Poll: Why do lots of people hate Heavy Metal?

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
I dunno that movie was awesome. All the giant cartoon boobs you can want, and John Candy! (No John Candy boobs tho).

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
Are you seriously surprised that people don't like metal?

Genre's very rarely fare well when you evaluate them in terms of other genres. When you are looking through things through the lens of popular music, things like a catchy beat, good singing (in the traditional sense of the word), sing along choruses etc. are all seen as positive things. Things like supreme technical skill aren't seen as particularly important and things like dischordance are seen as a bad thing. Metal often lacks in these first things and puts more emphasis on the latter ones. Therefore when you are evaluating metal in terms of pop music, it generally rates as very bad.
Conversely, when a metal fan describes a song as "brutal" or "crushing", he means that its a good thing. Yet words like "up beat", "catchy", "bouncy" or "dreamy" are unlikely to mean anything to him, may even be considered negatives. In other words, this works in both directions.
I think in an ideal world, people would appreciate all genres of music based on their relative merits. There's no reason why you can't appreciate both the light hearted and lyrical whimsy of a Belle and Sebastian song and, when the mood strikes you, be able to put on the latest Sunn O))) album and bathe in its brutal, crushing volume.

I for one really dislike people that listen only or mostly to heavy metal. Nothing wrong with heavy metal per say, but I'm singling it out because people seem to be exclusive metal listeners more than any other genre. They also seem to be particularly intolerant of other genres (the number of ignorant rap bashing rants I've seen on this forum is ridiculous). Metal is good for pumping yourself up or blowing off steam What do you listen to when you just want to chill out? or on a sunny afternoon? or just want to have a dance? or are feeling melancholy? By listening exclusively to metal, you are missing out on a massive RANGE of good music.

TLDNR:Most of the hatred between genres is based on people looking for different things from their music. Ultimately people should strive to have an appreciation for all genres.

Also, don't rag too hard on this guy because he obviously has negative mental associations with the genre. I hate to speculate, but I'm sure if his brother was driven to the brink of suicide by indie or rap or pop then he would likely think less of those genres too. Its perfectly acceptable not to like something because of purely personal reasons. Thats called subjectivity.

Amorphisbob

Jun 10, 2009
GiantRaven said:
Amorphisbob said:
Metel is eval becus it tells chilren to kill people and comit suicides and anybudy ho likes it shud be disemboweled in front of there one chilren and eatin by them

also vidio gamez are eval two for thu same reasuns
don furget dungens and draguns lol
Rite! and dungens in draguns to

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Bludge said:
People hate metal because metallers are egotistical, elitist, arrogant morons who are probably more closed minded then the people they spend all their time whining about.
This post is pretty ironic since it makes you sound like a close minded arrogant morron.

There is good metal and bad metal. People who claim to hate it have just not heard (or bothered to listen) to good metal, just like any other genre.

Jackhorse

Jul 4, 2010
Fairly off topic but did you know metal listeners are the social group (as defined by musical tastes) most likely to be social and freindly, those least likely were alternative listeners. I'm a mostly metal with a fair slop of alternative so either everyone loves me and I push them away or I love everyone and they push me away... Either way I end up alone but at least I have Drowning Pool ^_^

OT: Just like I can't really differenciate a lot of pop and rap non metalheads just hear the same chuggy noise from what they tell me. I don't really know many people who hate metal... my best mate dissaproves but he likes jazz so he doesn't get a say we tolerate each other so its fine

Bludge

Jul 19, 2009
Papadam said:
Bludge said:
People hate metal because metallers are egotistical, elitist, arrogant morons who are probably more closed minded then the people they spend all their time whining about.
This post is pretty ironic since it makes you sound like a close minded arrogant morron.

There is good metal and bad metal. People who claim to hate it have just not heard (or bothered to listen) to good metal, just like any other genre.
I never said i wasn't a closed minded arrogant moron did i?

And why should they listen to "good metal" when any metaller will try and push them out or tell them that their taste sucks or that they wouldn't understand the music?

I cant count the amount of times i have heard "oh your into metal huh?" "yeah, i really love X band, they are my favourite" "oh lol, you like X band? thats so lame. why dont you go over there and talk to the 12 year olds and leave the real metallers alone"
And metallers wonder why people dont like them?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Bludge said:
They also take themselves and their music way too seriously.
That and the fact that metal gigs/venues are so clique-y its unbelieveable. I felt like an outsider all my life within the metal crowd, it was only when i started getting into drum n bass that i found myself actually having a good time and meeting good people at gigs.

That and the fact that its not an easily accessable genre of music to get into, and the metallers dont help that fact by being so ignorant and intolerant of people with tastes that differ from their own.

Rant over.

Seriously, I have heard drum and bass blasted from midnight - 3 or 4 in the morning, I have heard it blasted on buses, heard it from cars racing round from midnight - 3 or 4 in the morning and you can hear from one end of the street to the other.

No music is "hard" or "inaccessable" to get into, go to youtube, type in a band name you have heard of in whatever field you want to get into and follow the links to find other bands in the same field.

There are people in metal who get very angry when you incorrectly pigeon hole a band, those same people are also in every other group, or get angry about some other bull shit.

I have met far more ignorant and arrogant people outside of metal, all coming up with the exact same point "it is all just loud noise and I can't understand the singer" then go onto the typical "all metal fans are dirty satanists who want to suck the devils cock and they should all die in a fire" or "there all dirty emo's who cut themselvs with dity, rusty razer blades".

It's like me saying "all drum and bass is, is some heavy bass line and melody over the top. Only simple minded people listen to it while there racing corsa's pissed on stella", when in fact I like pendulum, blood sugar and slam (tarantula isn't bad either).

znix

Apr 9, 2009
To OP, people hate it because they're either ignorant or simply don't like the sound.

I love metal, but I can't stand most blues and country. I don't actively hate on it though. It's easier to ignore it.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Haters gonna hate and people love to fight. If you listen to mainsteam everyone gets mad cause ya like mainstream and only mainstream. If ya like Indie people are gonna hate on you for liking bands no one has heard before and think you are pretentious. If you like certain genres of rock people are gonna hate on you and call you emo. See were I am going with this?

Personally, I just listen to what I want to and don't care what anyone thinks. My mix CD in my car right now goes from Sugar Ray to Rage Against the Machine to Buddy Holly to Kanye West and I jam out equally loud to all of them.

Bludge

Jul 19, 2009
omega 616 said:
Seriously, I have heard drum and bass blasted from midnight - 3 or 4 in the morning, I have heard it blasted on buses, heard it from cars racing round from midnight - 3 or 4 in the morning and you can hear from one end of the street to the other.
Whats that got to do with anything i said? just out of interest.

omega 616 said:
No music is "hard" or "inaccessable" to get into, go to youtube, type in a band name you have heard of in whatever field you want to get into and follow the links to find other bands in the same field.
And what about when your metaller frends tell you that band you have been listening to suck and you should listen to another band that dont do anything for you, and if you dont and carry on listening to the stuff you like you get ostracised by half the people you know?

That and the fact that it just plain is a difficult genre to get into depending on what you are listening to. if someone comes from listening to main stream pop and then someone plays them some anaal nathrakh, are you honestly telling me its not gonna all sound the same to them until their ears start to pick out the things they have never had to listen out for before?

omega 616 said:
There are people in metal who get very angry when you incorrectly pigeon hole a band, those same people are also in every other group, or get angry about some other bull shit.
Oh i totally agree, you find those people everywhere, but in my personal experience it is the most concentrated and the most aggressive within the metal scene.

omega 616 said:
I have met far more ignorant and arrogant people outside of metal, all coming up with the exact same point "it is all just loud noise and I can't understand the singer" then go onto the typical "all metal fans are dirty satanists who want to suck the devils cock and they should all die in a fire" or "there all dirty emo's who cut themselvs with dity, rusty razer blades".
And im just saying that the most outspoken and agressive people with opinions that shallow have been within the metal crowd.

omega 616 said:
It's like me saying "all drum and bass is, is some heavy bass line and melody over the top. Only simple minded people listen to it while there racing corsa's pissed on stella", when in fact I like pendulum, blood sugar and slam (tarantula isn't bad either).
That made me laugh because i actually drive a corsa. haha. dont drink stella though.

Cormyre

Jun 11, 2010
TonyCapa said:
Redlin5 said:
TonyCapa said:
It's exactly what I'm saying. I love metal so why do people have to say I'm abnormal for listening to it. I may not be conformist or a perfect person but that shouldn't be based on music preferences.
Quote when replying :)

Its just a common courtesy here my friend.

And I have no idea why I'm supposed to judge you by your choice of music. Does the fact I listen to jazz, techno, latin and classical music make me abnormal?

Humanity, always looking for stereotypes. I try to break them but I'm just one man.
Sorry about that. I think one of the worst stereotypes is that we worship satan. Some metalheads do but I'm pretty sure one rapper or two does it too. I try to break them to. I'm italian and I've have people tell me "Your italian, you people don't like metal". One of the wierdest statements I've ever heard.
There's some great bands out of Italy \m/_

Eclectic Dreck said:
Lunar Shadow said:
Eclectic Dreck said:
I don't like it because I generally don't like the sounds of guttural screaming inherent to the genre. For some reason, I seem to have the insane notion that I ought to be able to understand lyrics without consulting the album liner.
Understandability really depends on the skill of the singer. People such as Johann Hegg (Amon Amarth) is very understandable and uses alot of the same techniques used in Opera. A good death growl that won't blow out your vocal cords takes alot of skill, doubly so to sing well while doing it like Hegg does.
This still does not resolve the "I don't care for how screaming sounds" part. I've nothing but respect for the musical abilities of many metal bands. They show some of the greatest skill with their respective instruments that one is ever likely to see. But the problem is that, when one's accompaniment is as high intensity as it is, the singer isn't left with many options as to how they will present their part. The screaming thing seems to be the natural result of the accompaniment. And, no matter how awesome said accompaniment is, I just really don't care for the sound of someone screaming.
There's a ton of bands with opera quality female leads (old Nightwish, Epica [though in fairness there's alot of Epica that has a the growly side to), opera quality male leads (Kamelot), great female clean vocalists (one as mentioned above from Italy.. Lacuna Coil) and great male clean vocalists (Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian). Those bands are some of my favs as I don't exactly like the pointless screaming, but then again I am a die-hard Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir fan... so... lol

goddz001

Aug 5, 2009
im not really "racist" about music. i listen to all types of music. i only judge music on their genre, and i listen to the peoples abilities. like i find that in R&B they have incredible singers. while i folk music has insane finger picking skills. and screamos are just great to mosh to. so i never understand how people can say someones a bad musician. any kind of musician whos gotten signed has some kind of skill that peopleenjoy, and they should be celebrated for their talents, not hated.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
goddz001 said:
im not really "racist" about music. i listen to all types of music. i only judge music on their genre, and i listen to the peoples abilities. like i find that in R&B they have incredible singers. while i folk music has insane finger picking skills. and screamos are just great to mosh to. so i never understand how people can say someones a bad musician. any kind of musician whos gotten signed has some kind of skill that peopleenjoy, and they should be celebrated for their talents, not hated.
I don't know man. I want to agree with you but...Meg White happens to exist...

And that doesn't even delve into the realm of the lip-syncing and ghost writing that goes on in some areas of music.

Osalot_TH

Sep 10, 2008
"I like pendulum, blood sugar and slam (tarantula isn't bad either)."

Tarantula is by Pendulum...just fyi.

And my two cents to this would be that people hate Metal for a lot of reasons, most of them ignorant...and religious.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
[quote="Cormyre" post="18.255035.9536387There's some great bands out of Italy \m/_[/quote]

I'm not FROM Italy, I'm an Italian-Canadian. I only listen to 1 band from Italy and not very often.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
Because most people tend to generalize metal as the following:

- Idiotic, loud music with no sense of song writing, depth, or composition.
- For an audience that can't get into anything intelligent.
- For people who are stuck in the 1980's.
- Something that's good but they can't get into the music because of the vocals.
- The ultimate point I cannot stand: I can't understand what they are saying because of the way they vocalize their sound.

1. Listen to Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Bathory, Emperor, Blind Guardian, and Therion.
2. Understand the the above bands I just listed are in the exact same genre, but have completely different playing styles that range from blues, folk, classical music, classic rock, trance, etc...and that they incorporate many different elements of music into their playing style.
3. Heavy metal shouldn't be viewed from the popular MTV sellpoint. It's a genre that's truly set apart from the mainstream rock categories. I'm looking at you Radiohead!
4 and 5. Read the lyrics, give it a chance, try to understand it. Don't see it as "screaming" or the inability to sing. Give it a chance and it will be considered the exact same to you as singing.

On an unrelated note, getting into metal helps if you like the following topics and categories:

- Mythology.
- Ancient Culture.
- Fantasy literature.
- Horror, death, and carnage...and the mentality to try to comprehend why these things go on within the world.
- Originality in the guitar and how it makes music.
- Anti-religious or an anti-establishment standpoint. I'm a Christian and can understand these points of view however, given the negative aspects combined within it in the past. I tend to keep an open mind about things though.
- On a related note to the above post, check out the band Orphaned Land. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all together in one band with a Middle Eastern style of music. This is what heavy metal truly is: Being openminded towards everything.
- A blend of eclectic musical styles.
- The true evolution of music which started with Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, and so on.

That's truly the best explanation I can offer.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
the27thvoice said:
Short answer, the vocalist. Some bands have avoided it, and praise them for it, but the staple of heavy metal seems to be awesome music well played and drowned in some guy screaming into the microphone. Kick that guy out of the band and you've improved the music, problem solved.
Try singing over this.

OT: I'd ignore them. Don't try to argue with people like that, it'll give you a headache.

I am one of the biggest metalheads here (if not the biggest); I am willing to listen to just about anything if it's written well; dubstep, noise and yes, even hip-hop if it's written well. Metal just so happens to be the form of music I'm interested in at the moment.

Which reminds me, I need to go looking for some good non-metal. XD

Aaaanyway, I bring Lord. You guys'll love this. I know I do. :)

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
Cormyre said:
TonyCapa said:
Redlin5 said:
TonyCapa said:
It's exactly what I'm saying. I love metal so why do people have to say I'm abnormal for listening to it. I may not be conformist or a perfect person but that shouldn't be based on music preferences.
Quote when replying :)

Its just a common courtesy here my friend.

And I have no idea why I'm supposed to judge you by your choice of music. Does the fact I listen to jazz, techno, latin and classical music make me abnormal?

Humanity, always looking for stereotypes. I try to break them but I'm just one man.
Sorry about that. I think one of the worst stereotypes is that we worship satan. Some metalheads do but I'm pretty sure one rapper or two does it too. I try to break them to. I'm italian and I've have people tell me "Your italian, you people don't like metal". One of the wierdest statements I've ever heard.
There's some great bands out of Italy \m/_
Didn't want to quote him this much to say I'm Canadian or Italian descent but it's still enough for people to say "Your italian, you people don't like metal".