority. I think the OP is making a lot of people mad an influencing the outcome negatively.

shiaramoon

LRR Stalkin'
Feb 1, 2011
I can't choose. Can I just give up my own life instead? I would not be able to bear the guilt of either choice. I either would betray a loving and loyal companion or end the life of another human being. I can't choose, I just... can't.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
ravensheart18 said:
BTW, being willing to kill animals is one of the known red flags that is used to identify possible sociopaths.
Where does being willing to kill people rank?

shiaramoon said:
I can't choose. Can I just give up my own life instead? I would not be able to bear the guilt of either choice. I either would betray a loving and loyal companion or end the life of another human being. I can't choose, I just... can't.
You are a saint. God bless ya for it.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Ghengis John said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Cute yes, but the idea is that they can't save themself.

Also what is up with your bio quote:

"Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. ... Anyone who ... does not partake of society is either a beast or a god." ~Aristotle's Politics

I'm trying to figure out how it relates here.
Yes, which is why I would save teh kitteh.

I fail to see what you are trying to say with my bio quote. :/