Poll: Who's excited for the new Christopher Paolini book then? [Discussion may contain spoilers]

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Seives-Sliver said:
Quite honestly I am wondering why it took so long to bring out the fourth one, the second and third came out in my freshman and sophmore years of highschool, but this one is two years later, why'd it take so long to make when the other three came out with barely a year or two between?
Eragon - 2002, Eldest - 2005, Brisigr - 2008, Inheritance - 2011 so it's actually following a a three year gap between them all

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
YES I WANT.
I love these books! They are the second best series in my opinion! After Harry Potter, I think I've read it more than all other book series combined. And that's not really an overstatement

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Eh as a writer he's not very impressive, I'm more hopeful that he's grown as a writer and while his Eragon books may never be good there is hope for his next series assuming there is one.

mastermerrick

Bored. That is all.
Jul 7, 2010
MorsePacific said:
Anchupom said:
It's not even like it couldn't work, Arya just didn't want to be with him. It's like seeing someone you know pine over a girl and you just want to hit them until they realize that they need to get over it. I feel like a romance is going to get shoe-horned in somehow, too.
I think that this will lead back to the whole "Arya as a Rider," just to give it another attempt.

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
I liked the first book a fair bit. The second book was a little too padded for my tastes. The third book felt insultingly padded and I got half-way or however much through it when it came out and I frankly no longer care about the series.

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
Seives-Sliver said:
Quite honestly I am wondering why it took so long to bring out the fourth one, the second and third came out in my freshman and sophmore years of highschool, but this one is two years later, why'd it take so long to make when the other three came out with barely a year or two between?
Eragon - 2002, Eldest - 2005, Brisigr - 2008, Inheritance - 2011 so it's actually following a a three year gap between them all
huh, seemed like a shorter time gap when they came out.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
mastermerrick said:
I think that this will lead back to the whole "Arya as a Rider," just to give it another attempt.
I think I would actually like it if there just wasn't a new rider. Eragon being the only real rider left and eventually dying and leaving a legacy of peace in Alagaesia would be a good way to make me not want to kill myself from a cliche overload. Bitter-sweet endings appeal to me.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Seives-Sliver said:
artanis_neravar said:
Seives-Sliver said:
I agree I remember a bg gap between Egaron and Eldest, then I thought it was only a year between Eldest and Brisigr. must have somethign to do with how much time I have to think about it

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MorsePacific said:
mastermerrick said:
I think I would actually like it if there just wasn't a new rider. Eragon being the only real rider left and eventually dying and leaving a legacy of peace in Alagaesia would be a good way to make me not want to kill myself from a cliche overload. Bitter-sweet endings appeal to me.
Kind of like how I want Gears to end with them winning, but nothing left for them to rebuild, and not enough people to rebuild even if there was anything left. So even though Humanity won out in the end they still die out

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
I might read it to see how it ends. Maybe. If someone gets it for me, I can borrow it from someone else, or I really can't find anything else at the bookstore I want to read.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Usually I give a massive rant about how Christopher Paolini plagiarized his entire series from a large number of significantly better authors, but I'm in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll just propose a drinking game: every time you're reading Eragon and you find something that was taken from another book, you take a shot. If you're not roaring drunk by the end, then you're doing it wrong.

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
Seives-Sliver said:
artanis_neravar said:
Seives-Sliver said:
I agree I remember a bg gap between Egaron and Eldest, then I thought it was only a year between Eldest and Brisigr. must have somethign to do with how much time I have to think about it
Yeah :/ I didn't think about it much, but it feels like over 3 years since the third one came out.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Bobbity said:
Usually I have thus massive rant about how Christopher Paolini plagiarized his entire series from a large number of significantly better authors, but im in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll just propose a drinking game: every time youre reading Eragon and you find something that was taken from another book, you take a shot. If you're not roaring drunk by the end, then you're doing it wrong.
Because you can pick out some basic stuff it's plagiarizing? Get over it already people they only thing it has similar to Star Wars is that he's a farm boy who goes off on an adventure with him mysterious mentor. The only thing it has in common with Lord of the rings is elves and dwarves.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Seives-Sliver said:
artanis_neravar said:
Seives-Sliver said:
artanis_neravar said:
Seives-Sliver said:
Yeah :/ I didn't think about it much, but it feels like over 3 years since the third one came out.
Defiantly I would have guessed 5 at least

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
Kind of like how I want Gears to end with them winning, but nothing left for them to rebuild, and not enough people to rebuild even if there was anything left. So even though Humanity won out in the end they still die out
Exactly. It would be nice to see Paolini do something different. A lot of writers are afraid to take a series in that direction because I'm sure plenty of fans would be pissed, but that's why it's interesting to me. I remember writing a short story when I was younger and my girlfriend at the time being absolutely outraged that I killed the main character. It just seems like ground that hasn't been covered yet.

You don't always need happy ending with dragons farting rainbows and vegan elves having intense parties with all kinds of crazy natural hallucinogens and the main character getting married while he solemnly recalls those who died for him during his quest. Sometimes the best hero is a martyr.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
My friend bought the first one, read most of it and then never picked it up again. She and I don't always have the same taste in books, but I figured if she couldn't even finish it - and she's pedantic when it comes to finish books no matter what - then I couldn't be that bothered either.

And I don't read much fantasy any more. I don't mean to sound elitist; I just can't seem to be able to concentrate on a plot more complicated than boy-meets-girl or vicar-in-the-kitchen-with-a-candlestick nowadays. Except Terry Pratchett books. And I am reading (or rather listening to) the Dresden Files. So there is that.

TL;DR: Didn't read the first three so I won't be reading this one.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MorsePacific said:
artanis_neravar said:
Exactly. It would be nice to see Paolini do something different. A lot of writers are afraid to take a series in that direction because I'm sure plenty of fans would be pissed, but that's why it's interesting to me. I remember writing a short story when I was younger and my girlfriend at the time being absolutely outraged that I killed the main character. It just seems like ground that hasn't been covered yet.

You don't always need happy ending with dragons farting rainbows and vegan elves having intense parties with all kinds of crazy natural hallucinogens and the main character getting married while he solemnly recalls those who died for him during his quest. Sometimes the best hero is a martyr.
Exactly! I know that after watching the newest Transformer I really wanted Bumblebee to die (if you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about) because it would have had a major effect on me and the mood of the story

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
Bobbity said:
Usually I give a massive rant about how Christopher Paolini plagiarized his entire series from a large number of significantly better authors, but I'm in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll just propose a drinking game: every time you're reading Eragon and you find something that was taken from another book, you take a shot. If you're not roaring drunk by the end, then you're doing it wrong.
That's maddness... you'll be dead in 3 chapters!

Anyway, the books are well-written but lack originality.
Arya will be the next rider.
LIES! FALLACIES! DECEPTION! It will be Orik and I refuse to listen to anything else

Doctor Glocktor

Aug 1, 2009
Green? What? Wheres the hell's Galbatorix's dragon? Dammit.

But seriously, I can't wait to get the book so I can finally be done with this damn series.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
]Exactly! I know that after watching the newest Transformer I really wanted Bumblebee to die (if you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about) because it would have had a major effect on me and the mood of the story
A friend of mine had a nice little anecdote in that vein for me about Dark of the Moon. Apparently there was a scene in which Sentinel was supposed to kill one of the twins which results in the other attempting to fight him and inevitably losing. A scene like that would have heavily redeemed the twins in my eyes and made the entire thing much more palpable.

Instead, we get treated to the same thing as before, except now Optimus isn't doing the dying. If Paolini has the sheer balls to let his "cycle" end that way, I will forever be impressed by his writing and feel like it makes up for anything I disliked about the previous books.