Poll: Who's excited for the new Christopher Paolini book then? [Discussion may contain spoilers]

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
LordRoyal said:
spartan231490 said:
As for LoTR, I'll give you fantasy in general. I never disputed that. But if that's the definition of high fantasy, then why is high fantasy even a different genre than fantasy? Really?
High Fantasy is hardly a different genre as much as a subgenre. Like how "Whodunit" is a subgenre of mystery.
High fantasy is fantasy that happens in a separate "world"

Low fantasy happens in our world, so LotR is actually low fantasy

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
LordRoyal said:
spartan231490 said:
As for LoTR, I'll give you fantasy in general. I never disputed that. But if that's the definition of high fantasy, then why is high fantasy even a different genre than fantasy? Really?
High Fantasy is hardly a different genre as much as a subgenre. Like how "Whodunit" is a subgenre of mystery.
I was aware it was a subgenre. The high, in high fantasy was a good clue. My point remains valid. Why have the genre at all if it's definition is simply indicative of fantasy setting? By that definition, what sets high fantasy apart from other fantasy?

Lawlhat

Mar 17, 2009
I enjoyed the series so far (more or less, the second one was kinda ugh).

I'll probably pick it up since I read a lot.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
LordRoyal said:
spartan231490 said:

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Middle_Earth

I didn't know there were giant spiders and dwarves in our world.
spartan231490 said:
I was aware it was a subgenre. The high, in high fantasy was a good clue. My point remains valid. Why have the genre at all if it's definition is simply indicative of fantasy setting? By that definition, what sets high fantasy apart from other fantasy?
Subgenres don't tend to have very much use outside of literary circles. The term High Fantasy is only used to distinguish large upscale settings mixed with very long and drawn out backstories for said settings and the like. Lord of the Rings has a massively large fantasy world with a rich in depth backstory relating to it. I mean The Silmarillion is almost all backstory to the world.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
I thought the first 3 were some of the best books I have read and look forward to the 4th, but I have not done much reading recently. I personally don't like to speculate. it would be nice if a GOOD movie could be made out of the books as they have potential and would hit a wider audience

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
LordRoyal said:
artanis_neravar said:
LordRoyal said:
spartan231490 said:

Extinct, Tolkien himself said that LotR took place on Earth, just in the past

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
LordRoyal said:
artanis_neravar said:
LordRoyal said:
spartan231490 said:

Middle Earth seems more like it was based on Earth, just really fictionalized. Given how Tolkein named deities and even massive civilizations I think he was trying to make it seem like his fantasy world was just like Earth, but different altogether.

Also this:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060724044232/lotr/images/8/83/Arda.png

If anything Middle Earth is Earth only in name alone from the author. Otherwise it is completely different to the world we inhabit today.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
LordRoyal said:
artanis_neravar said:
LordRoyal said:
artanis_neravar said:
LordRoyal said:
spartan231490 said:

Middle Earth seems more like it was based on Earth, just really fictionalized. Given how Tolkein named deities and even massive civilizations I think he was trying to make it seem like his fantasy world was just like Earth, but different altogether.

Also this:
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060724044232/lotr/images/8/83/Arda.png

If anything Middle Earth is Earth only in name alone from the author. Otherwise it is completely different to the world we inhabit today.
This is where I got my info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy#cite_note-9

specifically this line "Gamble suggests that Lord of the Rings takes place in a setting where the primary world does not exist. This was something Tolkien often denied; rather, he suggested that Middle-earth was the primary world, but in the past."

This is what some of the footnotes say, from Tolkien's letters

^ Letters 210: "The Lord of the Rings may be a 'fairy-story', but it takes place in the Northern hemisphere of this earth: miles are miles, days are days, and weather is weather.", Letters pg 272
^ Letters 165: "'Middle-earth' by the way, is not a name of a never-never land without relation to the world we live in (like Mercury or Edison). It is just a use of Middle English middel-erde (or erthe) altered from Old English Middengeard: the name for the inhabited lands of Men 'between the seas'. And though I have not attempted to to relate the shape of the mountains and land-masses to what geologists may say or surmise about the nearer past, imaginatively this 'history' is supposed to take place in a period of the actual Old World of this planet.", Letters, pg 220

Pappeska

Oct 17, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
Pappeska said:
artanis_neravar said:
Pappeska said:
I liked the first book, but I've grown as a reader. The last book was more annoying than interesting. But I guess I want to know how it ends, if I buy the book or just skim through it somewhere.

Oh, and the fact he had to write a fourth book to wrap it up. It annoys me because in my books it says 'Trilogy' now if I buy the fourth, I may have to buy new copies of the others just to get it right.
That's not what happened at all, the third book, was going to be too long to fit all of the things he wanted to put in it, so he cut it in half and made 2 books, kind of like what they did with the last Harry Potter movie
That's bad writing/planning on the authors part.
And you know exactly how long each of your books are going to be before you write them? It can happen to anyone Orson Scott Card originally intended for Xenocide and Children of the Mind to be one book, and he quickly realized that it was going to be to long and he couldn't fit everything he wanted in just one book. It has nothing to do with planing its how the plot and characters grow while you are writing it
No, I don't know how long one of my stories are going to become when I write free-hand. But when I set a limit, then I stick to it. If I need thirty pages, I write thirty pages. Not fifty. That Paolini feels he has to explain so much for the story to end, that he could write a whole new book, then that is bad planning.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Pappeska said:
artanis_neravar said:
Pappeska said:
artanis_neravar said:
Pappeska said:
I liked the first book, but I've grown as a reader. The last book was more annoying than interesting. But I guess I want to know how it ends, if I buy the book or just skim through it somewhere.

Oh, and the fact he had to write a fourth book to wrap it up. It annoys me because in my books it says 'Trilogy' now if I buy the fourth, I may have to buy new copies of the others just to get it right.
That's not what happened at all, the third book, was going to be too long to fit all of the things he wanted to put in it, so he cut it in half and made 2 books, kind of like what they did with the last Harry Potter movie
That's bad writing/planning on the authors part.
And you know exactly how long each of your books are going to be before you write them? It can happen to anyone Orson Scott Card originally intended for Xenocide and Children of the Mind to be one book, and he quickly realized that it was going to be to long and he couldn't fit everything he wanted in just one book. It has nothing to do with planing its how the plot and characters grow while you are writing it
No, I don't know how long one of my stories are going to become when I write free-hand. But when I set a limit, then I stick to it. If I need thirty pages, I write thirty pages. Not fifty. That Paolini feels he has to explain so much for the story to end, that he could write a whole new book, then that is bad planning.
Then you are the bad writer, a writer should never be limited by their original concepts, as you write characters they grow and change, and sometimes you realize that they would go further then you intended for them to go in a particular scene and you need more space to write.

Pappeska

Oct 17, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
There's a difference between 'more space' and a new book, it is not just a particular scene, but many. If he had so many new ideas, and things he had to flesh out, then there are always short stories.