Poll: Will Motion Gaming be around forever?

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
A few years ago. The Nintendo Wii was released and was mainly taken the piss out of by Sony/Microsoft fanboys . A few years later and they release the same tech damning us to similiar shovel ware on both platforms. It seems with it's popularity "hardcore" gamers are not going to be the top priority especially with the next generation of consoles.

Personally I think it's all gimmicks that will slow down the industry and hopefully won't be around forever. As it's mainly about money I'd say that with the recorded sales figures there will be some very happy pregnant women and children catered to in the future which I find pretty depressing.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Yes, of course. Even when society is gone, the world as we know it is destroyed, and the universe is so still that time only exists for its own sake, silently trudging on within the vast emptiness of reality, we will still be making gimmicky motion controller crap.

Real answer: It'll be a niche market in about 6 years

Sindre1

Nov 8, 2008
Games will not be around forever.
Humanity will not be around forever.

But a long time?
Sure.
Define long time.

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
hope it dies next week, sick to death of Microsoft slamming this particular dead horse with every thing it's got.

It was an ugly, useless horse anyway.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Nintendo is already (kinda) starting to abandon it. The Wii U seems like it is more geared to hardcore fans than the more casual customers. I think it was a nice expiriment, but it doesn't feel like the technology is quite "there" yet.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
I think it depends how, if u mean like how the wii does it where its the main thing, probably not, but if its like sony and microsofts copies (they were quick to jump on the bandwagon after they saw the nintendo money) where its a choice, then perhaps

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
It'l probably allways be part of gaming, but not gaming it's self.

and I'm A-OKAY with that.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I think there is some potential for motion controls. I played Ocarina of Time on the 3DS recently and you can aim by tilting the device. It is very easy and efficient, better than aiming with the analogue stick at least.

I'd say the next generation of consoles would do well to put motion sensors in the controller. I think flailing your arms around madly is for little kids, but games should let you aim by tilting the controller.

I do think the aforementioned little kids should have something to madly flail their arms around on. They seem to enjoy it.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
With things like the wii? Probably not. But know what else is motion gaming? A holodeck, and there sure as hell better be one of those around forever.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Sigh there was a poll but I guess that's been swallowed in the vast code of the infernet

the spud said:
Nintendo is already (kinda) starting to abandon it. The Wii U seems like it is more geared to hardcore fans than the more casual customers. I think it was a nice expiriment, but it doesn't feel like the technology is quite "there" yet.
Good point but I'm struggling to see Nintendo making it in that kind of market since they focused their efforts on the casual market for so many years. I don't think they can keep third party developers interested and aren't known for making "hardcore" games. Granted the gamecube had Resident Evil 4 before most platforms but it also had the usual stuff.

LilRock1976

Jun 6, 2011
I hope motion controls die sooner than later because it is just a gimmick. Take Mario Kart why do I have use the controller as a fake steering wheel when there buttons on it. Or Zelda TP, I have the Gamecube version, beat it then tried it on the Wii at a friends house and didn't enjoy it at all, it is also mirrored, MIRRORED!! It's f'n backwards. And don't get me started on touch controls, rumble shock or any other gimmick meant for the mainstream sheep to be herded by.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
It will end after we learn to jack our brains into the computer and play in our own virtual world...

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Iggy Rufflebar said:
hope it dies next week, sick to death of Microsoft slamming this particular dead horse with every thing it's got.

It was an ugly, useless horse anyway.
Agreed. Microsoft's E3 event this year was so disappointing, all they cared about was Kinect.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I don't think they'll ever completely go away. Even if motion controls do disappear for a while, considering that technology is always advancing, they'll probably make a comeback in a more advanced and innovative way than they are now.

But I doubt that they will completely take over gaming, the gaming industry wouldn't completely abandon a core audience, lest they lose a lot of money because of it.

Svenparty said:
Personally I think it's all gimmicks that will slow down the industry and hopefully won't be around forever. As it's mainly about money I'd say that with the recorded sales figures there will be some very happy pregnant women and children catered to in the future which I find pretty depressing.
Is that really such a bad thing? Most of us played games ever since we were children. So clearly the industry has been "catering to children" ever since it came around and here we are now. This really isn't a new thing. And even back then, there were still producers and developers making games that were meant for older audiences.

Also, it was ALWAYS mainly about money in the game industry. Look back at the 90's when 3D platformers such as Super Mario 64 were all the rage for most gamers. The industry used what worked at the time. And yet I don't see anyone who is complaining about how many shooters or games with motion controls there are today complaining about that time.

My point is, fads come and go. I'm sure within a few years, something new and innovative will come around and appeal to a mass market. The industry as a whole will then base their ideas on that concept and milk the ever loving hell out of it in order to make a profit. At least until something else comes along and then the whole cycle will start all over again.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't care. I just hope it's a step towards holodecks. I want holodecks in my life time. Imagine remake of your favorite games in holodecks. Imagine playing MMORPG's in holodecks. Imagine playing Deus Ex in a holodeck. Oh my god...