Poll: Who's excited for the new Christopher Paolini book then? [Discussion may contain spoilers]

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Bobbity said:
artanis_neravar said:
Bobbity said:
Usually I have thus massive rant about how Christopher Paolini plagiarized his entire series from a large number of significantly better authors, but im in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll just propose a drinking game: every time youre reading Eragon and you find something that was taken from another book, you take a shot. If you're not roaring drunk by the end, then you're doing it wrong.
Because you can pick out some basic stuff it's plagiarizing? Get over it already people they only thing it has similar to Star Wars is that he's a farm boy who goes off on an adventure with him mysterious mentor. The only thing it has in common with Lord of the rings is elves and dwarves.
Not quite.

Roran is a clone of Perrin from WoT, the blue flaming sword and the silver mark on Eragon's palm are from the Belgariad, the bridge scene from the first book was ripped almost entirely word for word from the Elenium, and the system of magic directly from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And that's just for starters...

Admittedly, it's fun to read, but you have to realise that there is absolutely NO originality contained within that series.
Then I apologize, I haven't read any of those books, and I also have never heard anyone complain about him stealing from them, just Star Wars and LotR
Haha, don't worry about it; they're all wonderful books, but all but the most succesful ones are disappointingly obscure in the mainstream. I'm not really trying to put Eragon down - it's fun to read, and I probably will get the last one - but it's always annoyed me that the other books don't get the recognition they deserve.

Oh, and for the record, Arya's totally gonna be the last rider. No idea how she'll get her hands on that egg, though.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
lovest harding said:
It's not high fantasy if you haven't drawn a map of every single corner of the continent (bonus points for entire world) and invented at least 3 languages (probably all based on elvish).
All fair points, and I understand where you're coming from with them. Even with the Twilight, I admit, albeit while hating myself, that Meyers was original.

Although on an attempt a humour, I think you'll find that the only language based on Elvish (which is actually an adopted lanuage anyway) is the human language, but that has parts of Dwarvish in them. Dwarvish was spoken before the Elves reached Aglaesia, and Urgals speak a language very different to Elvish and human, most similar (but still rather different to Dwarvish)

(that's why I chose that bit to quote you on, because I wanted to display my nerd-dom.)
;D

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
That book is teal right?

so whos the new dragon, and the new rider, is all I'm wondering.

it's probably that third egg that's male saphira talks about. and I can't properly guess who the new rider is

William Ossiss

Apr 8, 2010
i soaked up the first three books. then i eagerly awaited the next one. Mr. Paolini was too young when he stumbled upon this glorious gemstone. he gained wealth, popularity, and a fan following. he then buckled when pressured to change some key features of his book to movie license, (or he sold it without thinking) and lost out on his book. he has taken his sweet time to write the final chapter, after which he will fade from popular main stream knowledge. it's like what happened with J.K. Rowling. She writes one series, sinks everyting she is into that, and BOOM. done. no more, lets just keep milking harry potter for all it's worth. ill be reading this last book, but i wont be buying it. i can patiently wait for it from my local library.

Christopher Paolini was a budding artist that bloomed too soon. he has lost all of the wind beneath his wings... but i DO enjoy that he got his dragon physiology correct. two legged flying reptiles are WYVERNS!

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
Bobbity said:
Oh, and for the record, Arya's totally gonna be the last rider. No idea how she'll get her hands on that egg, though.
Seven crowns says that Murtagh steals it.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I dunno, I really enjoyed the first two books but I never finished the third one and the movie left a sour taste in my mouth.

I might check it out just to see how it all ends because I really did love the first two.

Greatjusticeman

May 29, 2011
The only reason I'd ever read it is just to see if Christopher improved.

The last three books were godawful. Read them only so that as me, an aspiring writer, helped me to know what not to do when writing a book.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
GrimTuesday said:
Bobbity said:
artanis_neravar said:
Bobbity said:
Usually I have thus massive rant about how Christopher Paolini plagiarized his entire series from a large number of significantly better authors, but im in a hurry to get out the door, so I'll just propose a drinking game: every time youre reading Eragon and you find something that was taken from another book, you take a shot. If you're not roaring drunk by the end, then you're doing it wrong.
Because you can pick out some basic stuff it's plagiarizing? Get over it already people they only thing it has similar to Star Wars is that he's a farm boy who goes off on an adventure with him mysterious mentor. The only thing it has in common with Lord of the rings is elves and dwarves.
Not quite.

Roran is a clone of Perrin from WoT, the blue flaming sword and the silver mark on Eragon's palm are from the Belgariad, the bridge scene from the first book was ripped almost entirely word for word from the Elenium, and the system of magic directly from A Wizard of Earthsea.
And that's just for starters...

Admittedly, it's fun to read, but you have to realise that there is absolutely NO originality contained within that series.
Not to mention (in the Star Wars ripoff vain) he is the "last" of an ancient order of warriors who were destroyed by one of their own. Also, the plot and how it plays out, is almost exactly the same. Take the first part of the story, princess is attacked by bad guy, send away something for old wise master to retrieve, fresh faced farmboy finds it, finds old wise master, gets his family killed as a result, runs away to train with old master, finds rougeish man who helps them...

Sure, these are all well known tropes and archetypes, however, in this case I found them too glaring to ignore.

I will not be buying this book, although I might read it at a library or something just so I have more to complain about :p

Also, go read A Game of Thrones, its a far better book.
You forgot to mention that the person who did all the killing of the riders was the king, not the kings minion, the kings minion died before the books started, the master is the boys father, the boys brother sets off on an adventure of revenge, the roguish man is the son of the kings minion and becomes evil
Obviously, you can only make the comparisons so far, however, as others have pointed out, there are other works that Paolini takes from, its not just Star Wars.

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
TheSapphireKnight said:
I dunno, I really enjoyed the first two books but I never finished the third one and the movie left a sour taste in my mouth.

I might check it out just to see how it all ends because I really did love the first two.
If you didn't finish the third one, then the fourth might be a bit confusing. There's a lot of sudden reveal of important plot points near the end of Brisingr, I recommend reading a synopsis at least.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Honestly, I find his books comparable to the average fanfic out there. In other words: poorly authored tripe.
So no, I'm not excited.

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
mastermerrick said:
littlealicewhite said:
I think the new rider will be Elva.
That would be (for lack of better term) f*cking scary.
The only thing that would be worse than that is if she summoned spirits and turned into a Shade.
Or whatever a female variant of it is.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Exactly why I think it will be Orik, they keep mentioning that there has never been a dwarf rider before
No, they keep mentioning there can't a dwarf rider.

(Humans had to be put into the contract, otherwise there wouldn't be human riders either)

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
this isnt my name said:
Arontala said:
Not after Brisingr. The first two books I liked well enough, but Brisinger is 763 pages of absolute boring.
This. I read rough eragon and from what I remember I enjoyed it, read tough eldest, I think I enjoyed it. But brisingr nope. It ws just dull, I dont remember much of hat happened in it, but I know I didnt enjoy it.

I cant remember what book it was in but I facepalmed when they had the "emo off" "Ok whoever cuts themselves the most times wins". Eragon also needed a slap, and to shut the fuck up about Arya. Also didnt his ears become pointy? Why is he becoming an elf ?

Also its cliche. I enjoyed it then, but not anymore. Still got the books though.
The physical change that a human rider undergoes is because of the magic interweaving the 3 races. (dragons, elves, humans)
Elves get their longevity from the dragons, human riders get this when they're bonded with a dragon hatchling, and the physical changes are usually done slowly but due to the dire circumstances and some dragon jiggery-pokery, his process was sped up a lot.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Hafrael said:
artanis_neravar said:
Exactly why I think it will be Orik, they keep mentioning that there has never been a dwarf rider before

(Humans had to be put into the contract, otherwise there wouldn't be human riders either)
Just because dwarfs aren't in it now, doesn't mean they can't be added like they did with humans

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I read the first two books, bought the third from a bookstore bargain bin,
a family member of mine borrowed it before I could read it, has never returned it,
and admitably... I haven't missed it.

Cheery Lunatic

Aug 18, 2009
They're not amazing, but I did enjoy reading the last 3 books.
Partly because I picked up Eragon when I was really young.

The romance is really, really forced though, won't lie. I always wince at the I WUUVVVV YOUUUU parts.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
I like his books and think they're exquisitely written but I don't think they have much character of their own. The culture and backstory is well thought out (even if he is essentially working off of every high fantasy genre story ever). The story is pretty predictable and the characters are pretty samey for the most part, so, I'll buy the book, but I'm not totally geeking out over it like I am for say, the new Assassin's Creed game.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
artanis_neravar said:
Hafrael said:
artanis_neravar said:

Just because dwarfs aren't in it now, doesn't mean they can't be added like they did with humans
Considering the dwarves would be sickened by that, and how Orik's crown was only barely won, I really doubt that he's gonna go against the established mythos.