Poll: Why do they think I'm a bot?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, eventually I have to wonder why the board doesn't develop sort of an upper-minimum for the captchas to look at post-counts and go "Okay, he's clean" and just leave me alone. It's been said before, but not lately, so I'll say it again. After this many posts, you can figure that I have a pulse, not a program. A security program it is, but I am already secure.

So, what are your thoughts on being suspected of bot-hood? Anything funny to say? Opinions ARE open, but Pub Club people can keep their nudging and plugging to themselves. Not interested.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah, it's a little bit disappointing that the best idea the Escapist has for "cutting down on spam" is inserting Recaptchas for everyone that doesn't pay them annually. There are certainly better systems around and an easy one would indeed be a post count check.

Dec 14, 2009
The only way to stop the robot uprising, is to stop bots from gaining sentience.

Captchas are saving us all everyday by preventing the bots from studying us, and all you guys do is moan about how inconvenient it is.

You make me sick.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I don't even see the point of why captcha's need to be so compicated.

Why do the letters have to be curved? Why can't it just be simple words?

Why not ask simple math problems, or somthing like "type a word that begins with E and ends in O"?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I think that, after a point, it's just extra motivation for people to join the pub club, which I'm a little conflicted about. On the one hand, that's kind of a sick business practice, but on the other, it does no real harm and the Escapist really needs the money.

I just wish that the captcha would be improved so that I can actually read what the fuck it says more than 50% of the time.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
The only time it bothers me is when it has kanji or some other special characters or it is upside down. How the f am I suppose to type that captcha? huh? And it is amusing to see some of the things it has me type. And if you think I'm a bot with this post count then go ahead, come at me bro.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Certain malware can access email accounts and send stuff in your name, so I imagine it's not that large a leap to go from there to making spamming forums using someone's account. That's the only reason I can see to keep Captchas for long-time members, anyway.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
aprilmarie said:
The only time it bothers me is when it has kanji or some other special characters or it is upside down. How the f am I suppose to type that captcha? huh? And it is amusing to see some of the things it has me type. And if you think I'm a bot with this post count then go ahead, come at me bro.
Your avatar, it's seducing me with it's eyes.

Random comment out of the way now on to the topic.

It's keeping a close eye on you just incase you start a thread asking if your girlfriend would like a new toy but typed out in very bad Engrish (yes I meant Engrish before some spelling soldier attempts to correct me, google it).

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
aprilmarie said:
Your avatar, it's seducing me with it's eyes.

Random comment out of the way now on to the topic.

It's keeping a close eye on you just incase you start a thread asking if your girlfriend would like a new toy but typed out in very bad Engrish (yes I meant Engrish before some spelling soldier attempts to correct me, google it).

thank you? Are you saying my eyes are seductive? cause that is an actual photo of myself from about 2 weeks ish ago....

So my girlfriend needs a new toy......(sorry couldn't resist that one and too lazy to actually do a topic)

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I suppose you're account could be hacked by a bot, or something like that. So I guess they need constant checks.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
aprilmarie said:
thank you? Are you saying my eyes are seductive? cause that is an actual photo of myself from about 2 weeks ish ago....

So my girlfriend needs a new toy......(sorry couldn't resist that one and too lazy to actually do a topic)
You certainly do have that look.

I believe I once heard them called "come to bed with me eyes".

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
the problem with a post count check is that someone with thousands of posts got bot-hacked. but the captchas just do not work.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
aprilmarie said:

You certainly do have that look.

I believe I once heard them called "come to bed with me eyes".

umm...thanks...I was squinting due to the sun being in my eyes but it was the better angle for the colours in my hair......

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
aprilmarie said:
It's the worst when it's in fucking Cyrillic. I mean, are you serious?