Poll: Wonder Woman was not a good movie in any way

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
I felt like I was taking crazy pills reading the reviews when this movie came out. I thought "wow, either there is widespread corruption on Rotten Tomatoes or critics have an insane love of feminism". The movie was an uninspired mish-mash of Thor and Captain America. Their usage of Greek mythology wasn't remotely accurate and only got the names right; it's one thing to have a creative take on things but it's another thing to only be getting the names right and nothing else. I was bored the full way through and wouldn't have stayed if it weren't for my family being there with me. No other supporting character was memorable or particularly compelling. The old man randomly being the God of War had no shock value because it flat-out had no decent foreshadowing or a feeling of "this makes sense". There was nothing, and I mean NOTHING innovative about this movie. It was just a showcase of DC weapons and an iconic comic character as part of a build-up for the upcoming Justice League film because nobody cares about being an unoriginal Marvel movies ripoff anymore and apparently we still have yet to grow sick and tired of the same old superhero movies. The villains and heroes were entirely flat with no depth of character or unique life philosophy backing any of them. Even when the main hero and love interest dies, I felt nothing because I genuinely did not care about the hero because he lacked depth and significance. Compared to any modern Marvel movie, this movie was sub-par. Compared to previous contemporary DC movies, this movie was sub-par. I cannot say this movie had anything going for it beyond the money spent on special effects and even then none of them showcased anything out of the ordinary. This was a movie worthy of a 1.5 out of 4 star rating and instead got rave reviews from people who are somehow considered critics.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So...you didn't like it? Okay.

I enjoyed it. I do not think it is as amazing as so many others have said, but I don't feel like I wasted my time or anything. And I think Gadot did an amazing job as Wonder Woman, and I can see why this was such a huge deal to so many fans, and so many women and girls.
I think you have some valid points, but you're also coming across as kind of the person who is spitting venom because everyone else liked something you didn't.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I saw it - gave it 3/5, or by this scale, 2.5/4. I really didn't like or dislike it enough to feel compelled to go in-depth. Probably the best DCEU movie, and better than most MCU movies, but both of those are low bars to surpass.

As for the "critics are out of touch" argument, that's an argument that only comes up when people disagree with critics. Personally, I have no idea how something like Dunkirk is rated so highly, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Epyc Wynn

Disobey unethical rules.
Mar 1, 2012
Sniper Team 4 said:
So...you didn't like it? Okay.

I enjoyed it. I do not think it is as amazing as so many others have said, but I don't feel like I wasted my time or anything. And I think Gadot did an amazing job as Wonder Woman, and I can see why this was such a huge deal to so many fans, and so many women and girls.
I think you have some valid points, but you're also coming across as kind of the person who is spitting venom because everyone else liked something you didn't.
I would be content with everyone loving the movie. But if the critics aren't criticizing such a flawed piece, then they have earned venom for not doing their job.

Anyone here remember something breath-taking about the core plot? Anything really innovative blow any of you away? What quote really just hit home with some of you? I imagine all of you will have difficulty answering those questions because this movie doesn't deliver. If any of you want to, just Google for the answers; good luck finding any to feel confident in.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I don't think it was as good as people or say or even as good as I thought it was, but it's no pre-MCU level movie. Best DCEU so far for sure, though that's not saying much.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
It is certainly the best film that the post-Nolan DC has put out, but that really isn't saying much. When youre up against titles such as Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice, and the apparent Oscar-winning Suicide Squad - all of which have been critically panned by just about everybody, with eyes, ears, or just about any sensory system - it is certainly easy to be seen as a shining gem amongst the rest.

I liked Gal Godot and Chris Pine in their respective roles, though the love between them was very forced. The General and the Chemist Lady were servicable, and the main Villain was absolutely laughable in their casting choice. The twist that the General wasn't actually Aries could be seen from a mile away, but the red herring of the General suddenly going on about Greek mythology without having anything to do with Aries was a terrible coincidence, and horribly written misdirect. The action was okay, but the real winners were the costumes.

Frankly, I wasn't too impressed. Average at best.

I cannot wait to see how DC screws up Justice League. That film is trying to do what Marvel did with the Avengers, but only by putting in half the effort. Frankly, I cannot see how the film will fare any better than Spider-Man 3, or Amazing Spider-Man 2 by trying to introduce too many characters in a single film. I think we should have definitely seen a Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg film before they even considered the teamup, because now, too much of the run time will be dedicated to establishing these characters, and I just can't see how it can come out of that as a good film.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Hawki said:
I saw it - gave it 3/5, or by this scale, 2.5/4. I really didn't like or dislike it enough to feel compelled to go in-depth. Probably the best DCEU movie, and better than most MCU movies, but both of those are low bars to surpass.

As for the "critics are out of touch" argument, that's an argument that only comes up when people disagree with critics. Personally, I have no idea how something like Dunkirk is rated so highly, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
I agree with these scores. I would add, good not great.

I don't think critics have ever worried about what other people think. I don't know if they should. Put out your review and I'll use it as a basis whether your taste match mine and are viable for usage in the future.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Laggyteabag said:
The twist that the General wasn't actually Aries could be seen from a mile away, but the red herring of the General suddenly going on about Greek mythology without having anything to do with Aries was a terrible coincidence, and horribly written misdirect.

This was my biggest problem. So many scenes and ideas that were a complete waste due to the "twist".

I cannot wait to see how DC screws up Justice League. That film is trying to do what Marvel did with the Avengers, but only by putting in half the effort. Frankly, I cannot see how the film will fare any better than Spider-Man 3, or Amazing Spider-Man 2 by trying to introduce too many characters in a single film. I think we should have definitely seen a Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg film before they even considered the teamup, because now, too much of the run time will be dedicated to establishing these characters, and I just can't see how it can come out of that as a good film.
You might think they're rushing JL, but they're actually doing fucking Flashpoint for the first Goddamn Flash movie. They need to stop shoving in their beloved classic comic stories into their fledgling universe. Especially ones that almost completely relied on the reader having loved these characters for a long time.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
It was a great and innovative movie because it was the first movie with a strong female lead, as well as the first female-led superhero movie[footnote]Yes, I know neither of those statements are true[/footnote].

Anyway, Wonder Woman was pretty meh. Don't remember much of it to be honest, which is of course the hallmark of any great movie. No lines of dialogue, none of the supporting characters except the PTSD sniper (tho not his name), none of the action scenes save the 'knock aside mortar shell with shield'. Chris Pine was entirely forgetabble. Can't even remember his character's name. Same goes for the villains like old dude Ares, nazi general dude and the female Dr Mengele expy. Tho Gal Gadot did a pretty good job IMO. A nice mixture between Endearingly innocent and naive and go-getter badass when she needs to be. Also, her face is not locked into an eternal brooding scowl like Supes and Batsy.

It distracted me well enough that I didn't zone out during its runtime. That's the best compliment I can give it.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I saw it with friends, we had a good giggle laughing at liberal dialectics.

I give it 2 stars because it was mildly entertaining but also stupid.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I agree in the sense that I thought this movie was way to safe and average.

And yet this is what people wants DC heroes to be because "that is how they are in the comics and that is how Marvel is doing it right :p"

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
It is not flawless (personally, I could have end up without half the moments with Ares), but it is, by far, the best thing DC has put in films since The Dark Knight (and yes, I am counting most animated too). It wasn't only about the female protagonist not being a Mary Sue, the chemistry between her and her supporting cast feeling more genuine than anything else in DCEU (Lois and Clark has as much chemistry as a pair of rocks) and not being over reliant in breaking the fourth wall to point out she was a woman; it was also the first DC movie I have seen (since Donner's Superman) when the superhero is works as a source of inspiration.

It is a common simplification that DC heroes are about godlike creatures that inspire mankind to rise up, while Marvel is about human creatures first and their arcs are about rising up above their limits; but for the last years, DC has been chasing this dour and grim tone about how every character has to be broken, angsty and cursed by their powers, and every story has to be Dark Knight Returns. It was almost cliche jokes (but not inaccurate) to point out that Captain America was closer to Superman than Superman, and Superman was so tormented that when they have to contrast it with Batman, they had to dial his sociopathy up to 11.

Honestly, I was growing tired of it. Wonder Woman was not a perfect movie, but it gave me hope someone is this bonfire we call the DCEU knows what she is doing.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Epyc Wynn said:
I would be content with everyone loving the movie. But if the critics aren't criticizing such a flawed piece, then they have earned venom for not doing their job.
The problem with the "one sane man" argument is that it's far more likely that differences of opinion exist rather than you (or anyone) having the one key insight - I have no idea why critics keep ranking MCU movies so high for example. To use a more extreme example, I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is a piece of drek that pales in comparison to the novel it was based on, but I can accept I'm in the minority there.

Laggyteabag said:
It is certainly the best film that the post-Nolan DC has put out, but that really isn't saying much. When youre up against titles such as Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice, and the apparent Oscar-winning Suicide Squad - all of which have been critically panned by just about everybody, with eyes, ears, or just about any sensory system - it is certainly easy to be seen as a shining gem amongst the rest.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel/

Yep. People really hated Man of Steel there...

Samtemdo8 said:
I agree in the sense that I thought this movie was way to safe and average.
There is a point to be had there - of all the DCEU movies, this is easily the 'safest' one.

Still, I found it far more refreshing than the MCU counterparts - WW is effective a mix of Thor (Greek/Norse mythology mixed with a fish out of water story) and Captain America (WWI vs. WWII), but it's still above both of them. I mean, it says a lot that Ares, a literal god whose motivations are "I want to wipe out humanity because it sucks" is still a more nuanced villain than Red Skull ("I want to take over the world because...I'm evil?") Also helps that Diana has a character arc whereas Steve starts out as a boy scout and ends as one.

End of the day, as dim as my view on the MCU is, it's a formula that's at least worked. The MCU has given me three genuinely good movies, whereas the DCEU has given me no good movies and one bad one.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I liked it. It got way more publicity for the "you go girl!" factor than for its merits, but its merits were pretty dang solid.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
It's one of those cases of a very well made film about reasonably uninteresting things. Everyone who was involved in putting the film together did a commendable job, but they ultimately couldn't do anything to fix the screenplay. I didn't dislike it, but I do feel the cast and crew deserved better material to work with.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
Epyc Wynn said:
I thought "wow, either there is widespread corruption on Rotten Tomatoes or critics have an insane love of feminism".
Professional critics and journalists, giving pieces good ratings based on ideology instead of actual artistic merit? Surely you must have your tinfoil hat on too tight, my friend; never, ever has that happened.

As to the specific case of Wonder Woman, though, I couldn't possibly comment. I've read enough superhero comics in my life to be entirely sick of the whole genre regardless of medium, and Wonder Woman, in particular, is one whose popularity has always baffled me, her only real claim to fame being "the female superhero everyone remembers for no particular reason" (I mean, she wasn't even the first [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantomah]).

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This sounds too much like Epic Wynn being Epic Wynn, seemingly saying the opposite of every review out there with little to back up the criticism. But I'll justify it with a response regardless. Smart critics start with a question, not an assumption. The same rule applies to opinion-based forum topics and especially polls. If you go into a movie thinking you're going to hate it, you'll be livid throughout. This was a good origin movie. Origin movies are rarely great and this one was good. It ranks slightly below Captain America, dealing with a similar time period and naive protagonist. If you're looking for a study on Greek mythology, you're going to the wrong place. This is Greek mythology seen through the lens of a comic creator out to please 10 yr olds, so accuracy just is not the point.

If I had a complaint, it's that even when Diana was facing off against a god, nothing really seemed like a challenge for her. Similar-powered characters in other comic movies nearly got beat to death before they rose up and beat the odds. Maybe this is simply the difference between DC and Marvel - Marvel enjoys exposing its heroes' flaws so that they can overcome them while DC wants its heroes to be shining beacons to the world, perfect, unerring, unquestionable. If there's no real conflict, any resolution can seem shallow and meaningless. But beyond that, this was a fun movie. Diana was a literal bombshell, shattering buildings by flying into them. This was what I wanted in a periodic superhero movie and I enjoyed it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The thing I didn't like about the movie is it was supposed to be an origin story for the callous, bitter, 4chan loving Wonder woman we got in BvS that turned her back on humanity for 80 years until Bruce told her to grow a pair and start doing what she was literally created to do.

Good. Great.

Then why didn't they give her any good reason to be so callous? Like sure, she fought in WW1. Once. Only once. And no friends died in a charge across no-mans's land. She didn't lead a do or die charge where 10,000 men died to just take a trench line 5 feet away. She didn't order the bombardment of a town with mustard gas.
She saw one town get killed, and the dude she fucked died and...and that's it. I mean for fucks sake, Aries was actually real! What a let down!

What should have happened is she becomes a leader for the allied forces, fights across The Somme and Argon, sees hundreds of thousands of young men and women die for small gains, takes pity on German forces before her friends brutally gun them down 'cause WAR, then finally get to the man she thinks is the God of War, kills him and boom. Still 2 more years of War left.
She learns that no, there is no God of War, man is determined to kill themselves, and everything she was taught as an Amazon is wrong.
There. That's the origin story for a bitter, callous Wonder Woman.
Not the dick withdrawal we saw.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
The thing I didn't like about the movie is it was supposed to be an origin story for the callous, bitter, 4chan loving Wonder woman we got in BvS that turned her back on humanity for 80 years until Bruce told her to grow a pair and start doing what she was literally created to do.

Good. Great.

Then why didn't they give her any good reason to be so callous? Like sure, she fought in WW1. Once. Only once. And no friends died in a charge across no-mans's land. She didn't lead a do or die charge where 10,000 men died to just take a trench line 5 feet away. She didn't order the bombardment of a town with mustard gas.
She saw one town get killed, and the dude she fucked died and...and that's it. I mean for fucks sake, Aries was actually real! What a let down!

What should have happened is she becomes a leader for the allied forces, fights across The Somme and Argon, sees hundreds of thousands of young men and women die for small gains, takes pity on German forces before her friends brutally gun them down 'cause WAR, then finally get to the man she thinks is the God of War, kills him and boom. Still 2 more years of War left.
She learns that no, there is no God of War, man is determined to kill themselves, and everything she was taught as an Amazon is wrong.
There. That's the origin story for a bitter, callous Wonder Woman.
Not the dick withdrawal we saw.

4chan loving?