Poll: World of Warcraft and Sexist Warlocks!

masterchevyman

May 9, 2009
I was playing WoW the other day and overheard a player talking about her succubus, for those of us who have NOT decided to give up their girlfriends, social interactions, and general hygiene (I kid, I kid), a succubus is a summoned pet for the warlock class used primarily for crowd control and Player VS Player combat. Anyway she was interested in a way to change the gender of her succubus to an incubus, promptly causing a riot of homophobic remarks and general bile I have come to associate with Alliance trade.
So I ask you fellow gamers; Is there anything wrong with female gamers wanting their own "eyecandy"? I don't think so, it would be a nice (and rather comic) change of pace to be in a Battle Ground and see those little hearts from the Succubus stun coming from a pet that resembles Jacob from Mass Effect Two.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
No, there's nothing wrong with it. But it probably won't happen as, to my knowledge, Incubi don't exist in warcraft. Also, they're rapist demons and it's a family game.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
StBishop said:
No, there's nothing wrong with it. But it probably won't happen as, to my knowledge, Incubi don't exist in warcraft. Also, they're rapist demons and it's a family game.
I wouldn't exactly describe the whip-cracking, self spanking Succubus as 'family friendly'...

OT: Sure, why not.

Edit: Curiously enough City of Heroes goes the other way - and has never allowed its pet class, the Mastermind, to have any female minions, allegedly to prevent Pimp PCs and such like.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
I don't really see the point. The function the succubus fills, IE crowd control via seduction is filled by the succubus, not the incubus. The standing theory is that incubi is actually the Dreadlords.

/lorerant

And from a technical standpoint it would add extra work for Blizzard to do, a model, texture and some kind of menu to choose the sex of your demonic minion. Compare the character models for the vanilla races compared to the newer ones, there is a clear difference in quality, and if Blizz is to lazy or don't have time to update that, I wouldn't expect a purely cosmetic change to only one of the many pets in the game.

Edit: That said, at least blizzard stopped making "plate-bikinis" for female armors, so you never know, provided that enough people complain about it, something I highly doubt.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
I didn't realise that the demonic planes had an equal opportunities platform.

But ah, if you want to complain that women have chainmail bikini's and men have big thick burly armour FOR THE SAME PIECES, then I'll agree entirely with that.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I haven't heard of Incubi in Warcraft so no. There's nothing wrong with wanting to choose the gender of your pet but there's lore in the game so it only makes sense that you can't.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I find the succubus as disturbing as I would an incubus, if you know your mythology you know they are both rapists. Yes, a "woman" having sex with a sleeping man is just as much rape as a man having sex with a sleeping woman, anyone who says different is a freaking moron.

The reason they get away with having a succubus in game is the disturbing tendency in western culture to view female on male rape as far less evil then male on female rape, just thinking about the reactions people have to student / teacher relationships?

30 year old male teacher has sex with a 15 year old girl? There are cries to string him up by his balls.

30 year old female teacher has sex with a 15 year old boy? Everyone is patting the boy on the back and "wink wink nudge nudge" the woman, wondering why the evil ***** lost her job.

Sexual abuse is a crime, no matter who is doing it to who, and one of the most evil acts that happens in the world. I'm usually okay with video games dealing with sensitive issues, but I've always been bothered by the succubus in WoW.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Danzaivar said:

But ah, if you want to complain that women have chainmail bikini's and men have big thick burly armour FOR THE SAME PIECES, then I'll agree entirely with that.
Read my edit. They stopped doing that (mostly) in Wrath of the Lich King, bar some bare midriff here and there, which can be hidden by a shirt or a tabard. And I'm glad they stopped doing crap like Warrior's Embrace.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=10845

tkioz said:
I wholeheartedly agree, but wow's version is a lot tamer doing nothing more than blowing kisses and whipping people.

And before someone get's all worked up, I'm just stating facts, not defending the game.
WoW wouldn't have as many players as it have if it needed defending.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
tkioz said:
I find the succubus as disturbing as I would an incubus, if you know your mythology you know they are both rapists. Yes, a "woman" having sex with a sleeping man is just as much rape as a man having sex with a sleeping woman, anyone who says different is a freaking moron.

The reason they get away with having a succubus in game is the disturbing tendency in western culture to view female on male rape as far less evil then male on female rape, just thinking about the reactions people have to student / teacher relationships?

30 year old male teacher has sex with a 15 year old girl? There are cries to string him up by his balls.

30 year old female teacher has sex with a 15 year old boy? Everyone is patting the boy on the back and "wink wink nudge nudge" the woman, wondering why the evil ***** lost her job.

Sexual abuse is a crime, no matter who is doing it to who, and one of the most evil acts that happens in the world.
I've been playing Wow in one for or another for about three years now, and I can't say I've ever been raped by a succubus in the game. At least, not in a manner one could call sexual.

But seriously, these are the summoned HELLSPAWN OF WARLOCKS. Were you expecting tea and biscuits? Maybe some aged Bree to go with your vintage wine?

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
stukov961 said:
Danzaivar said:

Read my edit. They stopped doing that (mostly) in Wrath of the Lich King, bar some bare midriff here and there, which can be hidden by a shirt or a tabard. And I'm glad they stopped doing crap like Warrior's Embrace.

tkioz said:
I wholeheartedly agree, but wow's version is a lot tamer doing nothing more than blowing kisses and whipping people.

And before someone get's all worked up, I'm just stating facts, not defending the game.
They didn't flipping stop doing it then did they!

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Lore is a scapegoat in this matter.

The lore was clearly written by men, for men. Not maliciously so, but it colors perceptions. When such concepts as "succubi" and "incubi" were created, society heavily favored male interests. This is why the succubus capitalizes on the inherent sexual appetite of men, while the incubus is usually seen as raping women (who, it was held, had no appetite for sex in and of themselves).

As most heroes in mythology are men, it also stands to reason that the succubus would be the more common antagonist, which cyclically causes us to think of them first when creating new mythology because they are more common.

There is no reason at all to assume that the incubus has no place in WoW lore. It is simply the male counterpart to a particular type of female demon. That is perhaps incorrect. There is no good reason to do so, I should say.

As WoW decides to "grow up," and begins to level off traditional fantasy gender roles, I think this would actually be a very good move for them. The fact that I never even considered it as a problem really goes to show just how male-centric the lore of these sorts of things can be, and I appreciate that you brought it up in such a non-combative, constructive way!

masterchevyman said:
I was playing WoW the other day and overheard a player talking about her succubus, for those of us who have NOT decided to give up their girlfriends, social interactions, and general hygiene (I kid, I kid), a succubus is a summoned pet for the warlock class used primarily for crowd control and Player VS Player combat. Anyway she was interested in a way to change the gender of her succubus to an incubus, promptly causing a riot of homophobic remarks and general bile I have come to associate with Alliance trade.
So I ask you fellow gamers; Is there anything wrong with female gamers wanting their own "eyecandy"? I don't think so, it would be a nice (and rather comic) change of pace to be in a Battle Ground and see those little hearts from the Succubus stun coming from a pet that resembles Jacob from Mass Effect Two.

Coidzor

Apr 2, 2010
-edit- on second thought, let's not get further into that. x.x

*ahem*

As to the poll, I don't feel very strongly either way, but the argument from the current set up of the lore of the game does sway me a bit, though really it's more about the amount of effort compared to how much it pays off in the end.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
It'd be cool to have the option, and yeah, the lame excuses are lame, but really the big problem is the effort to reward ratio. There simply isn't enough incentive for Blizzard to bother with it at this point, so I don't blame them for not doing it.

It is a cool idea though.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
It may have to do with the complexity of programming two different character models that aren't necessarily tied to your character's sex (your undead male warlock may like bones too).

Additional problem would be the character model animation - after all, it's easy to make prominent female sexual characteristics without making it X-rated (T&A is OK), but how exactly would you demonstrate the virility and sexual characteristics of a male demon? I can think, but then I shudder.

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Well you know ...start texturing and modeling what's necesary, create a drop-down menu and implement it into the game then start writing more or less 100 pages of lore to explain their reasoning and dissapearance until now and you might get your wish.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Jamboxdotcom said:
-edit- removed my post so as not to derail the thread.
I saw your post before the edit and I feel I must comment if only for the edification of others, the contention that woman can not rape men is complete and utter bullshit. The idea that because a man because sexually aroused it is not rape is false is so many ways it's not funny, are you aware that between 30-40% (I forget the exact number) of female rape victims become sexually aroused during their rape? are you aware that a significant amount of female rape victims actually achieve orgasm during their rape? Does that make their rape consensual sex? of course fucking not.

Rape is not about the sexual act, rape is about the taking of power, the fact that some victims become sexually aroused, or orgasm actually makes it worse for them, they lose control over their bodies, because after all our sex drive is a biological function we have very little control over, their own bodies betray them; making the aftermath of such an attack worse.

A man can become sexually aroused against his will, a man can orgasm against his will, a man can no more control their sexual functions then a woman does.

Rape is a hideous crime, no matter who it happens too, male or female, young or old.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Danzaivar said:
stukov961 said:
Danzaivar said:

tkioz said:

They didn't flipping stop doing it then did they!
Compare a bare midriff on 1% of female chest armors to every single one looking like Warrior's Embrace. Said plate bikini doesn't even cover all of the breasts on most races females. A bare midriff on the squishy rogue is nothing compared to that.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
If there is enough demand for this request the addition to Blizzard and likely you'll see it implemented. You'll probably have to pay for it, like you have to pay to change the your race and gender, but people looking for this are probably willing to pay an extra $10-20. They may not want to, but they'll pay it.

Hell, I paid for a kung-fu panda and I don't even play the game anymore.