Poll: Will Bethesda's next big title suffer in sales because of Skyrim's notorious glitchiness?

LooK iTz Jinjo

Feb 22, 2009
Seriously, what the fuck is the point of all of those poll options? All you need is Yes, No and if you feel a need an IDK or Maybe for the indecisive fucks who shouldn't be voting anyway.

OT You're on drugs, of course they won't. Oblivion was glitchy as shit. Fallout 3 had plenty, glitches don't effect sales on games like these for shit. Why? Because no one cares, if you are playing on PC any 'game breaking' glitch is easily bypassed on a Bethesda game and it's only a matter of time before someone puts a 'get out of Solitude' tutorial on Youtube for all us console players.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Are we talking about Fallout 4 or TES:VI? Because I will have them both on pre-order asap.
Or are we talking about licensed games they'll be publishing, such as ID's next title or Prey 2? Because I'm 50/50 on a release purchase depending on what the devs do with them.

PS. More interrelating variables in a program creates exponentially more bugs; which equals more testing time. Hence why cod's campaign requires little testing, because little can differ / needs to be accounted for by the player, why Mass Effect 3 will require extensive testing in comparison to its prequels and the open worlds Bethesda create require constant testing throughout its entire development cycle by every member of the team, nearly every day. This is what they do. With the size Bethesda Studio games get, testing would take 2 damn years to be polished off. There are no better testers than the consumers themselves.

I will keep on buying their titles because they are innovating, complex, entertaining and freeform. The even release their damn development kits for it! They're a fully competent company who care for their customers and if you watch the DICE keynote by Todd Howard, you will see that the collected hatred against them is borderline unfounded. And that keynote wasn't even for consumers, it was for fellow/rival developers in an attempt to improve game quality. They do more than they have to when making a game. IF they were ever to release a relatively bug-free game. WE wouldn't have seen Skyrim out in the open until 2013 at least.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Yes, terribly, just like Skyrim suffered from FO3's glitchiness, and just like that suffered from Oblivion's, and just like Oblivion suffered from Morrowind's.

Wait a minute....

Most people understand that there's a trade-off, and whilst no, some bugs shouldn't be there at all, others are the price you pay for having a game that's so large.

And I must say, Skyrim has been the most polished of the lot for me. In 101 hours, I've had a mudcrab float in the air, a couple of instances of textures extending infinitely into the sky, and Louis Letrush has been duplicating himself outside of Whiterun - whilst also being killed by the same guy in the same scene several times over in different places.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
AnythingOutstanding said:
Bethesda's titles were always criminally buggy. Doesn't stop them from being a huge success though.
This. Fallout 3, Oblivion, New Vegas; all were huge releases and all were buggy as hell especially if you made the poor decision of buying for the PS3. The thing is, none of those buggy titles really seemed to hinder the success of the next in line (except perhaps Hunted the Demon Forge which it seems people would rather forget and which I've never played)

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Doubt it.

In the run up to its release it pretty much took over the forums.

all those "What game are you looking forward too?" threads had 90% answers saying "Skyrim because Skyrim". I'm sure history will repeat its self!

Mar 30, 2010
AnythingOutstanding said:
Bethesda's titles were always criminally buggy. Doesn't stop them from being a huge success though.
Exactly what I came here to say. And the first thread reply too. Well, damn...

Yeah, I can't remember a Bethesda game that wasn't a bug ridden mess on release. They're still hugely popular though.

Deludedfool

Dec 21, 2010
So far in my experience Skyrims been much less buggy than previous Bethesda (sp?) games, as long as they keep improving I see no reason not to buy their next game

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
Ofcourse not.
Did being a little glitchy at certain points stop it from being one of the best game released all year? Or crash their sales?
Ofcourse not. They make arguably the best Western Action RPG's and get booming sales as well.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Behtshda games have always been buggy has that EVER stunted sales?
also anybody who still makes a arrow to the knee joke should be launched from a cannon

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
As long as the pro's outweigh the cons it will still sell.
And in skyrim's case the scale has been broken and there is a hole in my floor to the center of the earth.
Its just a really good game at it's core and that is what matters.
Like kotor 2,dwarf fortress,and many others if they are fun people will forgive bugs.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Everyone knew Skyrim would be buggy as hell, and those sales sure didn't suffer.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
poodlenoodles said:
i had no problems at all except for a missing face once in a while, and that was on multiple playthroughs with 150+ hours of playing..... i like skyrim.
I would like it too if that was the biggest issue. Hell, if that was the only issue I had with the Fallout games, I would?ve actually bought Skyrim.

gmaverick019 said:
GonzoGamer said:
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.
yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.

but like said, as long as:

fun output > glitch output from the game, then i am one happy camper. i would much much much much much rather buy an amazing game with glitches than to have a technically sound game that was average, example here would be: kotor 2 vs dungeon siege III
Okay genius; then how do you explain two people playing the game on the same exact machine (but in different accounts) - one get's through the game with no problems and another who's game starts crashing almost immediately after starting.
I've also heard of this happening in the same account: where the same person starts a new playthrough and the game is all of a sudden broken for them.

But as was said in OP, that's not the point here.

As for fun output>glitch output, how much do you think the average gamer will put up with for a game as big as Skyrim? Because it seems to me that they are willing to put up with a hell of a lot.
genius? calm down there, i just merely mentioned how i was curious to see what hardware they were running. and it would depend on the machine they are running it on, but depending on that, i would say something in the temporary cache probably triggered it, if the only thing that changed was the account (which makes zero difference) then it had to be from something the first person had done. more than likely is my random guess.

I actually had this happen on mass effect once, funny thing really, the quick fix for it? rebooted my system and it ran flawlessly.

the average gamer? i have no idea, i've put up with days worth of troubleshooting for bugs before, but that didn't stop me once i got it and enjoyed the hell out of the game. and i have no idea where you have been hearing this, but I have heard of very little game breaking glitches at all in skyrim, the occasional body drop the floor or physics of the game glitching a bit, but besides that I haven't heard/seen much, at least nowhere near as much as fallout/oblivion/morrowwind, and i'd call that a win in their book.
Yea, I?m really frothing at the mouth. The fact is that these freezing problems have plagued people on all sorts of different PCs, 360s, and PS3s and not just with Skyrim but with the Fallout games too. There isn?t much of a pattern in the hardware. And who cares about the issues with the PC; the modders usually have these games patched up in a month or two. It?s the consoles that have to depend on the mercy of Bethesda. Rebooting might work for Mass Effect but I know people who have tried re-formatting completely their console or PC just to play a Bethesda game and still had the same problems.
You really haven?t heard about game breaking glitches in Skyrim? I find that hard to believe considering you?re in a gaming forum. It?s become pretty notorious. It was all that came up when you Googled Skyrim after the review hype died down.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
What I want to know is do you think sales of their next big release will suffer (especially on the ps3) because of the notoriety of the issues.
Did Skyrim's sales suffer from Oblivion's notoriety? The Fifth Anniversary Edition (basically the GOTY Edition) was still ridded with game breaking bugs, despite unofficial patches having cleared up 90% of the issues on PC. Fallout 3 wasn't much better either, I remember Point Lookout in particular being unplayable at some stages.

Despite that, both of them were extremely popular and Skyrim still sold well. If anything I think Skyrim has boosted their sales for next time, it's accessibility has opened up the game to whole new audiences.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
No. Of course not. Bethesda games always have stupid amount of glitches, and they tend to be unbalanced. But they make the game so good, the open areas so open, and the game so FUN it doesn't matter. You forgive the failures. They really should do somthing about it though. Every one of their games i've played, i have had a game-breaking glitch that means I have to start over.
Which is irritaing.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Did Skyrim suffer from every other Bethesda game being a glitchy mess? No? Well, then there's your answer.