Poll: Why do you play halo?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I read one of the books but really couldn't get into the whole overarching plot. I play the games for the campaign. At this point I just play Reach for the vehicle segments and the lack of the Flood, who I hate absolutely HATE to fight. Fighting against inner-galactic space monkies is great. Fighting against a collective of sapient worms that are poured into suits of armor ranging from 'huge' to 'extremely freaking huge' is really awesome. Killing the whole Alien armada in neon pink armor is just priceless.

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
The best thing about Halo are the vehicles. No stupid vehicle sections like 99% of other action games would incorporate, vehicles are instead integrated in such a way that there doesn't need to be vehicle "sections" but instead I can get on and off the things as I choose. Nick a ghost or get in a jeep with some squad members. If there's a banshee around I can either use it or not use it. It allows vehicles to be enjoyed without constricting you on when and how to enjoy using them. This is how you integrate vehicles into a game well.

Edit: Oh, I can't forget, the orchestral music is AMAZING.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
It's at times like this I wish you could give multiple answers to Polls, as 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and some others you didn't mention are all equally relevant.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
I find the story behind it to be pretty good actually. Certainly not something mind blowing, but it fits the style well enough.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I play the games mostly for the campaign and co-op modes. My friends and I have had countless hours of fun playing through the campaigns as well as firefight mode.

I also enjoy the larger universe it's set in, particularly the history of the Human-Covenant War.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
Because it's a really fun FPS that doesn't attempt to be realistic. If I wanted a "realistic" FPS i'd play CounterStrike.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Because sometimes, I just like to run around and kill shit.

...what, that's not the reason there are shooters?

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
I play halo still because it's simply still fun. The fact that me and a friend who hadn't played it in months could still play a few rounds and still have a blast is a testament to the game's longevity. It's not something I can play non stop, but occasionally it just really hits the spot.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
It's consistently solid, and despite the convoluted story elements and weak voice acting, the gameplay has never fallen short.

In terms of consistent gameplay, Halo might as well be Mario, in that respect. Though, the reasons for that are so alike, you'd think they copied notes.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
A big part of it for me is the death physics. Watching someone fly through the air and off a cliff after you've hit them directly with a rocket launcher does not get old. A big part of it is trolling, but not in me trolling. Doing so well the other side starts screaming hax though... That is fun. Oh, that and assassinating 4 people in a row with the sword.

Sep 14, 2009
well considering its one of the very very very very few multiplayers that i find fun and somewhat balanced, i absolutely love the books for the series and i love the co op aspects they add to the games, SOMETHING VERY FEW DEVELOPERS DO THESE DAYS, fuckers...and no, mw2 did not have co-op, that is some tacked on missions

edit: Oh and i love the way they combine health+shields, so each encounter doesn't depend on if you were raped 2 seconds ago, and you don't die in one bullet unless someone has one of the upper tier weapons in which you probably had a chance to counter it

II2none

Jan 5, 2011
Rex Dark said:
I don't play it.
Mainly because you have to pay for an Xbox Live Gold account.
[sup]Note: This reason is very simmilar as the reason why I don't play WoW.[/sup]
If that weren't the case, I might play it.
Well yeah for the online multiplayer

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
believer258 said:
Rex Dark said:
I don't play it.
Mainly because you have to pay for an Xbox Live Gold account.
[sup]Note: This reason is very simmilar as the reason why I don't play WoW.[/sup]
If that weren't the case, I might play it.
Yes, because every fucking shooter must have an amazing online or it isn't worth it at all. Not to be a smart alek, but look at the responses thus far - story, gameplay, and campaign are part of the focus. The original three games are complete classics if played in proper order (which, I'll admit, is both a blessing and a curse in my opinion). The games are all worth it, at least try the original one at some point in time, and not for its multiplayer.

OP: Like a lot of people have said, its campaign and story are just cool. Not groundbreaking or powerful or amazing, but the campaigns and stories of the first three games are just an all around riot of fun. Throwing in a second player doubles it and completely changes the game, allowing you to perform completely different tactics in different situations.

Multiplayer is fun as well, but I'm not too sure I liked Reaches' multiplayer. I played a ton of Lone Wolf type games in the first games, but Reach seems to be obsessed with making Halo a team game. Which is fun, in its own right, but I liked Halo's multi because I didn't have to share my badassery with a team. That's fine in CoD and Battlefield and TF2, but Halo 3 made me feel like the baddest kid on the block and Reach doesn't seem to want to let me do that. And even when I do try to work as a team, most people seem to be so fucking incompetent that it all falls down to a matter of lucky shots and grenade throws rather than well coordinated attacks and skill.

However, I still prefer Halo's multi when friends are around.
I forgot it had singleplayer...
Maybe I should get it after all...

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The only reason I play it now is to troll, really. But before, I was pretty into the online multiplayer.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I have so much fun playing with eight other friends with ridiculous custom games. The community, I guess, is why I play it.