Poll: Who's excited for the new Christopher Paolini book then? [Discussion may contain spoilers]

JambalayaBob

Dec 11, 2010
No offense, but the Eragon series kinda . . . sucks. I read the first one, started the second, then I stopped because I had to question why I was even reading it. I was in middle school when I read the first one btw, and I'm sure the majority of his fans were in middle school when they last read the books. I was in high school by the time I tried the 2nd one, which I'm sure is why I stopped. Point is, nostalgia doesn't make things good. Plus I got really pissed off at the map of the world because of its ridiculous inconsistencies, but that doesn't really matter too much.

Also, "Eragon is the first book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, who began writing the book at the age of 15." This sentence pisses me right the fuck off. Nobody should start writing full fledged novels at the age of 15. I tried to write a novel when I was 16, and there was a reason I didn't finish it. I didn't get burned out or anything, I just looked at it after I was quite a few thousand words in, and I humbly said to myself, "Started out okay, but this is shit," and truly, it was.

Christopher Paolini's story should be a humbling, cautionary tale for any aspiring authors. Look before you leap, but before you even look, make sure you actually know what the fuck you're doing. I think this dude really doesn't know what he's doing, especially since he was appalled at the lack of "quality writing" in fantasy when his dialogue is about as rich and nuanced as a horny 14 year old's FF7 fanfic (albeit markedly less disturbing).

TLDR: Eragon isn't good because its author is way too ambitious, and the sheer fact that this series is the only thing he's really written proves it on so many levels.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Hafrael said:
artanis_neravar said:
Hafrael said:
artanis_neravar said:
Exactly why I think it will be Orik, they keep mentioning that there has never been a dwarf rider before
No, they keep mentioning there can't a dwarf rider.

(Humans had to be put into the contract, otherwise there wouldn't be human riders either)
Just because dwarfs aren't in it now, doesn't mean they can't be added like they did with humans
Considering the dwarves would be sickened by that, and how Orik's crown was only barely won, I really doubt that he's gonna go against the established mythos.
Stop smashing all of my hopes and dreams *insert dramatic crying here*

A Tasty Burger

Apr 16, 2010
I don't read childrens fantasy books. I'm enjoying my Lovecraft, Howard, Tolkien, Salvatore and Martin fantasy books though.

Oliman43

Sep 8, 2010
Hafrael said:
artanis_neravar said:
Exactly why I think it will be Orik, they keep mentioning that there has never been a dwarf rider before

(Humans had to be put into the contract, otherwise there wouldn't be human riders either)
But wasn't the contract technically broken when the King killed all the other riders?

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I enjoyed them, and I will buy it. Is it perfect, no, it's entertaining though. And a bit easier to read than Game of Thrones, though I enjoy that as well.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Ok.
Favorite character is probably Arya, favorite moment is definitely when Roran kills almost 200 soldiers. speculation is my area of specialty. The name Galbatorix is looking for is probably the name of the ancient language, or maybe the name of the continent of Alagaesia. I think the Dragon will hatch for Arya. This will help even the balance between her and Eragon, allowing them to get together. Arya's father will turn out not to be the last king Evandar. It will be revealed that she is Oromis' daugher, and she will inherit his sword(and all the power stored in it) as well as hatching the green dragon.

Thorn will die, changing Murtagh's true name, allowing him to escape Galbatorix's control. He might actually steal the green egg, hoping it will hatch for him, and that's how Arya will get it. Arya and Eragon will kill him together, and in the end they will sail off together, either bound for the Elven continent, or searching for other dragons, or maybe just going to Vroenguard.(pursuant to Angela's prophesy of him leaving Alagaesia forever) Nasuada will marry Oren. Roran will become King.

The rock of Kuthian is the thing that I'm least sure of. It could be the vault where the wild dragons stored their hearts before the Dragon Riders were formed. It could also be the center of Alagaesia, and Kuthian is actually the name of Alagaesia in the ancient language, or it could be the name of the Ancient language. The way the word tends to bounce around the heads of anyone with magical blood makes me think that it is a powerful word in the ancient language. Probably the name that Galbatorix is looking for. The other possibility I see is that the "speak your name thing" is because it is actually the hidden vault that holds the heart of the first Eragon's dragon, and it will unlock for a rider with the same name, which would be an extremely old and powerful heart.

Told you I was uncertain about the rock of Kuthian, we just haven't had enough information about it. I'm 90% sure about the Oromis/Arya thing, and probably 80% about the Murtagh/thorn/egg thing. Everything else about 50%.

Before you ask: Yes. I have put a large amount of thought into this.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Oliman43 said:
Hafrael said:
artanis_neravar said:

But wasn't the contract technically broken when the King killed all the other riders?
Nope, the contract wouldn't be broken unless all of the dragons, elves, or humans were killed.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
It's pretty mediocre so far, so I'm certainly not excited about it.

I'll probably pick it up once I've finished the other books I want to read (and there's a lot of them), if only because a completed series would look nicer on my bookshelf. Although it sort of pissed me off that the first and second books were such different sizes. They look pretty horrible sitting next to eachother.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Hafrael said:
Oliman43 said:
Hafrael said:
artanis_neravar said:

Nope, the contract wouldn't be broken unless all of the dragons, elves, or humans were killed.
Actually, I think you would need to kill all of the dragons, or all of the humans and elves. If all the elves die, it will continue with humans and vice versa.

The new rider will be Arya. Paolini has only associated her with the color green like, all the time. Green dragon, it just makes too much sense not to be true. The twist, is going to be who Arya's father is. Inheritance is the only common denominator in his plot twists, her dad isn't Evandar IMO.
A Tasty Burger said:
I don't read childrens fantasy books. I'm enjoying my Lovecraft, Howard, Tolkien, Salvatore and Martin fantasy books though.
Congrats! I hope your high horse doesn't trip. Why the hell did you come onto this page just to say that? I guarantee you that there is someone out there, probably many someones out there, much more adult and sophisticated than you, who love the inheritance books.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Ok.
Favorite character is probably Arya, favorite moment is definitely when Roran kills almost 200 soldiers. speculation is my area of specialty. The name Galbatorix is looking for is probably the name of the ancient language, or maybe the name of the continent of Alagaesia. I think the Dragon will hatch for Arya. This will help even the balance between her and Eragon, allowing them to get together. Arya's father will turn out not to be the last king Evandar. It will be revealed that she is Oromis' daugher, and she will inherit his sword(and all the power stored in it) as well as hatching the green dragon.

Thorn will die, changing Murtagh's true name, allowing him to escape Galbatorix's control. He might actually steal the green egg, hoping it will hatch for him, and that's how Arya will get it. Arya and Eragon will kill him together, and in the end they will sail off together, either bound for the Elven continent, or searching for other dragons, or maybe just going to Vroenguard.(pursuant to Angela's prophesy of him leaving Alagaesia forever) Nasuada will marry Oren. Roran will become King.

The rock of Kuthian is the thing that I'm least sure of. It could be the vault where the wild dragons stored their hearts before the Dragon Riders were formed. It could also be the center of Alagaesia, and Kuthian is actually the name of Alagaesia in the ancient language, or it could be the name of the Ancient language. The way the word tends to bounce around the heads of anyone with magical blood makes me think that it is a powerful word in the ancient language. Probably the name that Galbatorix is looking for. The other possibility I see is that the "speak your name thing" is because it is actually the hidden vault that holds the heart of the first Eragon's dragon, and it will unlock for a rider with the same name, which would be an extremely old and powerful heart.

Told you I was uncertain about the rock of Kuthian, we just haven't had enough information about it. I'm 90% sure about the Oromis/Arya thing, and probably 80% about the Murtagh/thorn/egg thing. Everything else about 50%.

I think, of the list of things you're speculating that the Arya/Oromis thing is the least likely. I have ideas about speaking your name yadda yadda yadda, and that is that he needs to speak HIS TRUE NAME to this rock and open the vault of souls (which I also think probably contains at least one heart of hearts.) I like the idea of the name Kuthian being the ancient language for Alagaesia, but apart from that...

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
I used to love these books, but this one's taking it's sweet ass time getting here, and during the wait I may have lost interest in it...

I'll probably pick it up, just to see how the characters I once worshiped and wished I join, as they adventured through their fantastic world, resolve their respective problems.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
You told me to state, so I will. I found these books to be worse than Twilight. I'm actually quite flabbergasted that anyone actually reads these books. At least Twilight was an easy read. Painful, but easy. This series was painful, long and boring. Everything that's in these books has been done better in another one.

I'm a literary snob, though. It takes a lot for me to enjoy a book.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I was reading this series and got to Brisingr, before I put it down and never read it again. I'm not sure why, it's good, maybe just too cliche or cheesy.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Anchupom said:
spartan231490 said:
Ok.

I think, of the list of things you're speculating that the Arya/Oromis thing is the least likely. I have ideas about speaking your name yadda yadda yadda, and that is that he needs to speak HIS TRUE NAME to this rock and open the vault of souls (which I also think probably contains at least one heart of hearts.) I like the idea of the name Kuthian being the ancient language for Alagaesia, but apart from that...
Time will tell.
Brom and morzan both have sons in the fight. Elves were more common and women equally common. it makes sense that oromis' daughter will be the next rider. that doesn't need to be Arya, but I think it is. It's the only way I can imagine Arya and Eragon ending up together, and I can't see any way that they don't end up together. also, remember in book one Eragon had one of those dreams that seemed more than a dream. It showed 3 people approach a boat. One man stayed behind, a man and a woman got on the boat. as the boat sailed away, he glimsped 2 dragons in the sky. Thorn dies, leaving murtagh alone, and Eragon and Arya leave him behind as they sail off into the distance. Arya just being a dragon rider doesn't make sense with the inheritance theme unless she ends up being the daughter of one of the riders. Also, Oromis' sword and most of his power were lost over Gilead, where the Elves almost def uncovered it, indicating that they will be given to the next rider.
That's my reasoning. If you still don't agree, I guess time will tell.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Eh, I'll read it but I'm not terribly excited. I've been waiting far too long for any residual excitement to have stuck around. I was pretty disappointed at the end of Brisingr, since up until then the story was being toted as a Trilogy.

I didn't notice the first time I read through, but Eragon is a pretty boring character. I've always found myself much more interested in what Roran and Nasuada were up to. Not to mention Eragon's "romance" with Arya, especially in Eldest, was just painful to read.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
JambalayaBob said:
No offense, but the Eragon series kinda . . . sucks. I read the first one, started the second, then I stopped because I had to question why I was even reading it. I was in middle school when I read the first one btw, and I'm sure the majority of his fans were in middle school when they last read the books. I was in high school by the time I tried the 2nd one, which I'm sure is why I stopped. Point is, nostalgia doesn't make things good. Plus I got really pissed off at the map of the world because of its ridiculous inconsistencies, but that doesn't really matter too much.

Also, "Eragon is the first book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, who began writing the book at the age of 15." This sentence pisses me right the fuck off. Nobody should start writing full fledged novels at the age of 15. I tried to write a novel when I was 16, and there was a reason I didn't finish it. I didn't get burned out or anything, I just looked at it after I was quite a few thousand words in, and I humbly said to myself, "Started out okay, but this is shit," and truly, it was.

Christopher Paolini's story should be a humbling, cautionary tale for any aspiring authors. Look before you leap, but before you even look, make sure you actually know what the fuck you're doing. I think this dude really doesn't know what he's doing, especially since he was appalled at the lack of "quality writing" in fantasy when his dialogue is about as rich and nuanced as a horny 14 year old's FF7 fanfic (albeit markedly less disturbing).

TLDR: Eragon isn't good because its author is way too ambitious, and the sheer fact that this series is the only thing he's really written proves it on so many levels.
That's your opinion. The best-seller's list and national success would seem to work against you. As for being too young. Mozart wrote one of the worlds most praised compositions at what: 7? obviously, 15 is not too young for artistic achievement. Leann Rimes was a remarkably successful musician at 15. I'm sure I could find more examples if I tried, but I feel no desire to. Achievement has nothing to do with age. Joan of Arc died when she was 15 years old.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Paolini is a novice when it comes to fantasy novels. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or that he should be any better than he is. he problem is that he doesn't have a lot of experience, and it's easy to tell when reading his work. That said, I do enjoy the Inheritance Cycle quite a bit, and I will be reading the last(two?) books when they come out. In addition, I could tell that the writing improved greatly from Eldest to Brisingr, and I enjoyed the latter significantly more, so if the pattern continues the finale should be up to par with high-fantasy standards.

In the mean time I'll be reading Forgotten Realms universe books, especially R.A Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt series.