Poll: Who's excited for the new Christopher Paolini book then? [Discussion may contain spoilers]

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MorsePacific said:
artanis_neravar said:
]Exactly! I know that after watching the newest Transformer I really wanted Bumblebee to die (if you've seen it you'll know what I'm talking about) because it would have had a major effect on me and the mood of the story
A friend of mine had a nice little anecdote in that vein for me about Dark of the Moon. Apparently there was a scene in which Sentinel was supposed to kill one of the twins which results in the other attempting to fight him and inevitably losing. A scene like that would have heavily redeemed the twins in my eyes and made the entire thing much more palpable.

Instead, we get treated to the same thing as before, except now Optimus isn't doing the dying. If Paolini has the sheer balls to let his "cycle" end that way, I will forever be impressed by his writing and feel like it makes up for anything I disliked about the previous books.
The twins weren't even in the movie I kind of forgot about them till just now, but that would have been an awesome scene

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Anchupom said:
mastermerrick said:
There was rumors that Arya MIGHT be the next Rider. Does anyone know how that is shaping up?

OT: I am not going to go nuts over this book, but I will get it, if only to get some closure and complete the set at my house.
It sort of makes sense, if you consider that her magic usually manifests in the colour green, and that Eragon's colour magic matches Saphira, and that the dragon on this book is green.
If you follow that logic.
Magic = colour = dragon
Eragon = blue = Saphira

Yay, over-simplifying things.
The magic changes to match the color of your dragon, so Arya's being green is just a coincidence. Personally I hope the dwarf is the new rider
Very true, if the final dragon hatches, it'll be for an established character and, as every Doctor Who fan knows, you should never ignore coincidences.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
The twins weren't even in the movie I kind of forgot about them till just now, but that would have been an awesome scene
That scene is actually why. They were so incredibly panned in the last movie that any mention of them was basically removed and when they couldn't fit that scene in it was like they never existed.

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
mastermerrick said:
MorsePacific said:
Anchupom said:
It's not even like it couldn't work, Arya just didn't want to be with him. It's like seeing someone you know pine over a girl and you just want to hit them until they realize that they need to get over it. I feel like a romance is going to get shoe-horned in somehow, too.
I think that this will lead back to the whole "Arya as a Rider," just to give it another attempt.
Oh Arceus I hope not.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Bobbity said:
Usually I have thus massive rant about how Christopher Paolini plagiarized his entire series from a large number of significantly better authors, but im in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll just propose a drinking game: every time youre reading Eragon and you find something that was taken from another book, you take a shot. If you're not roaring drunk by the end, then you're doing it wrong.
Because you can pick out some basic stuff it's plagiarizing? Get over it already people they only thing it has similar to Star Wars is that he's a farm boy who goes off on an adventure with him mysterious mentor. The only thing it has in common with Lord of the rings is elves and dwarves.
Not quite.

Roran is a clone of Perrin from WoT, the blue flaming sword and the silver mark on Eragon's palm are from the Belgariad, the bridge scene from the first book was ripped almost entirely word for word from the Elenium, and the system of magic directly from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And that's just for starters...

Admittedly, it's fun to read, but you have to realise that there is absolutely NO originality contained within that series.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Bobbity said:
artanis_neravar said:
Bobbity said:
Usually I have thus massive rant about how Christopher Paolini plagiarized his entire series from a large number of significantly better authors, but im in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll just propose a drinking game: every time youre reading Eragon and you find something that was taken from another book, you take a shot. If you're not roaring drunk by the end, then you're doing it wrong.
Because you can pick out some basic stuff it's plagiarizing? Get over it already people they only thing it has similar to Star Wars is that he's a farm boy who goes off on an adventure with him mysterious mentor. The only thing it has in common with Lord of the rings is elves and dwarves.
Not quite.

Roran is a clone of Perrin from WoT, the blue flaming sword and the silver mark on Eragon's palm are from the Belgariad, the bridge scene from the first book was ripped almost entirely word for word from the Elenium, and the system of magic directly from A Wizard of Earthsea.

Admittedly, it's fun to read, but you have to realise that there is absolutely NO originality contained within that series.
Then I apologize, I haven't read any of those books, and I also have never heard anyone complain about him stealing from them, just Star Wars and LotR

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Anchupom said:
artanis_neravar said:
Anchupom said:
mastermerrick said:
There was rumors that Arya MIGHT be the next Rider. Does anyone know how that is shaping up?

OT: I am not going to go nuts over this book, but I will get it, if only to get some closure and complete the set at my house.
It sort of makes sense, if you consider that her magic usually manifests in the colour green, and that Eragon's colour magic matches Saphira, and that the dragon on this book is green.
Magic = colour = dragon
Eragon = blue = Saphira

The magic changes to match the color of your dragon, so Arya's being green is just a coincidence. Personally I hope the dwarf is the new rider
Very true, if the final dragon hatches, it'll be for an established character and, as every Doctor Who fan knows, you should never ignore coincidences.
Exactly why I think it will be Orik, they keep mentioning that there has never been a dwarf rider before

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Bobbity said:
Usually I give a massive rant about how Christopher Paolini plagiarized his entire series from a large number of significantly better authors, but I'm in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll just propose a drinking game: every time you're reading Eragon and you find something that was taken from another book, you take a shot. If you're not roaring drunk in the hospital by the end, then you're doing it wrong.
Fixed :)

Yeah, these books are epically ripped off of anything and everything. The first one was kind of cool for a book a kid wrote, but the rest have no excuse.

locoartero

Jan 3, 2011
Liked "Eragon" but lost all interest halfway through "Eldest". Bought "Brisingr" but didn't get caught by it either

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Omigod, excited doesn't even begin to cover it! When I visited B&N a couple weeks ago and saw a billboard thing of it standing out there, I pretty much flew over so I could get deets.

I am just ever so psyched!

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
I used to really like the books. Then I disliked them a lot. And now I'm just meh.

He did the biggest no-no that a book series can do for me: Claim to be a trilogy then decide that there needs to be more so alter that and just call is a series.
I really dislike that as there are three implications:
1. A storyline the author had planned is now being bloated with nonsense because the author felt like it.
or
2. A story lacked something that it needed to begin with (a sign of a shit author, as he should have at least semi-planned it out, content for another book inside the planned trilogy isn't going to just appear out of thin air, if his outline for his story arch was weak enough to require more books he should have acknowledged that before planning a trilogy and announcing it as such).
or
3. More money, which would be fine if he had simply tacked on more books (adding more books to the end is like saying you just want more out of it, putting books in the middle is like saying, I want more money because I just do so instead of letting you know the story in 3 books here's a couple more so anyone who was remotely interested in the originally story is forced to by more books to get the entire original plot line), but instead he decided to bloat the story.

In any case, the reason why I'm meh about it now is that it tries a bit too hard to be epic fantasy for me (without trying to bring originality). It's very "This is what a fantasy is as defined by Tolkien, so here's more of the same!"
I wouldn't say he plagiarized but he definitely went beyond just being inspired by. He played to stereotypical races as if there's some magic code he must follow (including his bad guys, can't remember their name, he just renamed orcs/trolls/whatevers). It's not an interesting read to me when you offer more of the same in some other overly thought out and complicated fantasy world.
It's so strange to have to say this but it's the only thing I give Stephanie Meyer credit for. At least her vampires did something other than suck blood and hiss at people as they burned to death in sunlight (or some variation, like turning to ash). It may not be very interesting, but at least sparkling is somewhat more original than just sticking to conventions on fantasy characters.

Odd note: I'd suggest Monster Blood Tattoo for a series that defines what I dislike about what people think everyone expects from high fantasy. The author has wonderful ideas and interesting characters, but they tend to get lost behind his obsessive need to tell the reader about places that the main character never even goes (or won't go until another book). It's like high fantasy has become one massive world building trial genre. It's not high fantasy if you haven't drawn a map of every single corner of the continent (bonus points for entire world) and invented at least 3 languages (probably all based on elvish).

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Anchupom said:
artanis_neravar said:
Anchupom said:
mastermerrick said:

Magic = colour = dragon
Eragon = blue = Saphira

Exactly why I think it will be Orik, they keep mentioning that there has never been a dwarf rider before
True. But Orik is already Grimsborith of the Durmst Ingitirum and King of Dwarves. It'll be an overloading of responsibility and power in my opinion.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Bobbity said:
artanis_neravar said:
Bobbity said:
Not quite.

Not to mention (in the Star Wars ripoff vain) he is the "last" of an ancient order of warriors who were destroyed by one of their own. Also, the plot and how it plays out, is almost exactly the same. Take the first part of the story, princess is attacked by bad guy, send away something for old wise master to retrieve, fresh faced farmboy finds it, finds old wise master, gets his family killed as a result, runs away to train with old master, finds rougeish man who helps them...

Sure, these are all well known tropes and archetypes, however, in this case I found them too glaring to ignore.

I will not be buying this book, although I might read it at a library or something just so I have more to complain about :p

Also, go read A Game of Thrones, its a far better book.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Seives-Sliver said:
Quite honestly I am wondering why it took so long to bring out the fourth one, the second and third came out in my freshman and sophmore years of highschool, but this one is two years later, why'd it take so long to make when the other three came out with barely a year or two between?
Probably because he's an adult now, and grating his teeth at what he wrote as a sixteen year-old.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
So help me if I buy the fourth book looking for some type of closure and find there's going to be a book 5 and 6...

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
GrimTuesday said:
Bobbity said:
artanis_neravar said:
Bobbity said:
Not quite.

Not to mention (in the Star Wars ripoff vain) he is the "last" of an ancient order of warriors who were destroyed by one of their own. Also, the plot and how it plays out, is almost exactly the same. Take the first part of the story, princess is attacked by bad guy, send away something for old wise master to retrieve, fresh faced farmboy finds it, finds old wise master, gets his family killed as a result, runs away to train with old master, finds rougeish man who helps them...

Sure, these are all well known tropes and archetypes, however, in this case I found them too glaring to ignore.

I will not be buying this book, although I might read it at a library or something just so I have more to complain about :p

Also, go read A Game of Thrones, its a far better book.
You forgot to mention that the person who did all the killing of the riders was the king, not the kings minion, the kings minion died before the books started, the master is the boys father, the boys brother sets off on an adventure of revenge, the roguish man is the son of the kings minion and becomes evil