Poll: Why aren't there any CGI films for a mature audeince

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
So what exactly do I mean by mature, stuff like the Resident Evil and Advent Children CGI movies. Why is it that it's dominated by kids and their are no CGI movies for a mature audience. I know some might say things like the Green Lantern is one, but that was bad. Avatar was a good step, but it was labeled mostly as Special effects, not an animated movie. I mean it's not as if we don't have material for animated films, we could even go the route Japan did and make films off of our own video game IP's I know we all want a Halo movie, alot of it would have to be CGI, so why not just cut out the middle man? It's just confusing for me is all, I mean, if we put something like No More Heroes on a generally kid friendly console like the Wii, why not CGI films? I'm sure we all have our own idea for a grown up CGI film, maybe even something like Lair or Oblivion, hell maybe even LA Noire. Am I the only one who thinks this is strange?

Say for example Halo: So many of those creatures could be done with modern face make up but the actors might need something like internal exoskeletons (machine frame inside the suit) in order to move and straight up CGI for some of the bigger movements. Seems easier and cheaper just to make a CGI Halo movie over live action, we could still use the same voice actors and maybe the director, and it seems like it would be easier on everyone.(Though I would love to see Samuel Jackson play Sgt. Johnson).

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Because Mature and Movies frequently equals sex of some kind.

Movies and CGI equal unlimited imagination.

Mature and CGI often equals sexual deviancy that requires government involvement to clean up, preferably with fire.

Honest Answer: Even today, live action yields far better results then CGI, often times at lower cost (See Avatar's colossal budget).

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I've got Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children sitting on my shelf, and the Robert Zemeckis Beowulf was fully CG, but definitely not for kids. The stuff is out there, if you're willing to look.

As for why it's not particularly common, it's probably a combination of the Animation Age Ghetto, and the fact that family films tend to gross a lot more than R-rated movies. Hollywood has been trying to keep the age ratings low and maximize audiences for a very long time.

Edit: I also have The Animatrix sitting on my shelf. At least one of the shorts on there is PG-13 rated CGI.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
I think the reason there isn't as much "mature" CGI (at least, not as much worth caring about. I'm looking at you, Asylum Pictures) is because of the whole "cartoons are for kids" stigma, and because a lot of the CGI movies out there are cartoony, they fall under that stigma. Plus, adults tend to notice bad, cheesy, or unrealistic CGI more than kids.

Also, I have to agree that live action does tend to yield better results. The Predators in the recent "Predators" movie were apparently guys in suits, and they looked awesome.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Why do you think most modern action movies strive to keep that PG13 rating? And most CGI movies are PG.

I wouldn't say movies like Up are "for kids"--most young children I know can't emotionally grasp the thought of growing old alone. I watched How To Tame Your Dragon with a friend's kids: ages 12, 10, and 7, and they had hysterics over the dramatic tension in that movie.

These movies are not "for kids". They're just not senselessly brutal and ugly, which I very much enjoy.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I've got Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children sitting on my shelf, and the Robert Zemeckis Beowulf was fully CG, but definitely not for kids. The stuff is out there, if you're willing to look.

As for why it's not particularly common, it's probably a combination of the Animation Age Ghetto, and the fact that family films tend to gross a lot more than R-rated movies. Hollywood has been trying to keep the age ratings low and maximize audiences for a very long time.

Edit: I also have The Animatrix sitting on my shelf. At least one of the shorts on there is PG-13 rated CGI.
I shouldn't have to look is my point. If the film industry is so big and if they do decide to take more chances, I think that animated films for older people would have come up. Tarantino does things over the top and quirky, I half-expect him to at some point produce or write for an older CGI film. Spielberg too, yet the only CGI film companies capable of doing this thing are Pixar and all they do is kid's films (not that I hate Pixar)

KedynCrow

Sep 23, 2009
Hectix777 said:
I shouldn't have to look is my point. *snip for brevity*
See here's my fundamental problem. People want what's good offered to them on a silver platter rather than being actively engaged in entertainment. Frankly, if you aren't willing to seek out good entertainment, I'm not sure I can muster my sympathy for you.

It's already been pointed out, good CGI with mature themes exist. They've been made, and while they aren't glutting the market like cheesy comic-book interpretations or even (heaven forbid) good comic book interpretations, they can be found peeking through the gaps.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
There is always anime. That is enough for me. I have no real need for mature CGI. If you do really want CGI, go watch some cut scenes from a game. But of course that is no real solution.

Incidentally, you can look at the situation from another standpoint. Why is there any CGI to begin with? That is because about 90% of the movies are about animals with human traits. Many years ago there was a hole in the market and Pixar filled that hole (with Toy Story). With the popularity of Pixar everyone (including Pixar themselves) wanted a piece of the action. And a "new" kind of movie genre was bred. Such a movement never happened for the mature audience, simply because there is no "hole" to be filled there, unlike with Pixar.

ZS3D

May 9, 2011
Calling a movie mature does in no way mean in has to have a dark atmosphere, or be full of blood and gore. A mature movie is one leaves you with something after the movie is over. Pixar is a prime example of this. Sure there movies are loved by many children but they also appeal to a more mature audience. That's part of there success is they pick story before a target audience. I think you may have a very flawed definition of mature and may need to broaden your horizons.

ScarBrow07

Sep 26, 2008
Pixar films are not just for kids. Most people who went to toy story 3 were 20 and grew up with the characters.