Poll: Will Bethesda's next big title suffer in sales because of Skyrim's notorious glitchiness?

Popeman

Nov 6, 2011
ChromaticWolfen said:
Probably not, there games aren't as buggy as people make them out to be. I think it's just because so many people talk about the same bugs over and over again that people think it's broken. I know I would still buy it.
That's my thoughts on the matter I had the PS3 version and I never had a game braking glitch.

Sep 14, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.
yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.

but like said, as long as:

fun output > glitch output from the game, then i am one happy camper. i would much much much much much rather buy an amazing game with glitches than to have a technically sound game that was average, example here would be: kotor 2 vs dungeon siege III
Okay genius; then how do you explain two people playing the game on the same exact machine (but in different accounts) - one get's through the game with no problems and another who's game starts crashing almost immediately after starting.
I've also heard of this happening in the same account: where the same person starts a new playthrough and the game is all of a sudden broken for them.

But as was said in OP, that's not the point here.

As for fun output>glitch output, how much do you think the average gamer will put up with for a game as big as Skyrim? Because it seems to me that they are willing to put up with a hell of a lot.
genius? calm down there, i just merely mentioned how i was curious to see what hardware they were running. and it would depend on the machine they are running it on, but depending on that, i would say something in the temporary cache probably triggered it, if the only thing that changed was the account (which makes zero difference) then it had to be from something the first person had done. more than likely is my random guess.

I actually had this happen on mass effect once, funny thing really, the quick fix for it? rebooted my system and it ran flawlessly.

the average gamer? i have no idea, i've put up with days worth of troubleshooting for bugs before, but that didn't stop me once i got it and enjoyed the hell out of the game. and i have no idea where you have been hearing this, but I have heard of very little game breaking glitches at all in skyrim, the occasional body drop the floor or physics of the game glitching a bit, but besides that I haven't heard/seen much, at least nowhere near as much as fallout/oblivion/morrowwind, and i'd call that a win in their book.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
Most PC RPGs have been horrible bugfest since time immemorial. The rose-tinted glasses through which we now look at games like Fallout 2 easily let us forget how pathetically bug-ridden this thing was when it first came out. Heck, we now have fan-patches even depriving retro-curious youngins of all the bugs that remained even after several official patches.

Compared to other developers, Bethesda's track record is actually okay. Not as good as Bioware's, but way better than, say, Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian. Compared to the previous TES titles, Skyrim felt *very* polished, especially if you were playing on PC where any quest bug could be resolved via console commands (and considering the sheer number of quests, a few minor sidequests being bugged doesn't seem like that much of an issue).

So no, their sales won't suffer. In fact, I believe Skyrim will be remembered much more fondly than Oblivion.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Glitches don't actually detract from a game much, especially when you have a dedicated modding community.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
If that were the case, New Vegas would have been a failure after the mess that was Fallout 3, and Skyrim wouldn't have even existed because of Oblivion.

So my answer is no.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
ALL of there games are buggy, but that didn't hurt Skyrim, why would it hurt any other title?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Terminate421 said:
I Iike the part where Kennedy level theories are derived from skyrim doing well
Well, I'm not one to wear a tinfoil hat, but Lee Harvey Oswald was clearly aimbotting.

I've experienced gamebreaking glitches in Skyrim a handful of times, each one was just a failure to properly load a new area/autosave freezing.
Minor bugs happen all the time; people's feet sinking a few inches into the floor, dead bodies having epileptic fits in water, but I don't mind them.

One of Bethesda's biggest problems is that the engine they are using (Gamebryo) is quite old now and not fully suited for these types of games, the mounting lag issues as your save gets bigger is one example of a core issue that could potentially be fixed by using a better optimised engine. People were surprised and a little dissapointed when they said they'd be using the same engine for Skyrim (albeit slightly tweaked from the last Fallout game) So they will almost certainly have to invest in a new, faster and tighter engine for their next game, hopefully leading to less bugs.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
LIke others, I doubt it'll have much effect - their previous games had a similar reputation, and that didn't stop Skyrim selling a bajillion copies.

1-up

May 12, 2011
Until something comparable comes out that can compete with the massive worlds that Bethesda/Oblivion provides, I don't see their sales faltering.

They're one of the very few game companies that make a product worth the $60 price tag. 100+ hours? Yes please!

The bugs exist, but for the vast majority of players they're easily overlooked/dealt with. Hell, anybody who used to play games during the DOS days doesn't even blink an eye at the bugs in Bethesda games. Back then every game you bought involved prayer during the installation process. The occasional CTD is hardly worth getting worked up over.

Tryforlive

Sep 1, 2009
my hole one glitch i have had says to me no connor they will be fine when the next great game (hoping for fallout 4) comes out

targren

May 13, 2009
Probably not. After The offensive one-two punch that was Fallout 3, then Skyrim, I personally won't be buying any Bethesda games again. But They've got a brand loyalty (not that I can understand why) that is smaller but just as fanatic as Blizzard's. Personally, I've had it with buggy POS games that require me to install all kinds of shitware onto my PC to play them (Steam, GFWL) and then take 5 years to have all the bugs fixed. Usually by people who don't even work for Bethesda.

Yeah, I'm a little cranky, I admit. Since I dusted off Skyrim again now that the SCK is out, and actually bothered to update it. MIS-TAKE.

At least Oblivion had the decency to not crap all over my computer.

Screw Bethesda.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
If anything I plan to buy next title early enough to experience best glitches. To this day i regret not getting to experience orbital launching giants.. that would launch player up off planet after being killed.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
If I recall correctly, Arena had to be patched TWICE before it would work at all, Daggerfall had bugs out the ass, don't know about Morrowind, Oblivion was buggy as hell if I recall correctly, and and most of Skyrims bugs have been fixed (read: MOST). And that's just the Elder Scrolls series.

This kinda seems like a thing for them, but since they make great games, I'm not too bothered by it (as evidenced by the 200+ hours I've sunk into Skyrim). Besides, it's Bethesda. The game could make your computer grow a fist and punch you in the mouth and people would still buy it.

Rivenart

Feb 1, 2012
I voted for "Can't speak for other but I won't be getting the next game".
The bugginess plays a large part but not the whole of why I won't make another Bethesda purchase.
1) Foolish I know but I had hoped after using the engine multiple times, they would have got better, but no many of the bugs they've been fixing for 3 months and some still yet to fix are bugs that have been present in every game of that engine, well know issues now, and have been fixed before in each previous title. It's like they release a game and reset to default standards, an earlier date.
2) Thier PR handling on the whole thing, frankly they where out right insulting and demeaning at times when issues where raised. Maybe they were frustrated but this went beyond the volenteers of the forums and included the paid staff.
3) The Glitches are one thing lowering the "fun" of the game but even without the total of all it's parts actually comes to less. Each feature is so empty, devoid of value and interacts poorly with other parts of the game they just detract from the whole experience.
4) 15 minutes of opening are filled with numberous flaws, for a game that boasts immersion they couldn't get the "acting" timed right, have characters not vanish when passing though doors, have corpses not move or even not drop any of the stories points of interest raised (lokir has no home or history, Ralof isn't as interested in Mead with Juniper berries as he claims etc). It's just bad form and an excellent marker of where they set the bar from the start.
5) Let's face it, it's the same game again but with worse features. I could have got mods for oblivion for free with more interesting stories, gameplay and more stable with much more change. Any new feature added (marriage, on going quests etc.) already exist as mods with better depth.

Frankly I'm still completely lost over why it's praised so highly, even for things most other games are ripped to shreds for having. That is when issues aren't completely ignored.."Just RP it"..bleh. End of the day that's just me, I no longer feel they are a company worth following, I think these things are bad choices and sloppy design (possibly resulting from a team with severe ADHD). Sure they are not Peter M. and Fable but they have crossed the line that is all too close for me, although in one aspect I consider fable better, some of the features in it are much more full and entertaining (relationships and generic randomized npcs having more life then Beth's set ones to name a couple).

poodlenoodles

Nov 17, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.
yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.

but like said, as long as:

fun output > glitch output from the game, then i am one happy camper. i would much much much much much rather buy an amazing game with glitches than to have a technically sound game that was average, example here would be: kotor 2 vs dungeon siege III
Okay genius; then how do you explain two people playing the game on the same exact machine (but in different accounts) - one get's through the game with no problems and another who's game starts crashing almost immediately after starting.
I've also heard of this happening in the same account: where the same person starts a new playthrough and the game is all of a sudden broken for them.

But as was said in OP, that's not the point here.

As for fun output>glitch output, how much do you think the average gamer will put up with for a game as big as Skyrim? Because it seems to me that they are willing to put up with a hell of a lot.
i had no problems at all except for a missing face once in a while, and that was on multiple playthroughs with 150+ hours of playing..... i like skyrim.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:

Yeah, only time I ever have trouble with a Bethesda games is when I screwed up my mod load order, or wrote a script wrong or something like that. Vanilla is always fine for me, and it makes me wonder if there isn't something of a crowd mentality for bashing Bethesda games for being glitchy.

To those who say Bethesda is a bad developer because of the glitches they run into: this isn't an ordinary game where it is a very defined experience for every players. There are literally billions of variables, and it is impossible to catch them all with QA. Even if they had 500 people testing it for a year, there would still be glitches.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
You act like Skyrim is the first Bethesda title that has been glitchy. Glitchiness is their fucking reputation, anyone who wouldn't buy a game of theirs because of that has already stopped buying their games.