Poll: Why preorder? Why NOT preorder? (Day One DLC incentives)

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Still believing the Signature Edition is the original and actual full game. The rest are still crippled. Don't care about the arguments, I am just waiting if the game will be awesome as they try to make us believe.

Also, not voting for this poll. Too spread out and not appealing to ping the community properly, just my own opinion.
I find most polls to restrictive on here, a lot of them are just Binary. People can have opinions that fall between the poles.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
JediMB said:
Signature Edition, I think, is a brilliant idea. It's a great improvement on the standard Limited Edition model that video games have used for years at this point. Normally the really die-hard fans pay anything from $10 to $40 extra for their special packaging and extras, and in many cases a number of those special editions end up just collecting dust in the stores until their prices are lowered a number of months later.

With BioWare's model here, though, the special content and packaging comes absolutely free, there will (in theory) be no leftover boxes collecting dust in the stores, and all you had to do to guarantee yourself the whole package was to pre-order the game at some point in a 3 month window.

Then there's the regular pre-order DLC. Not as spectacular as the package you get with the Signature Edition, but they seem to be fancy (yet non-essential) bonuses. A leveling sword and a shield with an XP bonus.

And, finally, there's the "buy the game new" DLC. Besides the extra character that comes with Signature Edition, this is probably the most valuable of the extras: The Black Emporium. Basically a shop where your character can purchase the game's most powerful equipment pieces. Doesn't matter if you pre-order the game, buy it once the reviews are out, or wait a couple of months before picking it up, as long as your money actually goes to the people who created the game for you.

It may seem a bit much, but I think it makes sense. Fans who pre-order far ahead of time are rewarded, people are still given incentive to pre-order closer to the release, and people who buy the games used are penalized for not supporting the developers and the industry.

EDIT:

Funny thing for me, though? I haven't paid a dime for my pre-order yet. I could cancel it a couple of days before the release, if I wanted to. Heck, if I'd made the order and said that I wanted to pick the game up in their store rather than have it sent by mail, I could have just decided not to buy the game and still get the pre-order DLC codes sent to my e-mail account. I'm not one to abuse awesome retailers, though, so of course I'm going through with the purchase.
Do we get the codes by email? I assumed there would be a slip in the box like with the Stone Prisoner and the Cerberus network.

Also finally another person who understand that the people at BioWare want to be paid for working. So many people seem to be spitting blood because the Devs are trying to get people to give them money rather than just Gamestop.

Faky

Oct 15, 2009
When/if i buy a game i want it to be complete. This leaves me to wait some time for so Ubber Ultimate All In One edition for cheap price.

Alternative would be pay 50? for original and then a few 10? for DLCs....ammm no thank you. I have enough complete games to play so i won't miss this for a long time. And my wallet agrees with me.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
StBishop said:
manythings said:
suubersnake said:
I think the biggest problem is just the method by which they do this. I'm not against day one DLC, but I can't shake the feeling that they are just cutting out parts intended to be in the game and then making you download it separately when I'd rather be playing it instead of waiting for the proper files to be downloaded and installed.

I'd rather see them offer some other incentive than just in game items, weapons, NPCs and other maguffins. Perhaps an inside look into the Dev process while keeping you posted would be a nice incentive or give you gameplay demos as a thank you for adopting it early.

I pre-ordered the signature edition too, I just wish I got a little more now, rather than having to wait for another couple months.
There was the DA2 podcast series and, as far as I know, it is still going. Dragon Age legends (though I fucking Hate facebook) and the DA2 site. BioWare does more than most Devs with regard to updates. I'm also going to buy Cassandra's Diary aswell because it looks boss.
Cassandra's Diary? Where do I find info on this?
Well it depends on where you live. It's the Official guide, but the special edition is styled like the Templar's Diary.

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-II-Complete-Official/dp/0307890112/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294932349&sr=1-1

Special edition: http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-II-Collectors-Complete/dp/0307890139/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294932349&sr=1-2

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
I don't really pre-order for bonuses or incentives or whatnot. In fact, I admit that pre-ordering is largely pointless for me.

But I do it anyway, because Gamestop is walking distance from where I work, and it's nice to be able to go during my lunch break and pick it up. Of course Gamestop has this weird tendency to only get in enough copies of a game to cover pre-orders sometimes, so I pre-order mainly just to make sure I get the game when I want it. It's all about convenience, and walking to Gamestop on my lunch break is the most convenient method of picking up a new release for me.

Sure, it'd be easy to just stop at Best Buy on my way home and grab it there, but it's easier to just not have to stop at all.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I understand developers are trying to get people to the point of one copy per person, as opposed to one copy, multiple people. They see a well of money, and they want their share. I get this. They are business men, and a thus trying to figure out how to make money on the used game market.

But I think the Dragon Age Signature Edition thing is going about it the wrong way. Now they are pushing back the project $10 bits to only those who pre-order. So if I buy a brand new game, I still don't have the option of getting the same thing others who paid $60 for a game got. For a lot of people, pre-orders don't really work. They want to see the reviews. They might need to save up the cash. There are a number of legitimate reasons why someone might not be able to pre-order.

Now, I don't think I'd have a problem with DA2 if when you bought the game new, you still got your "$10" worth of DLC. If the Signature edition DLC was special DLC only given to people who got the Signature edition. But the problem with how it's being done, everyone who pre-orders is getting the upgrade free, so really there is no upgrade. It's a pre-order bonus that was at one time a part of the new game package, like the Prisoner in Stone DLC for DA:O.

What it seems like to me, is they didn't want to make a special edition of DA2. So instead, they just did this. It seems lazy on the part of Bioware. The whole thing just reeks of bad decision making. There are better ways to reward pre-orders without pissing off people who buy the game new on release day or thereafter.

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
Flames66 said:
I personally won't pay more than £10 for a game. That is why I usually buy used or 3 years after release.

Don't mean to flame, I just thought of this when I read that. My roomate is the same way, I like to tease him about it, haha.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
manythings said:
Flames66 said:
I personally won't pay more than £10 for a game. That is why I usually buy used or 3 years after release.
My point is though do you care that you aren't getting that stuff? Since most people want to not preorder the game but also get all the preorder incentives as standard.
I'm not sure. Personally I haven't come across this problem in the games I have bought. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread though, by the time I buy a game, a GOTY edition or something similar has been released with all the stuff in it anyway.

gmaverick019 said:
Flames66 said:
holy shit. game wise, what is the newest game you would say you've owned?
The last game I pre-ordered was Saints Row 2. After it turned out to be a very poorly done console port I decided not to do let high end game hype get to me. The newest game I currently own is Poker Night at the Inventory I think.

Krychek08 said:
Flames66 said:

Don't mean to flame, I just thought of this when I read that. My roomate is the same way, I like to tease him about it, haha.
That is pretty much me.

EmperorBones

Jan 13, 2011
I'd say it depends on what said DLC is. I have Mortal Kombat Kollector's Edition on preorder. I wanted the Scorpion classic stuff.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
rockyoumonkeys said:
I don't really pre-order for bonuses or incentives or whatnot. In fact, I admit that pre-ordering is largely pointless for me.

But I do it anyway, because Gamestop is walking distance from where I work, and it's nice to be able to go during my lunch break and pick it up. Of course Gamestop has this weird tendency to only get in enough copies of a game to cover pre-orders sometimes, so I pre-order mainly just to make sure I get the game when I want it. It's all about convenience, and walking to Gamestop on my lunch break is the most convenient method of picking up a new release for me.

Sure, it'd be easy to just stop at Best Buy on my way home and grab it there, but it's easier to just not have to stop at all.
Apparently only filling the preorder is policy so they can say "Game X is super amazing! Look it's already sold out!". Like when Sony didn't put out enough PSX/PS2/PS3 units to fit the demand they were expecting, so the news would be "Holy shit they're already sold out!" on news sites to create buzz.

meganmeave said:
I understand developers are trying to get people to the point of one copy per person, as opposed to one copy, multiple people. They see a well of money, and they want their share. I get this. They are business men, and a thus trying to figure out how to make money on the used game market.

But I think the Dragon Age Signature Edition thing is going about it the wrong way. Now they are pushing back the project $10 bits to only those who pre-order. So if I buy a brand new game, I still don't have the option of getting the same thing others who paid $60 for a game got. For a lot of people, pre-orders don't really work. They want to see the reviews. They might need to save up the cash. There are a number of legitimate reasons why someone might not be able to pre-order.

Now, I don't think I'd have a problem with DA2 if when you bought the game new, you still got your "$10" worth of DLC. If the Signature edition DLC was special DLC only given to people who got the Signature edition. But the problem with how it's being done, everyone who pre-orders is getting the upgrade free, so really there is no upgrade. It's a pre-order bonus that was at one time a part of the new game package, like the Prisoner in Stone DLC for DA:O.

What it seems like to me, is they didn't want to make a special edition of DA2. So instead, they just did this. It seems lazy on the part of Bioware. The whole thing just reeks of bad decision making. There are better ways to reward pre-orders without pissing off people who buy the game new on release day or thereafter.
People who buy it off the shelf ARE getting the $10 content. The Black Emporium (it's content and missions) and the Mabari warhound are the $10 stuff. The Signature edition IS the special edition and so comes with extras. I preordered because I am willing to bet they will give me a product worth the money and they are giving me content to say "Thanks for believing we won't fuck you over". The people who are waiting for reviews clearly aren't betting on the game being good so why should they get better treatment than me? Try it with anyone you know, if you aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt they aren't going to give it to you.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Buy the game before it is out? Just beccause there is meaningless candy offered?

No, not for me. I wont pay 60$ for an unknown value. I try then maybe i buy if i like it enough.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
manythings said:
JediMB said:
Funny thing for me, though? I haven't paid a dime for my pre-order yet. I could cancel it a couple of days before the release, if I wanted to. Heck, if I'd made the order and said that I wanted to pick the game up in their store rather than have it sent by mail, I could have just decided not to buy the game and still get the pre-order DLC codes sent to my e-mail account. I'm not one to abuse awesome retailers, though, so of course I'm going through with the purchase.
Do we get the codes by email? I assumed there would be a slip in the box like with the Stone Prisoner and the Cerberus network.
Now that you mention it, the Fadeshear and Lion of Orlais items would likely be the only DLC they'd e-mail codes for. Some retailers put slips in the boxes, while others use e-mails.

But on second thought, it's very possible that Signature Editions come with factory-inserted DLC slips for those two items as well, and only the regular edition comes with separate pre-order codes.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
manythings said:
Ok since everyone seeems to either hate or love Dragon Age 2 based on the Day one DLC issue, I've been thinking about it.

Now as best I can tell the Hate camps argument is that because they have to preorder it to get the Full Day one stuff that their "Real" copy is being held for ransom and if they don't pay up then they recieve the crippled version when it comes out. Last year (in the build-up to DA:O) I was even in this camp until I fully understood why Day One DLC is being implemented as a policy. As a means of actually getting the consumer to buy new so the Devs could actually get paid for their work, as opposed to people buying used and the Devs getting the shaft. I like BioWare and their products and I want them to make more, so I buy new. I vote with my wallet.

I've preordered the Signature Edition and thusly will get the full package and thinking about so many people being mad that they aren't able to get it I've seen the other end of the equation;

If I am paying full price in advance/If I am thinking about paying in advance why is it wrong that I recieve a gift/incentive to do so? I'm forking out on the basis of my goodwill to the Dev precisely because I have played their stuff and enjoyed it so much.

If the dev doesn't have your goodwill or you just plain don't want to pay for admission I fail to see why you should get equal treatment for a lesser contribution?

Destructoid Article [http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-s-casey-hudson-rationalizes-day-one-dlc-168047.phtml] For perusal.
People who pre-order a game should be rewarded with DLC. They believe in the product enough to fork over their money when the product isn't even out, so the company rewards them for their loyalty and trust. And those who don't pre-order aren't punished. The DLC are cheap and nonessential add-ons that change nothing. It's not like getting the game after it's release means that the final mission is removed until you pay more money.

So stop complaining everyone. If you really want the DLC, fork over the 5-10 bucks for a deposit, then pay the rest later.

Nov 27, 2010
What pisses me off about Day 1 DLC is that it's being developed along with the rest of the actual game and comes out on the same day, giving the devs no excuse for making it DLC that you have to pay extra for.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Ponce Master-General said:
What pisses me off about Day 1 DLC is that it's being developed along with the rest of the actual game and comes out on the same day, giving the devs no excuse for making it DLC that you have to pay extra for.
They have a deadline and the Gold Date is usually about 12 weeks before the release date, even longer if it is meant to be a global simultaneous release (sometimes as long as 18 weeks). Dragon age 2 had to be out the door and printing on that date which leaves months of the staff bug fixing and patching so on Day One the stuff they didn't finish in time can be fixed, adjusted or included.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I'm getting the pre-order stuff this time around, because I'm up on the fact that this is coming out and I want it anyway so it makes good sense to get it on day one. That's not always the case though; sometimes I am just too busy with real life to know that games I want are coming out on such a date, or, more commonly, that there is a game I want out there that hasn't made it to the shelves yet.

I'm one of those old gamers who used to have time to know this stuff, but doesn't anymore because life has gotten bigger and more time consuming to manage my hobby's huge industry.

The solution I would like to see for all of this is: Sure, give content to the pre-order crowd, they deserve it - but make sure all the content is always available to all the customers no matter when they buy or how they got their game. They may have to pay for it as DLC later, where others got it 'free' (nothing is free really), but at least then everyone all the time will have access (should they choose to use it) to the entirety of the content that is meant to go with or be in the game.

Problem solved - for most people anyway.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
This argument is a little flawed to begin with, if you buy the game new, after it comes out, you still get some of the DLC anyway. The rest is pretty solid. I for one, see no problem with it, as long as DLC is not subtracting something from the game and is SPECIFICALLY a superfluous add on.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Katherine Ciesla said:
I'm getting the pre-order stuff this time around, because I'm up on the fact that this is coming out and I want it anyway so it makes good sense to get it on day one. That's not always the case though; sometimes I am just too busy with real life to know that games I want are coming out on such a date, or, more commonly, that there is a game I want out there that hasn't made it to the shelves yet.

I'm one of those old gamers who used to have time to know this stuff, but doesn't anymore because life has gotten bigger and more time consuming to manage my hobby's huge industry.

The solution I would like to see for all of this is: Sure, give content to the pre-order crowd, they deserve it - but make sure all the content is always available to all the customers no matter when they buy or how they got their game. They may have to pay for it as DLC later, where others got it 'free' (nothing is free really), but at least then everyone all the time will have access (should they choose to use it) to the entirety of the content that is meant to go with or be in the game.

Problem solved - for most people anyway.
That's actually what they are doing, and as I've said above, if you buy the game new, you still get some DLC for free.

Save us.A7X

Apr 15, 2009
I see why developers do it, the more people buy their games at the earliest stage the better for them. It is annoying seeing more and more preorder exclusive dlc though, if you can't afford to buy a game on day one your kinda screwed.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
The game could suck. The game may suck with the day1 DLC.

Here's what you do: wait for the reviews then wait for user reviews. Learn how much the game sucks. Then you can make an informed decision if the game is worth your time and money WITHOUT the DLC.
Play something else instead.