Poll: Will Bethesda's next big title suffer in sales because of Skyrim's notorious glitchiness?

Sep 14, 2009
targren said:
gmaverick019 said:
ah i see, well the UI is one of the things that skyrim didn't excel in exactly..for pc at least. have you tried any of the UI mods? personally i like skyUI, but it's not for everyone.

the graphics card is the only thing that is really different between our systems, so i can't speak on it's behalf, but otherwise the game is running flawlessly on ultra for me, and that is with 20+ mods running in the background..have you tried using NMM or steam's workshop? steam's workshop is frickin cake when it comes to installing some user developed mods.
Oh, it's definitely not the hardware, since the new problems didn't happen before on the SAME hardware (For the record, though, the video card clocks in at a 7.3 on Windows 7 "Experience index". That's damned good)

And Actually, I did try SkyUI. It didn't fix the problem which looks like it had something to do with a bodged update. Since re-installing means downloading 5 gigs all over again, I just uninstalled the whole mess, and then uninstalled FO3 so that I could rip GFWL off, too.

Just not worth it.
did you have the SKSE (skyrim script extender) installed? that is required to run the SkyUI i believe...which may have caused problems for you, and you usually do need the most up to date version of that. honestly besides that, i have no idea why you would have a single problem with the game, your system must have a ghost in it, because i have 4 friends who all have similar systems and not once have had any problems.

what games do you play that seem to work then? just curious as to what works via skyrim/fallout 3 not working for you.

targren

May 13, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
did you have the SKSE (skyrim script extender) installed? that is required to run the SkyUI i believe...which may have caused problems for you, and you usually do need the most up to date version of that. honestly besides that, i have no idea why you would have a single problem with the game, your system must have a ghost in it, because i have 4 friends who all have similar systems and not once have had any problems.

what games do you play that seem to work then? just curious as to what works via skyrim/fallout 3 not working for you.
I didn't run SkyUI until AFTER I started having the problems, in hopes that it would fix them, so no SKSE.

Fallout 3 worked with a bunch of community bugfix patches. I'm just pissed enough about the whole thing to decide it's not a good enough game to justify the hoop-jumping and crapware. Guild Wars still runs fine (ran 7 concurrent copies over this past festival weekend without so much as a hiccup). Age of Conan. Torchlight and most of my GoG stuff, naturally. And Skyrim without the updates worked as well as it was Skyrim. This was definitely a game bug, not a system problem.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I imagine it's already been said a gajillion times, but no, their sales won't suffer, because I don't think Skyrim's glitchiness is that notorious, because it's not universal - for the vast majority of people, any glitchiness, if it does rear its head, takes the form of a mammoth jumping 1000 feet in the air and going splat on its way down. If you're lucky, it might bump into a passing dragon. Any individual encounters of glitchiness must come after experiencing what Skyrim is far, far more notorious for - being stunningly awesome.

Every other Bethesda game has been glitched in similar ways, because Bethesda games are pretty darn similar when you break them down, and it has not stopped them being tremendously successful. Personally, I haven't found Skyrim particularly glitched. Fallout 3, I did, but not enough to stop me enjoying it (the first time, anyways).

Skyrim's reputation is not negative, not to the general consumer - it's overwhelmingly positive. And even if you'd dispute me on that, there's enough positive reputation, and enough Aggregate reputation, that even if it were more notoriously glitchy than I think it is, it would still not suffer because it has enough good rep, and any negative rep only increases its recognizability.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Honestly, Skyrim has had almost no bugs at all from me, and I'm pretty sure it's had the fewest amount of bugs overall for any bethesda game in recent history. I might not get their next Fallout game because I'm just not into the setting, but I'll certainly get TES6 whenever it comes out.

Jul 9, 2008
targren said:
Probably not. After The offensive one-two punch that was Fallout 3, then Skyrim, I personally won't be buying any Bethesda games again. But They've got a brand loyalty (not that I can understand why) that is smaller but just as fanatic as Blizzard's. Personally, I've had it with buggy POS games that require me to install all kinds of shitware onto my PC to play them (Steam, GFWL) and then take 5 years to have all the bugs fixed. Usually by people who don't even work for Bethesda.

Yeah, I'm a little cranky, I admit. Since I dusted off Skyrim again now that the SCK is out, and actually bothered to update it. MIS-TAKE.

At least Oblivion had the decency to not crap all over my computer.

Screw Bethesda.
GFWL? I know that Skyrim was the first of their games that was actually Steamworks, but I thought they all still largely went through Steam before this? I mean, I have Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3, and NV installed, and I don't have GFWL.

As for bugs, I personally have only encountered them rarely (unless you count slight physics engine glitches), so whatever. As others have said, I guess it varies from person to person.

Sep 14, 2009
targren said:
gmaverick019 said:

I didn't run SkyUI until AFTER I started having the problems, in hopes that it would fix them, so no SKSE.

Fallout 3 worked with a bunch of community bugfix patches. I'm just pissed enough about the whole thing to decide it's not a good enough game to justify the hoop-jumping and crapware. Guild Wars still runs fine (ran 7 concurrent copies over this past festival weekend without so much as a hiccup). Age of Conan. Torchlight and most of my GoG stuff, naturally. And Skyrim without the updates worked as well as it was Skyrim. This was definitely a game bug, not a system problem.
http://skse.silverlock.org/

that is the skyrim version of it, but that is needed to run a TON of different mods through games, so if you want to give skyrim a different try, run skyrim, then install that after installing all the patches, and then add your mods, including SkyUI, and give it a go? like i said, perhaps you want to try doing this all through thew new steamworks shop, it makes installing mods as easy as a click.

targren

May 13, 2009
GFWL? I know that Skyrim was the first of their games that was actually Steamworks, but I thought they all still largely went through Steam before this? I mean, I have Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3, and NV installed, and I don't have GFWL.
Maybe it's just the GOTY, but my FO3 came with GFWL (and a pile of achievements that don't work anyway). Even if I use the "hack" to rip out GFWL, the game still screams about a missing DLL and dies if its not installed.

targren

May 13, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
that is the skyrim version of it, but that is needed to run a TON of different mods through games, so if you want to give skyrim a different try, run skyrim, then install that after installing all the patches, and then add your mods, including SkyUI, and give it a go? like i said, perhaps you want to try doing this all through thew new steamworks shop, it makes installing mods as easy as a click.
I doubt it. It's not worth the bandwidth to download the whole thing again. The whole mess has left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe in a few months when the community fixes start showing up.

Jul 9, 2008
targren said:
Maybe it's just the GOTY, but my FO3 came with GFWL (and a pile of achievements that don't work anyway). Even if I use the "hack" to rip out GFWL, the game still screams about a missing DLL and dies if its not installed.
Now that's weird. When did you buy it? I bought the GOTY edition a couple months ago, and there was no GFWL.

targren

May 13, 2009
Now that's weird. When did you buy it? I bought the GOTY edition a couple months ago, and there was no GFWL.
Bugger if I remember, honestly. :)

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
To expect a Bethesda game to not have glitches and bug flying out its ass is like expecting to become a multi-billionaire tomorrow. In other words, it's not going to happen. The reason so many people complained about the bugs in Skyrim is because there was so much hype for the game that a lot of people, even if they wont admit it, expected it to be perfect and free of at least 90% of the bugs they encountered. With the exception of the bugs and glitches that screw up my ability to complete various quests or have to repeat/lose the last hour or so of game play, I usually love finding little bugs and glitches mostly because they make me take a step back from everything else to just laugh at the game, but I'm getting a bit off topic now. Even with those guaranteed bugs and glitches, the sales of their next big game are not going to suffer as long as the game dose not get too hyped. Remember, too much hype=giant expectations and giant expectations=huge disappointments.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Skyrim's notorious glitchiness? You obviously have not played Fallout NV, it's like glitch and bug central.

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
Firstly I would like to acknowledged that I do know FO:NV was Obsidian not Bethsoft, but when you think of FO:NV you think Beth not Obsidian. Now that that is out of the way, sales will not be hurt by Skyrim's bugginess because Skyrim did not suffer sales lost from NV's much worse bugginess (anytime you can use that non-word you should).

I personally had a much worse time with NV then I have had with Skyrim, even with participating in the Beta (although keeping my script extender updated is a little annoying, not undo-able just annoying.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.
yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.
I can give some feedback on that. I play skyrim on an asus G73 JH laptop and have experienced game breaking glitches (the sound bug on the main quest being the worst as it rendered the game impossible to finish). It also has a relatively insubstancial weird minimize bug and occasional visual bugs. As a reasonably computer literate gamer, I can assure you that my experiences were a little more tedious to fix than 3 minute patches/config file changes (the sound file could apparently be fixed by using the oblivion TESCS kit, but that was not widely know at the time, so the only way to progress was to use the console to knock yourself forward through the game). From what I understand the sound glitch was fairly common as well, which reflects very badly on the overall quality of the game (especially because it affects several core quests).

I never played fallout, but I played Oblivion on a frankenstien desktop that had no right to ever run anything smoothly (it was also running a pre-release version of windows vista), and morrowind was played on an oldschool IBM thinkbad laptop. Other than minor performance issues with the laptop, there were no significant bugs.

I obviously found skyrim to be the buggiest title to date, which I think is probably to do with it being pushed out before being properly tested. From what I gather the PS3 release is the most broken, the PC version is somewhat broken and the xbox 360 version is of about normal quality.

Apr 28, 2008
Arena's bugginess didn't effect sales of Daggerfall. Daggerfall's bugginess didn't effect sales of Morrowind. Morrowind's bugginess didn't effect sales of Oblivion. Oblivion's bugginess didn't effect sales of Fallout 3. Fallout 3's bugginess didn't effect sales of Skyrim.

In fact, each game seems to sell better than the last.

So... no, it won't hurt them at all. Even though their games are bugged to hell and back. Because it doesn't matter if their games tend to be fundamentally broken on one or more levels, because... I don't really know, actually.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
You do realize that all bathesda releases are notoriously glitchy. It didn't hurt skyrim sales, it won't hurt the next one either

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Jove said:
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.
yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.

but like said, as long as:

fun output > glitch output from the game, then i am one happy camper. i would much much much much much rather buy an amazing game with glitches than to have a technically sound game that was average, example here would be: kotor 2 vs dungeon siege III
Damn it, i knew I was ninjaed before I made my post.

But yeah guys, you should really check your hardware before blaming th game.
That'd be relevant if the most game breaking glitches didn't occur predominantly on consoles. You know, where the hardware is preset and bugs are easiest to avoid because of this.