Poll: will you get the new xbox, if the rumors are true?

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
now we dont' have a lot of hard facts here, so this is just based upon the rumors floating around. I'm curious what people's reactions are.

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
My Reaction to the rumors are generally unfavorable, but they are rumors. I don't know how we are supposed to answer this question based on that. So with that being said:

1) The people who answer yes are fanboys who were going to buy it no matter what.
2) The people that answer no were never going to get the thing to begin with.
3) The people who are undecided are people who have their head on straight and are waiting for something official to be announced.

EDIT: The title of the thread is, "Will you get the new Xbox?" The title of poll inside the thread is, "Will you get the new Xbox if the rumors are true?" Those are two totally different circumstances. If the rumors are true, then no, I won't get it.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
We dont know anything concrete so at this time I can not say yes or no with 100% certainty. However Im leaning towards no for a few reasons. The main one being that Im a PC gamer and that means that exclusives are going to determine whether that purchase is worthwhile to me. With this current genreation I cant say purchasing a Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 were worth it so I have no plans to pick up the next generation of consoles unless there are a large variety of exclusives I want. That aside with the Razer edge tablet (a tablet that can run PC quality games like Battlefield 3 and skyrim on it at low settings), Nvidia's project shield, and quite possibly the steambox I'll be able to play PC games in my living room, away from my PC on a handheld or on my living room TV. With those three tools I really dont see a reason to pick up any console besides exclusives

That said, Im also uncomfortable with two rumors that have spread about the new xbox. The first one being the built in kinect needing to always scan my living room and everything in it to play any game.

The second being that the console will always be online. Both Simcity and Diablo 3 showed us how awful always online games tend to be, applying that to a console is going to be even worse. I do not have confidence in microsoft (really I dont have confidence in any company) to have their servers working up to par when the thing is released.

captcha: one hit wonder

Yes that seems about right for the xbox captcha. The first one wasnt all that amazing, this one was good, but this next one is looking like an awful idea

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
alphamalet said:
My Reaction to the rumors are generally unfavorable, but they are rumors. I don't know how we are supposed to answer this question based on that. So with that being said:

1) The people who answer yes are fanboys who were going to buy it no matter what.
2) The people that answer no were never going to get the thing to begin with.
3) The people who are undecided are people who have their head on straight and are waiting for something official to be announced.

EDIT: The title of the thread is, "Will you get the new Xbox?" The title of poll inside the thread is, "Will you get the new Xbox if the rumors are true?" Those are two totally different circumstances. If the rumors are true, then no, I won't get it.
ah good point, I've since fixed teh title, thank you for pointing that out to me.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
I only picked up a Red Ring of Death XBox to play Alan Wake, so no I will definitely not be going for the XBox dizzy, or whatever it will be called. Hopefully consumers will be making Microsoft pay for the hardware travesty they committed on the tech world with the XBox 360, but seeing as some have picked up more than one even though Microsoft burned them once already I don't see this happening sadly. Anyway with this data surfacing even though it is speculation, I am not even sure I will grab the new Sony offering.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I won't be getting it whether the rumors are true or not. Not after Microsoft's employment of planned obsolescence with the Xbox 360's red ring of death and their defilement of what a gaming console should be about[footnote]A machine streamlined with the sole purpose of conveniently playing games.[/footnote].

I am always going to have a PC with the capabilities of running modern games, why would I pay money for an inferior machine made by companies who treat their customers like absolute shit? You pay for their console, the online subscription fees, the ludicrous game, accessories and DLC prices and they just slap you in the face for it. The exclusive titles are not worth it.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
If the always-online rumors are true then I definitely will not be getting it at launch, for obvious reasons. So it will just be one of those 'down the line when the exclusives outweigh the cost of the system' things for me. Which is what the PS3 was for me this generation.

So undecided at the moment, but chances are I will get one at some point, even if it's much later in the life-cycle.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I won't get it even if they're not. Microsoft has to pull off something really freakin' spectacular to make me excited because right now I'm excited for PS4. Everything about it makes me feel nostalgic. I see it as a true successor to the almighty PS2. Also, Sony doesn't charge you for online services unless you want that PSN+ which is really awesome. I assume that won't change with the PS4. And Sony generally tends to have better exclusives. What does Microsoft have besides Gears of War and Halo?

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
If the rumours aren't true: No.
If the rumours are true: FUCK NO. FUCKING FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCKITTY FUCKWIZZLE HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK NO.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Only if it has good games, really good games! I'm more interested in PS4 lineup, because as of late, Xbox exclusives seem to have disappear while Ps3 still has some interesting upcoming games.

If DRM really depends on the publisher, however, I sincerely hope no one would take that risk and inconvenience their customers.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
No, and i don't even care if the rumours are true or not. I want a new PC instead. I'm sick of all the bulshit you get with the xbox these days, and from what i understand it's only going to get worse in the next gen.

Why do i have to have gold to use netflix on my x-Box? Why if i pay for live do you put ads on every page and also why do you keep pestering me to buy gold when i already have it? Why are you dropping my connection when it's clearly nothing to do with my internet[footnote]DL 20.47 mb/s upload 1.12mb/s...and i never have issues with it on my laptop[/footnote]? Why are you taking over 8 minutes to access a playlist on a USB stick[footnote]and no it's not the sticks...i have tried multiple sizes and brands and the xbox is equally as shit at reading from them all[/footnote]?

At least when you have issues with a PC you can 9 out of 10 times find a fix for it fairly quickly and a PC doesn't pretend to be a media hub and then suck at the job.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I said 'no' and I'm close to starting up a bet with my circle of friends based on which of the rumors turn out to be confirmed. Anyway, if the thing is always online then I want nothing to do with it. If it's always online but the developers can decide on always online or a one-time code that you have to enter...also no. Subscription model is not a big deal since I can just not buy that one model. I have an Xbox and a 360 and I like playing with them on my own terms. I love my Xbox because it's the only way I can play Mech Assault, Crimson Skies and, Otogi.

I can't maintain a constant connection so I'm basically screwed. I don't think I have anything to worry about though unless they decide to let Rare make new Battletoads, Banjo-Kazooie and, Killer Instinct exclusives. Really there are a ton of exclusives from the Xbox that I would love to see make a come-back but I don't see it happening.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Obviously still waiting but if the rumours are true then definitely not I have put up with enough shit from them this gen with red lights of death and additional fees to go online and actually play with my friends.

If the rumours are unfounded I may get one but then its all down to the games as usual but if its always online has additional online fees again and locks the game to your system then they could release the best game in the world on it for all I care I still wouldnt get it.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Let's assume all the rumors are true. I wouldn't get it based on the facts. With Microsoft Game Studio being very quiet, I expect little out of the launch lineup besides ports and indie tier games. Their two big hitters, Halo and Gears of War, just got new releases rather recently, so I don't see those making an appearance. Unless they've amassed some bad ass internal studios and third party support over this downtime, not a fuckin' chance.

Not to mention the exorbitant cost of Live despite it still including ads out the ass. Also the focus on "center of the living room social media convergence center" bullshit turns me right off. What games do you have, what's going to change about how I play them, and how much is put in between me and playing the games...that's all I need to know.

I can't in good faith trust their ability to do proper R&D on the launch SKUs either. I'm one of those dumb shits who is on their fourth 360 (could have gotten a new gaming PC much earlier than I did...), and I'd have to at least wait it out and see if they survive people having the gall to play games on it.

I never used the Kinect, and ended up selling it. The only reason I would want the new one is to mess with it on the PC, and that's not enough to buy the whole system.

Sprinkle on even one of the rumors being true, and I file a restraining order against the thing.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I wasn't planning on getting one anyway, this Always-On nonsense simply clinches it. The only reason I still occasionally swith on my 360 is because of the Orange Box and Mass Effect.

I'll probably get a PS4 and further down the road I might get a WiiU.

MrBenSampson

Oct 8, 2011
If any of the rumours turn out to be true, I'll take my money elsewhere. Not being able to play used games would make it very difficult(and expensive) to get my hands on games that have been out of print for several years. The always online nonsense would put an artificial lifespan on my collection. It sounds like they're getting rid of every benefit that a console should be providing. I would just stick to current gen and retro gaming. In a few years, I might consider investing in a powerful PC.