Poll: Who's excited for the new Christopher Paolini book then? [Discussion may contain spoilers]

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
So I've recently pre-ordered Inheritance (The fourth book by Christopher Paolini, after Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr) and I've just finished re-reading his series so far. I'm in love with the world of Alagaësia, Eragon's quest, Murtagh's future, what will happen in the fight against Galbatorix, and everything else.
This book excites me more than the last 3 Harry Potter film releases combined. I just can't wait.

So in addition to the poll, what do you think about the books? Who's your favourite character? Favourite moment? Speculation on what will happen in Inheritance? I want this to be a full-blown discussion about the series, and I hope at least SOME Escapists will answer me.

If you're interested, here's the cover for Inheritance:

And please please please, if you've seen the film "Eragon", read the book! It's SO much better!​

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I read about halfway through the second book.

When it came out.

Haven't touched one of the books since.

Chalk me up as "Not in the slightest".

mastermerrick

Bored. That is all.
Jul 7, 2010
There was rumors that Arya MIGHT be the next Rider. Does anyone know how that is shaping up?

OT: I am not going to go nuts over this book, but I will get it, if only to get some closure and complete the set at my house.

Dec 14, 2009
Nah, I read the first 2 books years ago, but I've moved on to better written books since then.

If you haven't read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it's sequals, you really should. They're in my top 5 best books I've ever read.

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
That book is teal right?

so whos the new dragon, and the new rider, is all I'm wondering.
I'd say it's more emerald. (trololo)
But yeah, it's real. Search inheritance book 4 and you'll get a load of pre-order links etc. And the official site too.

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Nah, I read the first 2 books years ago, but I've moved on to better written books since then.

If you haven't read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and it's sequals, you really should. They're in my top 5 best books I've ever read.
I'll give them a go when I have some free time and some money, thanks. :D

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
Quite honestly I am wondering why it took so long to bring out the fourth one, the second and third came out in my freshman and sophmore years of highschool, but this one is two years later, why'd it take so long to make when the other three came out with barely a year or two between?

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
Not very excited at all. I gave up reading them when I was younger and trying to go back through them is a test of my patience. Inevitably, Eragon will get into an "epic" battle with Galbatorix and Galbatorix will die, but not before Murtagh either sacrifices himself or helps Eragon in the fight. There'll probably be a big war scene and it'll all be very anti-climactic.

As a whole, I don't hate the series. I thought the first three were quite good when I was younger. They just fail to impress after my tastes have changed so much. The first one in particular is hard for me to get through because you can really tell how old Paolini was when he wrote it. It feels like something I would have written during my "I want to be an author!" phase and quite a bit of it does seem like it was lifted whole-sale from Star Wars.

I don't think I have any particular favorite moment, but I can distinctly remember a scene in the third book where Eragon's caravan is ambushed that sticks out. By far my least favorite moments are whenever Eragon starts pining over Aria. Or Arya. However it's spelled.

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
mastermerrick said:
There was rumors that Arya MIGHT be the next Rider. Does anyone know how that is shaping up?

OT: I am not going to go nuts over this book, but I will get it, if only to get some closure and complete the set at my house.
It sort of makes sense, if you consider that her magic usually manifests in the colour green, and that Eragon's colour magic matches Saphira, and that the dragon on this book is green.
If you follow that logic.
Magic = colour = dragon
Eragon = blue = Saphira

Yay, over-simplifying things.

Tratchet

Jul 22, 2011
I read the first two, but didn't get around to reading the third. I recently tried to read the first book again, and couldn't really get back into it, but if your excited for it than more power to you. Hope it lives up to your expectations.

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
MorsePacific said:
Not very excited at all. I gave up reading them when I was younger and trying to go back through them is a test of my patience. Inevitably, Eragon will get into an "epic" battle with Galbatorix and Galbatorix will die, but not before Murtagh either sacrifices himself or helps Eragon in the fight. There'll probably be a big war scene and it'll all be very anti-climactic.

As a whole, I don't hate the series. I thought the first three were quite good when I was younger. They just fail to impress after my tastes have changed so much. The first one in particular is hard for me to get through because you can really tell how old Paolini was when he wrote it. It feels like something I would have written during my "I want to be an author!" phase and quite a bit of it does seem like it was lifted whole-sale from Star Wars.

I don't think I have any particular favorite moment, but I can distinctly remember a scene in the third book where Eragon's caravan is ambushed that sticks out. By far my least favorite moments are whenever Eragon starts pining over Aria. Or Arya. However it's spelled.
Yeah he really overworked the Eragon/Arya thing, didn't he? It almost got to the point of "shut up, man up and accept that it's not going to work."

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
Seives-Sliver said:
Quite honestly I am wondering why it took so long to bring out the fourth one, the second and third came out in my freshman and sophmore years of highschool, but this one is two years later, why'd it take so long to make when the other three came out with barely a year or two between?
Methinks he had quite a bit of writer's block. Or had Eldest half-written when Eragon got published.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
Anchupom said:
Yeah he really overworked the Eragon/Arya thing, didn't he? It almost got to the point of "shut up, man up and accept that it's not going to work."
It's not even like it couldn't work, Arya just didn't want to be with him. It's like seeing someone you know pine over a girl and you just want to hit them until they realize that they need to get over it. I feel like a romance is going to get shoe-horned in somehow, too.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Anchupom said:
mastermerrick said:

It sort of makes sense, if you consider that her magic usually manifests in the colour green, and that Eragon's colour magic matches Saphira, and that the dragon on this book is green.
If you follow that logic.
Magic = colour = dragon
Eragon = blue = Saphira

Yay, over-simplifying things.
The magic changes to match the color of your dragon, so Arya's being green is just a coincidence. Personally I hope the dwarf is the new rider

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
Tratchet said:
I read the first two, but didn't get around to reading the third. I recently tried to read the first book again, and couldn't really get back into it, but if your excited for it than more power to you. Hope it lives up to your expectations.
Me too, I'm starting to worry that I'm getting overhyped and that it'll be a let-down now...
Oh well, I demand closure.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Anchupom said:
emeraldrafael said:
That book is teal right?

so whos the new dragon, and the new rider, is all I'm wondering.
I'd say it's more emerald. (trololo)
But yeah, it's real. Search inheritance book 4 and you'll get a load of pre-order links etc. And the official site too.
no, I think you're right. I remember about an emerald egg in the books.

just each book showed the cover dragon. So i'm curious who this one will be.