Poll: Wonder Woman was not a good movie in any way

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Epyc Wynn said:
Again, why are you people bashing the movie but not giving corresponding ratings in the polls? More than 33% of you have given a perfect score to this wretchedly boring 1.5 star film.
Do the math - 25 people (at this time of writing) have given it 4/4, whereas only a fraction of that number have posted. Not everyone who votes is going to post.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Epyc Wynn said:
Again, why are you people bashing the movie but not giving corresponding ratings in the polls? More than 33% of you have given a perfect score to this wretchedly boring 1.5 star film.
My current theory is that what you see is the result of a legion of alternate sock-puppet accounts that are being created to undermine your review.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Wonder Woman was aggressively average. Some movies aim for the stars and miss. This one aimed for the ground and stuck the landing. It was very safe and very textbook. The only things even mildly interesting were the fight scenes that featured the lasso, as A) they weren't fucked up by gratuitous slo-mo like the other fight scenes and B) they couldn't be taken from a textbook as I doubt any movie ever featured using a lasso at this level of choreography, ergo innovation was forced upon them. Does make me think that the directing team possessed the *ability* to make a good movie, but were hopelessly hamstrung by the DCEU producers.

Far Star

Jul 23, 2017
Epyc Wynn said:
Far Star said:
It was good. I don't know how I would put it numerically. About on par with the first Captain America movie I would say. I do think people are overlay generous because it's the first female lead superhero movie that wasn't ass. That however is a good problem to have.
Well, I guess this thread was due for the "something something female lead" argument. The movie was ass and the female lead had no character development. Anyone here remember a point where they were like "wow Wonder Woman's character was just taken to a whole new level" because I don't.
I didn't mean it as an argument I meant it as a criticism , but ok. An understandable criticism, but still a criticism.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Oh, and the big moral lesson. "It's not about what you deserve; it's about what you believe in". That's darling, pumpkin, BUT WHAT DO YOU FRIGGIN BELIEVE IN

Argh. That bugged me so much. It's only *half* a Big Hero moment. It's the fucking climax and it's the biggest ball dropped in the movie. Gragh, just remembering about it pisses me off.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Redvenge said:
Epyc Wynn said:
My current theory is that what you see is the result of a legion of alternate sock-puppet accounts that are being created to undermine your review.
Well yeah that's a pretty big possibility. It's just, would they really still have bots/sock-puppets doing that this many weeks after the movie was released? On the other hand I suppose it would be helpful to have all the IPs of the characters that will be in the Justice League movie be seemingly well-received so...

I'm fifty-fifty on that being the case. Maybe all the people who are rating it cartoonishly high are just too shy to say why.

SupahEwok said:
Oh, and the big moral lesson. "It's not about what you deserve; it's about what you believe in". That's darling, pumpkin, BUT WHAT DO YOU FRIGGIN BELIEVE IN

Argh. That bugged me so much. It's only *half* a Big Hero moment. It's the fucking climax and it's the biggest ball dropped in the movie. Gragh, just remembering about it pisses me off.
There was not a point in the movie that I didn't think this was being targeted toward little girls; except maybe the part where the guy committed suicide. With that in mind that ending makes perfect sense because it feels like some ditzy vague thing you would say to please an eleven-year-old girl.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
SupahEwok said:

She explains that about two scenes later:

I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind. But then, I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. I learned that inside every one of them, there will always be both. The choice each must make for themselves - something no hero will ever defeat. I've touched the darkness that lives in between the light. Seen the worst of this world, and the best. Seen the terrible things men do to each other in the name of hatred, and the lengths they'll go to for love. Now I know. Only love can save this world. So I stay. I fight, and I give... for the world I know can be. This is my mission, now. Forever.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Gordon_4 said:
SupahEwok said:

She explains that about two scenes later:

I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind. But then, I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. I learned that inside every one of them, there will always be both. The choice each must make for themselves - something no hero will ever defeat. I've touched the darkness that lives in between the light. Seen the worst of this world, and the best. Seen the terrible things men do to each other in the name of hatred, and the lengths they'll go to for love. Now I know. Only love can save this world. So I stay. I fight, and I give... for the world I know can be. This is my mission, now. Forever.
That's even worse it's just a cop-out "love can save this world" meme.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I thought it was fine. It wasn't groundbreaking or new, but if I expected that from every show I might as well throw away my TV. It's just light entertainment - a decent action flick with a couple of explosions and some snazzy (though not always very good) special effects.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Great film. Better then every marvel film ever made.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
Epyc Wynn said:
Well yeah that's a pretty big possibility. It's just, would they really still have bots/sock-puppets doing that this many weeks after the movie was released? On the other hand I suppose it would be helpful to have all the IPs of the characters that will be in the Justice League movie be seemingly well-received so...

I'm fifty-fifty on that being the case. Maybe all the people who are rating it cartoonishly high are just too shy to say why.
We live in a time that the narrative MUST be maintained at all costs. I doubt those pushing the narrative will rest even after years have past. I'm certain you have seen examples of groups or individuals who are unrelenting in their views.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Epyc Wynn said:
Maybe all the people who are rating it cartoonishly high are just too shy to say why.
Maybe people who have simply don't feel the need to actually explain why as people who like something instead of hate it typically don't or maybe they simply recognize this is one of those "let's whine about something that we hate that everybody else likes very likely for reasons that are petty if not made up" threads and thus don't want to bother to explain themselves to a bunch of people who aren't going to listen anyway just to get ridiculed for it.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I gave it on this scale a solid 3/4. A decently acted, entertaining, if not terribly inspired popcorn flick. I got about what I was hoping to get and was satisfied with that.

DC gets a pass on "getting the Greek gods wrong" simply because they were using the interpretation used by the comics. The Norse Gods are all fucked up in Marvel's Thor too and I don't too much whinging over that. And for good reason. One mythological element and system was adapted to fit in with another. And make no mistake. Superheroes are essentially modern realizations of old school mythology. If an acquaintance of mine can write a thesis to that effect and not be laughed out of uni than the idea has some merit. Over all I find it an odd thing to complain about in this case.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
immortalfrieza said:
Epyc Wynn said:
Maybe all the people who are rating it cartoonishly high are just too shy to say why.
Maybe people who have simply don't feel the need to actually explain why as people who like something instead of hate it typically don't or maybe they simply recognize this is one of those "let's whine about something that we hate that everybody else likes very likely for reasons that are petty if not made up" threads and thus don't want to bother to explain themselves to a bunch of people who aren't going to listen anyway just to get ridiculed for it.
See, that would make sense, if they were in a minority. If they are in majority then they would have nothing to worry about. This site is about gaming so it is not as if we have a strong bias against the movie. Unless you are arguing Yahtzee's negativity toward games has rubbed off on all of us in which case you might have somewhat of a point.

jklinders said:
I gave it on this scale a solid 3/4. A decently acted, entertaining, if not terribly inspired popcorn flick. I got about what I was hoping to get and was satisfied with that.

DC gets a pass on "getting the Greek gods wrong" simply because they were using the interpretation used by the comics. The Norse Gods are all fucked up in Marvel's Thor too and I don't too much whinging over that. And for good reason. One mythological element and system was adapted to fit in with another. And make no mistake. Superheroes are essentially modern realizations of old school mythology. If an acquaintance of mine can write a thesis to that effect and not be laughed out of uni than the idea has some merit. Over all I find it an odd thing to complain about in this case.
Thor actually went out of its way to display actual things and places from the mythology and got the general hierarchy right as well as how certain gods from the mythology might act. Wonder Woman called one ruling god Zeus and another god Ares the God of War and that is the full extent of how accurately Greek mythos was portrayed. One movie used a pantheon with respect and interesting creative takes; the other appropriated some names for shock value and did nothing further beyond making Ares the flattest most generic possible design they could manage.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Epyc Wynn said:
See, that would make sense, if they were in a minority. If they are in majority then they would have nothing to worry about. This site is about gaming so it is not as if we have a strong bias against the movie. Unless you are arguing Yahtzee's negativity toward games has rubbed off on all of us in which case you might have somewhat of a point.
Oh come on, seriously? If you honestly believe that you haven't been on the internet long. With a title like "Wonder Woman was not a good movie in any way" and your subsequent starting post you can't honestly tell me that this thread exists for any other reason than to attract the hater minority for that film around the Escapist so they can all whine and complain about it while putting down anybody who says they like it. It's like some Star Wars or Lord of the Rings or some other wildly popular thing hater website, hardly anybody who actually likes those things is going to go to such a website and bother to try to defend those things there, anybody with half a brain cell would see it's pointless. Being in the majority and even unambiguously right doesn't protect people from ridicule in places like this thread at all.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Epyc Wynn said:
immortalfrieza said:
Epyc Wynn said:

jklinders said:

Thor actually went out of its way to display actual things and places from the mythology and got the general hierarchy right as well as how certain gods from the mythology might act. Wonder Woman called one ruling god Zeus and another god Ares the God of War and that is the full extent of how accurately Greek mythos was portrayed. One movie used a pantheon with respect and interesting creative takes; the other appropriated some names for shock value and did nothing further beyond making Ares the flattest most generic possible design they could manage.
Thor and Thor the Dark World both went out of their way to portray Odin, the Norse God of Wisdom among more than a few other things as an incompetent doddering old fuck who was so pants on head stupid that Loki had free reign to do whatever in the first movie and Asgard got razed in the second. So forgive me if I feel as if Marvel fucked the dog pretty fucking badly on portraying the Norse pantheon. That was far from only fuck ups but you are better off spending a bit of time looking at it from a scolarly perspective from those who have studied it more than either of us. I recommend the Youtuber Overly Sarcastic Productions as a starting point.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Oh for gods sake, first we had all those people crying about how RT is biased against WB/DC cause "Waah waah Disney/Marvel waah" but now we're going to have to put up with people crying that RT is biased cause "waah waah DC/SJW's waah". Can people not just come to terms that sometimes your tastes don't always match up with the rest of the public? I didn't like Skyrim, doesn't mean everyone who liked that game are idiots or corrupt.

Oh, and Wynn, I'd imagine the reason that the people who gave the score 4/4 aren't commenting is probably because you started by saying "WW is not good in any way", and have shown no interest in seeing this from someone else's perspective. Surprisingly, some people aren't inclined to join threads that look to be the same old pointless grumbling.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Was it a good movie? No not especially what it was was competent there was no part of the movie itself that was stupid or offence theere were even one or two parts that could have been actually called decent (the warehouse fight for example, it seems that's the DCEU thing now, good warehouse fights!) and frankly when it comes to the DCEU that fact alone seemed to elevate the movie to some great height that if it had been judged as a typical movie or had been an MCU movie chances are it would not have been judged quite as favourably.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Epyc Wynn said:
That's even worse it's just a cop-out "love can save this world" meme.
Maybe, but comic book heroes tend to deal in platitudes. Further, the whole movie sets up that Wonder Woman can choose to ignore mankind's suffering once Ares is defeated. She can just go home and just hang out with her immortal lady-bros (bras?) and leave people to their misery and let humanity succumb to its' own darkness. She doesn't, because her act of love is that she sacrifices what she deserves (a blissful life with lady-bros) because of what she believes in. Wonder Woman's moral message is thus not "love saves the world" but rather "you have to sacrifice for the things you believe in".

On a meta-level Wonder Woman also contrasts with the DC heroes in the other films, who are all pragmatical, with moral shades of gray (or black, if you look at Suicide Squad) and who are fighting for selfish reasons (Batman, Suicide Squad) or are morally compromised (Superman). Wonder Woman is their foil, in that she fights purely out of her own conviction that mankind is worth saving for its' inherent good. This contrast with the previous DCEU films is intentional, as it sets Wonder Woman up as the moral compass of Justice League, a characterization that was already hinted at in Batman vs Superman.