Poll: Will Bethesda's next big title suffer in sales because of Skyrim's notorious glitchiness?

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I highly doubt it. See, even though Skyrim was buggy (though honestly I only ran in to 2 noticeable ones) it was still very fun, and their games tend to be well supported by the modder community to the point you can get a completely new game out of the title within a year.

And in case anyone is wondering, doubtful as I am, I killed a giant and his club started floating away and the other glitch was I couldn't get one of those 3 amulet pieces because I'd killed the guy before the quest started.

Sep 14, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
gmaverick019 said:
GonzoGamer said:
poodlenoodles said:
i had no problems at all except for a missing face once in a while, and that was on multiple playthroughs with 150+ hours of playing..... i like skyrim.
I would like it too if that was the biggest issue. Hell, if that was the only issue I had with the Fallout games, I would?ve actually bought Skyrim.

gmaverick019 said:
GonzoGamer said:
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.
yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.

but like said, as long as:

fun output > glitch output from the game, then i am one happy camper. i would much much much much much rather buy an amazing game with glitches than to have a technically sound game that was average, example here would be: kotor 2 vs dungeon siege III
Okay genius; then how do you explain two people playing the game on the same exact machine (but in different accounts) - one get's through the game with no problems and another who's game starts crashing almost immediately after starting.
I've also heard of this happening in the same account: where the same person starts a new playthrough and the game is all of a sudden broken for them.

But as was said in OP, that's not the point here.

As for fun output>glitch output, how much do you think the average gamer will put up with for a game as big as Skyrim? Because it seems to me that they are willing to put up with a hell of a lot.
genius? calm down there, i just merely mentioned how i was curious to see what hardware they were running. and it would depend on the machine they are running it on, but depending on that, i would say something in the temporary cache probably triggered it, if the only thing that changed was the account (which makes zero difference) then it had to be from something the first person had done. more than likely is my random guess.

I actually had this happen on mass effect once, funny thing really, the quick fix for it? rebooted my system and it ran flawlessly.

the average gamer? i have no idea, i've put up with days worth of troubleshooting for bugs before, but that didn't stop me once i got it and enjoyed the hell out of the game. and i have no idea where you have been hearing this, but I have heard of very little game breaking glitches at all in skyrim, the occasional body drop the floor or physics of the game glitching a bit, but besides that I haven't heard/seen much, at least nowhere near as much as fallout/oblivion/morrowwind, and i'd call that a win in their book.
Yea, I?m really frothing at the mouth. The fact is that these freezing problems have plagued people on all sorts of different PCs, 360s, and PS3s and not just with Skyrim but with the Fallout games too. There isn?t much of a pattern in the hardware. And who cares about the issues with the PC; the modders usually have these games patched up in a month or two. It?s the consoles that have to depend on the mercy of Bethesda. Rebooting might work for Mass Effect but I know people who have tried re-formatting completely their console or PC just to play a Bethesda game and still had the same problems.
You really haven?t heard about game breaking glitches in Skyrim? I find that hard to believe considering you?re in a gaming forum. It?s become pretty notorious. It was all that came up when you Googled Skyrim after the review hype died down.
you just seemed to have some personal vendetta, beyond what i merely stated. but anyways, you didn't mention what specific system you were playing on, and yes i had heard of problems initially,as in the first few weeks for SOME people, i have heard of next to nothing the past month or two on anything relating to skyrim bugs, and for the consoles i would just say that really sucks, they must have a really goofy version of it, idk what model they are currently having installed but i remember when they switched to the JASPR chip on the 360's and they seemed to work better, and for ps3, bethesda has always had horrible support for, like quite a few 3rd party developers seem to have for the ps3 unfortunately. Point out to me on the escapist the rampant amount of skyrim game breaking glitches you apparently see, because i have seen very little or next to none in discussion, and unfortunately for you i don't go to google in my free time to creepily search and see who is having problems with what game and as to why.
But you don't even have to creepily search for problems; and I really don't want to know what you do when searching google if things can get creepy.
But you just have to search "Skyrim ps3." It's all been talked about for a while. Maybe you're just not very preceptive.
Of course I have a personal vendetta against them: they've charged me $60 a pop to beta test a couple of their games. I have a vendetta against anyone who even tries to rip me off.
my point was, i'm not going to randomly search for something like that, i don't know who would possibly do that in their spare time.

maybe the threads were something that were very europe/australian based, because when i'm on i have yet to see one since december relating to any kind of skyrim bugs, the only skyrim discussions to be had were ones relating to if not people enjoyed it and relentless "arrow in the knee" jokes, or ones discussing what mods people were using and the load order.

well no offense, bethesda is universally known to be bug ridden, i have yet to buy a single game of theirs that wasn't that way and i don't see them changing anytime soon..and you probably could've taken it right back with receipt in hand i'm sure, if you were that thoroughly disappointed with the 60 bucks spent on the game, i've had friends do it multiple times with COD/Dungeon Siege/Dragon age II, got every cent back.

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
I wouldn't think they'd suffer. The majority of the glitches aren't game breaking. I haven't given a thought to the next elder scrolls game, give it three years and I shall be desperately trawling the nets for info on the next installment.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
GonzoGamer said:
gmaverick019 said:
GonzoGamer said:
poodlenoodles said:
i had no problems at all except for a missing face once in a while, and that was on multiple playthroughs with 150+ hours of playing..... i like skyrim.
I would like it too if that was the biggest issue. Hell, if that was the only issue I had with the Fallout games, I would?ve actually bought Skyrim.

gmaverick019 said:
GonzoGamer said:
gmaverick019 said:
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:
For one I found Skryim to be rather glitchless. But on the other hand, I had literally no problems with Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. My rig is basically a magic box that runs all Bethesda games perfect.

On the other side: Skyrim ist not the first "buggy" game Bethesda released. Sales will not suffer.
Same here. I'm not saying some people don't have glitchy experiences, but I find it hard to believe that I'm so lucky that I've only had very minor ones in all these games.
yupp, i'm quite curious on these people's hardware who have all these problems with bethesda games...any problems i do have are literally a 3 minute fix, with either turning off a setting until it gets patched or something extremely easy.

but like said, as long as:

fun output > glitch output from the game, then i am one happy camper. i would much much much much much rather buy an amazing game with glitches than to have a technically sound game that was average, example here would be: kotor 2 vs dungeon siege III
Okay genius; then how do you explain two people playing the game on the same exact machine (but in different accounts) - one get's through the game with no problems and another who's game starts crashing almost immediately after starting.
I've also heard of this happening in the same account: where the same person starts a new playthrough and the game is all of a sudden broken for them.

But as was said in OP, that's not the point here.

As for fun output>glitch output, how much do you think the average gamer will put up with for a game as big as Skyrim? Because it seems to me that they are willing to put up with a hell of a lot.
genius? calm down there, i just merely mentioned how i was curious to see what hardware they were running. and it would depend on the machine they are running it on, but depending on that, i would say something in the temporary cache probably triggered it, if the only thing that changed was the account (which makes zero difference) then it had to be from something the first person had done. more than likely is my random guess.

I actually had this happen on mass effect once, funny thing really, the quick fix for it? rebooted my system and it ran flawlessly.

the average gamer? i have no idea, i've put up with days worth of troubleshooting for bugs before, but that didn't stop me once i got it and enjoyed the hell out of the game. and i have no idea where you have been hearing this, but I have heard of very little game breaking glitches at all in skyrim, the occasional body drop the floor or physics of the game glitching a bit, but besides that I haven't heard/seen much, at least nowhere near as much as fallout/oblivion/morrowwind, and i'd call that a win in their book.
Yea, I?m really frothing at the mouth. The fact is that these freezing problems have plagued people on all sorts of different PCs, 360s, and PS3s and not just with Skyrim but with the Fallout games too. There isn?t much of a pattern in the hardware. And who cares about the issues with the PC; the modders usually have these games patched up in a month or two. It?s the consoles that have to depend on the mercy of Bethesda. Rebooting might work for Mass Effect but I know people who have tried re-formatting completely their console or PC just to play a Bethesda game and still had the same problems.
You really haven?t heard about game breaking glitches in Skyrim? I find that hard to believe considering you?re in a gaming forum. It?s become pretty notorious. It was all that came up when you Googled Skyrim after the review hype died down.
you just seemed to have some personal vendetta, beyond what i merely stated. but anyways, you didn't mention what specific system you were playing on, and yes i had heard of problems initially,as in the first few weeks for SOME people, i have heard of next to nothing the past month or two on anything relating to skyrim bugs, and for the consoles i would just say that really sucks, they must have a really goofy version of it, idk what model they are currently having installed but i remember when they switched to the JASPR chip on the 360's and they seemed to work better, and for ps3, bethesda has always had horrible support for, like quite a few 3rd party developers seem to have for the ps3 unfortunately. Point out to me on the escapist the rampant amount of skyrim game breaking glitches you apparently see, because i have seen very little or next to none in discussion, and unfortunately for you i don't go to google in my free time to creepily search and see who is having problems with what game and as to why.
But you don't even have to creepily search for problems; and I really don't want to know what you do when searching google if things can get creepy.
But you just have to search "Skyrim ps3." It's all been talked about for a while. Maybe you're just not very preceptive.
Of course I have a personal vendetta against them: they've charged me $60 a pop to beta test a couple of their games. I have a vendetta against anyone who even tries to rip me off.
my point was, i'm not going to randomly search for something like that, i don't know who would possibly do that in their spare time.

maybe the threads were something that were very europe/australian based, because when i'm on i have yet to see one since december relating to any kind of skyrim bugs, the only skyrim discussions to be had were ones relating to if not people enjoyed it and relentless "arrow in the knee" jokes, or ones discussing what mods people were using and the load order.

well no offense, bethesda is universally known to be bug ridden, i have yet to buy a single game of theirs that wasn't that way and i don't see them changing anytime soon..and you probably could've taken it right back with receipt in hand i'm sure, if you were that thoroughly disappointed with the 60 bucks spent on the game, i've had friends do it multiple times with COD/Dungeon Siege/Dragon age II, got every cent back.
Why would I be offended? You're not putting down the work I produce, you're saying that the people at Bethesda are technically incompetent. I don't take offence to that; I agree. The bozos at Bethesda should be offended but they obviously said goodbye to their integrity a long time ago.
When your wife asks if we should get the new Bethesda game for the ps3, you swiftly learn to do your research. That's why i know you only had to Search Skyrim ps3.
It's funny because I have actually gotten used to what Bethesda considers standards for the consoles(in the sense that I know what to expect. not that I find it acceptable), what disturbs me is that so many other games seem to be okay with it. It's nice to be understanding and everything but it's only led to them being more and more lax with QC.
I just hope gamers don't intend on shopping for cars or real estate because if they take the same kind of attitude they use to shop for games, they'll get robbed blind.

Good point on making a return but unfortunately some games gradually de-volve over the course of a month or two (depending on how much time one has to play) and by that time the retailer is not likely to take a return. Maybe the game industry needs a lemon law.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I doubt it. For starters, pretty much every Bethesda game has been buggy as hell (not that I've experienced many bugs myself). Speaking for myself, I'm not going to see TESVI, think 'Jesus christ, that looks awesome! But I'm not going to get it because it might be buggy.'

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Ran into lots of funny glitches in Skyrim (corpses flying around for no reason, giant-assisted orbital launches, etc) and a couple of quest-breakers, but nothing that totally broke the game for me. I'm sure I'm with most of the fan base for Skyrim in agreeing that the game's overall quality more than made up for its glitches. Also, as glitchy as it was, it was still less glitchy than Bethesda's previous games, showing an overall sign of improvement.

So I basically come to the conclusion that I'm definitely getting Bethesda's next game.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I'm "only" 40 hours in but the only real bugs I encountered were those:
-an npc got stuck, had to "push" him to the next waypoint (4-5 times stand directly next to him so he moves one step)
-a small section of a wall switched its texture on and off several times while I walked by
-walked into/over a few things like small carts etc. that then began to fly away, spin around and bounce off things (and would normally hurt me for a miniscule amount of damage)

So... except the stuck npc, nothing wrong with that. I find it to be kinda bugfree imo.
My experience from abusing the shit out of many games (especially morrowind), is though: People mostly find glitches when actively looking for them. If you push npcs into corders or between trees, throw stuff around anywhere and make a point by trying to climb up every rock, cliff and other object that is not meant to be traversed... then you get what you deserve.

So... nope, I think it won't impact sales. Although it may decrease initial sales. I have played each of those games after at least 1 or 2 patches had been out so this probably helps. But I will most likely buy their next open world RPG (Fallout 4? what is next in their pipeline?)

poodlenoodles

Nov 17, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
Hyper-space said:
GonzoGamer said:
I will agree that the overall amount of glitches have gone down, however the ones that persist are the really annoying freezing ones that have plagued every release of this generation.
If they fixed the really annoying old problems and all new ones popped up, nobody would probably care.
The thing is, they decided to tackle the biggest issues first (such as entire features in Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind being broken), then tackle the smaller issues. They pretty much did what EVERYONE would do in their footsteps, so dunno how they could go about this any other way that wouldn't result in a lesser and more broken experience.
Honestly? All it would take for me to start buying Bethesda games again is for them to fix the chronic freezing problem (especially on the ps3). That's the big issue that stops all the fun. Weird visuals, leaping corpses, and crap like that doesn't really bother me as much because yes, in a big game weird things are going to happen; as long as those things don't force me to hard shut down the console, it's not that big a deal.
Hyper-space said:
GonzoGamer said:
I will agree that the overall amount of glitches have gone down, however the ones that persist are the really annoying freezing ones that have plagued every release of this generation.
If they fixed the really annoying old problems and all new ones popped up, nobody would probably care.
The thing is, they decided to tackle the biggest issues first (such as entire features in Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind being broken), then tackle the smaller issues. They pretty much did what EVERYONE would do in their footsteps, so dunno how they could go about this any other way that wouldn't result in a lesser and more broken experience.
Well, that's easy. They just need to make it so their games don't freeze up in the middle of play. That's what stops the fun for me: the hard shut down.
again, i haven't had any problems with freezing, but i have heard a lot of stories from people who have. i suppose that bethesda knew about the freezing issues but didn't have enough time to fix them before the release(11.11.11, it's very special you see) so they added the autosave feature, just so you wouldn't lose your progress.

poodlenoodles

Nov 17, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
Hyper-space said:
GonzoGamer said:
Honestly? All it would take for me to start buying Bethesda games again is for them to fix the chronic freezing problem (especially on the ps3). That's the big issue that stops all the fun. Weird visuals, leaping corpses, and crap like that doesn't really bother me as much because yes, in a big game weird things are going to happen; as long as those things don't force me to hard shut down the console, it's not that big a deal.
Hyper-space said:
GonzoGamer said:
Well, that's easy. They just need to make it so their games don't freeze up in the middle of play. That's what stops the fun for me: the hard shut down.
again, i haven't had any problems with freezing, but i have heard a lot of stories from people who have. i suppose that bethesda knew about the freezing issues but didn't have enough time to fix them before the release(11.11.11, it's very special you see) so they added the autosave feature, just so you wouldn't lose your progress.

geon106

Jul 15, 2009
Deludedfool said:
So far in my experience Skyrims been much less buggy than previous Bethesda (sp?) games, as long as they keep improving I see no reason not to buy their next game

This.

I've had very few bugs with Skyrim, apart from the occasional pop-in dragon skeleton etc but nothing major.

Any game as large as Skyrim is bound to have a few odd quirks and bugs. GTA IV being a prime example.

Skyrim is a superb game, far better than Oblivion imo. I will most certainly buy any expansions for Skyrim and will keep my eye open in a few years for Elder Scrolls VI

thememan

Mar 30, 2012
DustyDrB said:
TheKasp said:

In honesty, I think that the bugginess is over exaggerated. I've been playing TES from Morrowind, although the occasional really annoying bug does show up it's few and far between. There are the more common minor bugs, but rarely do these ever make any of their games unplayable. Usually having to do with the visual effects or what not not working correctly. Granted, I know nothing about the PS3 version, but on every other system the bugs I have experienced are almost always in the "meh, whatever" end of the scale. So really, I do honestly think that people over exaggerate the bugs in their games to a great extent.

thememan

Mar 30, 2012
poodlenoodles said:
Well, I have had issues with freezing, but it only seems to pop up for me after about 4~ish hours of non-stop play. And by that point I should really stop playing for a while anyway.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Huh. A quote from a topic back in February.

nikki191 said:
the construction kit is getting worse with each release and the current scripting language is a convoluted mess.

they litterally need to go back to square one and build from the ground up and either drop the ports to systems other than xbox or stop being lazy and develop proper versions.
I agree, but Bethesda doesn't. Until one of their games bombs because of the programming, I don't see them fixing anything.

as it stands the modders ive talked to are giving up on skyrim because of the construction kit and the frustration with bugs that havent been fixed in years
Yeah, this is more relevant now since the modders have had more time to get acquainted with the kit. And it's somehow become WORSE than Oblivion?

I'd like to blame the limitations of current console hardware for that. Can't imagine how many corners they had to cut to get Skyrim to run on an Xbox as it is; let alone a PS3. And those cut corners (as with Oblivion) translate into problems in the TES Kit for PC.

Ultraman1966

May 4, 2011
Skyrim is no more glitchy than Oblivion; by using the same game engine they've run into the same problems and worse. Like for example when they didn't use a proper compiler so the game engine was unoptimised (this was figured out by a smart guy on the bethesda forums).

No matter what happens their next game will sell millions...

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
it will suffer about as much as Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim did due to glitches

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Lets see

Oblivion didn't suffer because of Morrowind's glitches
Fallout 3 didn't suffer because of Oblivion's glitches
Skyrim didn't suffer because of Fallout 3's glitches

So no I dont think the next game will suffer.
Also besides the PS3 version, all I have heard about Skyrim is how surprisingly bug-free it is has been.

500+ hours in on the PC version and not a single crash-to-desktop.

Skyrim is, if anything, the most stable game Bethesda has made, and I know a lot of people who actually bought Skyrim and changed their minds on Bethesda because how stable it is.