Poll: Will Bethesda's next big title suffer in sales because of Skyrim's notorious glitchiness?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Not saying it is glitchy or not (there's enough threads for that and it's obvious some suffer, some don't, and even some who think they don?t but do); this thread isn't for that so I don't care if you've had no problems or if it crashes every 5 mins on you.

What I want to know is do you think sales of their next big release will suffer (especially on the ps3) because of the notoriety of the issues.

On the one hand, there seems to be as much publicity of the issues as there is of the content. On the other hand, previous Bethesda ports have been just as notorious and that didn't seem to affect Skyrim sales.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Absolutely not.
Even the modding fanbase has put up with over half a decade of servicing the game FOR Bethesda; why stop now?

boag

Sep 13, 2010
AnythingOutstanding said:
Bethesda's titles were always criminally buggy. Doesn't stop them from being a huge success though.
This, Bethesda will continue to develop glitchy broken games, the issue is, will they continue to be fun enough to ofset the frustration of needing several save points.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Neah. Look at Oblivion. Not only was it a bad game, but it was also glitchy and buggy as any other game they released. Skyrim still made it big. I think it's because they're the only devs who make known open-world games, but your guess is as good as mine.

Sep 14, 2009
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.
yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.

but like said, as long as:

fun output > glitch output from the game, then i am one happy camper. i would much much much much much rather buy an amazing game with glitches than to have a technically sound game that was average, example here would be: kotor 2 vs dungeon siege III

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I never experienced any game breaking bugs in Skyrim, some minor graphical issues, some things like weapon racks not working, I even had a bookcase show all the books on it but refuse to be accessed. So I havnt seen these game breaking bugs other people have seen which makes me think theyre rare and Ive never seen anything broken about it either.

That said, I dont think it will effect whether or not I buy the next fallout or Elder scrolls game. Neither do I think that they will suffer in sales

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Probably not, there games aren't as buggy as people make them out to be. I think it's just because so many people talk about the same bugs over and over again that people think it's broken. I know I would still buy it.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Bethesda have always excelled in creating sandbox RPGs where you can explore and mess around to your heart's content. They're perhaps in need of a little more QA testing, but the Elder Scrolls and new Fallouts are still among my favourite games.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Hehe no, it's not like it's the first time they release a buggy game.Morrowind had bugs, Oblivion had bugs, Fallout 3 had bugs etc...

People (should) know what to expect of Bethesda, they have a lot of qualities but thorough quality control isn't one of them...

then again, being 100% thorough for games that are so huge in scope is a very tall order...

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
I think with how popular Skyrim is, more people than ever are enjoying Elder Scrolls, but more people than ever are also seeing how shallow and broken the TES formula is. And with games like Amalur coming out and being just as big while being arguably more fun to actually PLAY, and definitely much more stable, the scrutiny is only gonna get worse for the series if it doesn't fix the issues it suffers from.

I doubt the next game's sales are gonna suffer, but I think Skyrim is the absolute last time they can get away with releasing a game on an unpolished engine. There is no reason for that anymore. If the same problems afflict TESVI and the game ends up feeling just like Skyrim, especially after something like Amalur coming out, then critically speaking it will be the beginning of the end for the love affair with TES. I really think they should take the Skyrim money and make the engine as stable as possible. It's impossible for it to be perfect, yes, but this is the second game that suffers from the same exact issues with the engine. Were they PC only games I wouldn't care that much but Bethesda is making these for consoles now too, and they get no access to the mods.

Or maybe do away with some of the more frivolous aspects of the series that are taxing on the engine. Do we really need the physics engine on every item? Does the system really need to remember that you dropped an apple on the floor for so long? Do we need all this emergent quest and AI that ultimately ends up becoming repetitive and unnoticeable? Think long and hard about what works and what doesn't, and plug up all the worst offenders.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
If Fallout 3 didn't harm Skyrim's sales then Skyrim won't harm the next game's, unless the next update results in the game disc spontaneously combusting.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Already been covered by others. Oblivion was glitchy, Fallout was glitchy, Skyrim was glitchy, the next game will be glitchy. It is not possible to produce such large pieces of software without some bugs. The main question is how serious are the bugs and how many people do they affect. Dead bodies spazzing out was practically a trademark of the Gamebryo-based games, but did it really hurt the game that much? Nope.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
lets look at some good selling games
Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Fallout NV (not devd by bethesda but they take active roles in publishing their games)
Skyrim

in my opinion each games was buggier than the last and all (except for NV but i could be wrong) sold better than the last and morrowind continues to sell even today

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:

yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.

but like said, as long as:

fun output > glitch output from the game, then i am one happy camper. i would much much much much much rather buy an amazing game with glitches than to have a technically sound game that was average, example here would be: kotor 2 vs dungeon siege III
Okay genius; then how do you explain two people playing the game on the same exact machine (but in different accounts) - one get's through the game with no problems and another who's game starts crashing almost immediately after starting.
I've also heard of this happening in the same account: where the same person starts a new playthrough and the game is all of a sudden broken for them.

But as was said in OP, that's not the point here.

As for fun output>glitch output, how much do you think the average gamer will put up with for a game as big as Skyrim? Because it seems to me that they are willing to put up with a hell of a lot.