Poll: Who would you rather let die, your pet or me?

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I don't have a pet, but you still lose.

What? This world has a serious issue with overpopulation coming up.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Mercsenary said:
OP.

Its like that philosphical question.

There's a button. If you push the button, someone you dont know dies. But if you push the button, 1 million dollars is transmitted to your account. No strings attached. (except for the you just killed someone thing of course)
I think I could press the button.....I mean sure I may feel abit guilty and explaining where I got the money would be tough but if I could save my Dog over the OP, I think I could press the button....I mean its not like Im doing the killing...I just know that my actions are gonna get someone killed..again similar to OP's question only there my inaction(or letting my dog take priority) gets him killed even though I know it'll kill the OP

*RAISES flameshield*

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Ghengis John said:
ravensheart18 said:
BTW, being willing to kill animals is one of the known red flags that is used to identify possible sociopaths.
Where does being willing to kill people rank?
Human. :/

Because... well, look around the world. :/

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I'm trying to figure out how it relates here. Yes, which is why I would save teh kitteh.

I fail to see what you are trying to say with my bio quote. :/
Relax, I don't even know. Lol. There's something there but I don't care to figure it out.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Ghengis John said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
I'm trying to figure out how it relates here. Yes, which is why I would save teh kitteh.

I fail to see what you are trying to say with my bio quote. :/
Relax, I don't even know. Lol. There's something there but I don't care to figure it out.
You are having a really bad day with the coding aren't you? XD

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Treeinthewoods said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Treeinthewoods said:
If you really were in this situation and you really would choose the pet it means you are what is referred to as a sociopath and removing you from society would be beneficial.
No, that would not mean you are one. That means you care more about your animalbro. You are misusing the word. Please read this to avoid that in the future.

Heh, people have suggested I be removed waaaayyyyyy before this. :p Yet, I stand by my statement.

Kitteh first. :/
Sociopath (noun) - a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Someone who would save a pet over another human life fits this definition you provided perfectly.
You do realize that your definition has a flaw. "Moral responsibility" is EXTREMELY vague and undefinable. I can walk across town and find people that have an extremely different senes of what is moral and just and what is immoral and unjust.

To prove this, some people think the death penalty is right (it is MORALLY RIGHT to kill these people because they have done wrong), some people believe that the death penalty is wrong (it is MORALLY WRONG to kill anyone, despite their crimes). Whose the sociopath?

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
My pet has cancer.
So no, there would be no point in saving it over you, as it will die soon anyways.

That said, no animal, with the exception of the cooler endangered species(Wolves and Tigers that is), is worth a human life(and those two are only worth more if the human is a stranger or worse). You are more important than any animal on the sole basis of your being human(you are human, right?) And I don't need a reason why it works that way(although the fact that we have indoor plumbing, clear glass, sliced white bread, and POCKETS! seems like a preetty good one to me.)

Although I might want to be your friend afterwards, my monkey sphere is still mostly empty :(

TLDR; I save the person, any person, over my pet.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
Treeinthewoods said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Treeinthewoods said:
If you really were in this situation and you really would choose the pet it means you are what is referred to as a sociopath and removing you from society would be beneficial.
No, that would not mean you are one. That means you care more about your animalbro. You are misusing the word. Please read this to avoid that in the future.

Heh, people have suggested I be removed waaaayyyyyy before this. :p Yet, I stand by my statement.

Kitteh first. :/
Sociopath (noun) - a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Someone who would save a pet over another human life fits this definition you provided perfectly.
Sorry Doctor, I think your diagnosis is overly simplistic and we need to revoke your medical license.

BTW, being willing to kill animals is one of the known red flags that is used to identify possible sociopaths.
Except in this example we aren't killing animals for fun, we are deliberately allowing a person to die and saving an animal instead. That is to say, you would rather kill a person then an animal. I stand by my diagnosis.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Hell if all these people said they would sooner save their pet instead of a complete stranger... I don't even wanna know how many would sacrifice themselves to save someone else! Prolly like two maybe three. Fuck this, I don't want to live in a world where people value their fuckin animals over a human. You guys suck, no joke.
*walks away*
Screw this.
*proceeds to commit suicide*
And my will states that the op gets all my stuff, cuz nobody seems to like you.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
ravensheart18 said:
Killing an adult is not a red flag for being a sociopath. Most killers of adults are not sociopaths.

Killing helpless humans like kids is a red flag.
Just as a note here, the only requirement for being a sociopath is that you lack a social conscience. Being willing to kill an animal and being willing to sacrifice one for a human life are two very different things. I don't know what your educational level is but I did study some psychology for a while in college and the originally posted definition was right on the money.

Though I hasten to add, Legendary seems like a nice guy. I'm sure if I asked real nice he'd save me.

shiaramoon

LRR Stalkin'
Feb 1, 2011
Ghengis John said:
shiaramoon said:
I can't choose. Can I just give up my own life instead? I would not be able to bear the guilt of either choice. I either would betray a loving and loyal companion or end the life of another human being. I can't choose, I just... can't.
You are a saint. God bless ya for it.
Thanks, but I wouldn't say 'saint' so much as highly compassionate and very empathic. I just hate the idea of ending a life, no matter what that life is. Trust me though, I'm no saint.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
shiaramoon said:
Thanks, but I wouldn't say 'saint' so much as highly compassionate and very empathic. I just hate the idea of ending a life, no matter what that life is. Trust me though, I'm no saint.
Apologies, not my intent to embarrass you. But it's refreshing to see somebody so nice. At least in this instance. Take care then.

Leg End

Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Ghengis John said:
ravensheart18 said:
Killing an adult is not a red flag for being a sociopath. Most killers of adults are not sociopaths.

Killing helpless humans like kids is a red flag.
Though I hasten to add, Legendary seems like a nice guy. I'm sure if I asked real nice he'd save me.
Ehh, I'd save both, because I can. :p

Being crazy absolutely batshit insane enough to crash into a burning building to save a sandwich has benefits. :/

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
[HEADING=3]After the fall of civilization, you best protect yourselves.

Because I'm feeding you all to my cat.[/HEADING]