Poll: World of Warcraft and Sexist Warlocks!

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Let's be fair here, the WOW succubus just applies a charm for 30 secs, if there's any sexual stuff going on, 30seconds isn't enough to undo one piece of armour.

Also, are demons gendered? If so, are WOW demons gendered? I figured we were just seeing what the demon wants us to see, not its true form.

Why would a succubus learn a new male form, when it's just going to cast a magical charm anyway, it's only got the female form because men are generally easier to corrupt sexually :)

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I wonder what sex my hunter pets are...

I get what you're saying but I don't really see a point in it. The succubus is fine as it is. It does it's job by suducing people, not just men/not just women, but both.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
stukov961 said:
I don't really see the point. The function the succubus fills, IE crowd control via seduction is filled by the succubus, not the incubus. The standing theory is that incubi is actually the Dreadlords.

/lorerant

And from a technical standpoint it would add extra work for Blizzard to do, a model, texture and some kind of menu to choose the sex of your demonic minion. Compare the character models for the vanilla races compared to the newer ones, there is a clear difference in quality, and if Blizz is to lazy or don't have time to update that, I wouldn't expect a purely cosmetic change to only one of the many pets in the game.

Edit: That said, at least blizzard stopped making "plate-bikinis" for female armors, so you never know, provided that enough people complain about it, something I highly doubt.
Extra model time? You just said yourself they incubi are basically dreadlords, so why not take the dreadlord, scale the model down to that of the Succubus and be done with it? Thats like a 30 minute job for a coder.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Zenn3k said:
Extra model time? You just said yourself they incubi are basically dreadlords, so why not take the dreadlord, scale the model down to that of the Succubus and be done with it? Thats like a 30 minute job for a coder.
Because that would be silly, dreadlords are evil scheming bastards, and wouldn't suit the role at all. Chris Metzen may be good at retconning things, but dreadlords are to far away from succubi even for him to retcon.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Is there any real need? I can't see a reason to, visibly ("eye candy?" What guy even treats the succubus like that?), mythologically (such demons are technically sexless), or mechanically (a prohibitive difficulty encoding such).

Jesus Phish said:
I wonder what sex my hunter pets are...
There's actually a way to find out, I noticed. I don't know if it's still there (what with Cataclysm), but near Menethil Harbor were undead sailors who could curse you with undead appearance...but literally turning you into one of the Forsaken. Turns out I was correct in referring to my nightsaber companion as "she."

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
Look up Succubus.

You want a male demon, pester Blizzard why there isn't an Incubus available.

I don't really care about sexism when it comes to demons that were summoned by magic in a world where you fight zombies with swords and crossbows.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
There is lots of male eye candy in games n_n you just have to look for it. Personally I would rather an incubus, but I wouldn't go to war for it. It would be a nice addition to the game, they have tons already why not add it. Although if never played a game with a "hot chick" then I would be stuck playing a lot of Katamari Damacy, Tetris, and Final Fantasy X-2 Hooowa *mimes a golf swing*

P.S. Jacob was meh, sorta a butter face(errr but-his-face whatever) and I didn't like his voice. Like most fangirls I went for Garrus XD

Canus

Feb 15, 2010
Lord Honk said:
Look up Succubus.

You want a male demon, pester Blizzard why there isn't an Incubus available.
The word Incubus has been used in close to half the posts in this thread. What you said to do is what everyone is discussing doing, good job.

It can't be that hard to create an incubus model. As for fitting it into lore... just use some humility. Little announcement "hey players, when we started WoW we didn't think we'd have so many female players so we didn't take their perspective into account. Fixing that now. Female warlocks now summon incubi instead of succubi." Bam. Easy. Then just do a find and replace for all instances of the word succubus in the fiction and change it to... I dunno, sex demons? Lust demons? Make up a word for the two of them... temptati? You've made up stranger words.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
It would be awesome having an Incubus!

Even as a straight guy it would be awesome, I'll name him...Gabriel (too bad you can't name them)

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
stukov961 said:
Danzaivar said:
stukov961 said:
Danzaivar said:
I didn't realise that the demonic planes had an equal opportunities platform.

But ah, if you want to complain that women have chainmail bikini's and men have big thick burly armour FOR THE SAME PIECES, then I'll agree entirely with that.
Read my edit. They stopped doing that (mostly) in Wrath of the Lich King, bar some bare midriff here and there, which can be hidden by a shirt or a tabard. And I'm glad they stopped doing crap like Warrior's Embrace.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=10845

tkioz said:
I wholeheartedly agree, but wow's version is a lot tamer doing nothing more than blowing kisses and whipping people.

And before someone get's all worked up, I'm just stating facts, not defending the game.
WoW wouldn't have as many players as it have if it needed defending.
They didn't flipping stop doing it then did they!
Compare a bare midriff on 1% of female chest armors to every single one looking like Warrior's Embrace. Said plate bikini doesn't even cover all of the breasts on most races females. A bare midriff on the squishy rogue is nothing compared to that.
If a car that's trying to park knocks into me I don't think "Well atleast it wasn't a truck doing 70!". I ***** that the driver just hit me. Same thing here.

It doesn't even make sense. Female characters are smaller than the male ones, they should be baggy rather than slutty. If they want an armour set that's flashing the stomach then it should flash the stomach of anyone who wears it rather than just the female characters.

Alluos

Nov 7, 2010
I'm willing to bet the people that designed the succubi in warcraft are men, and as a man it is harder to perceive what may and may not exactly be sexy to women than other men (or at least, if you assume the blizz employees are mainly stereotypes). Hence why succubi are in game and incubi are not.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
Danzaivar said:
First of all chest and leg pieces in the game are skintight, on everything.
But you don't see people complaining about a plate chestpiece stretching as spandex as your character breaths.

Secondly I've seen only a handful of armors that reveal the midriff in WotLK, and at least one of those were cloth, not precisely known for it's protective value anyway.

Thirdly, all of those armors were crappy greens that you won't have for long, and there's only so much Blizz can do with only textures to have diversity.

Fourth, 95% of the time you're wearing a tabard, for the rep-rewards anyway.

Taking into account the above points, I find it a very minor issue at worst.
Add to that that I have yet to see a single item of said negative qualities in Cataclysm, I think letting Blizzard get away whit having maybe five midriff baring armors in the past expansion is pretty forgivable.
If you still think this is the biggest issue go take a look at the Worgen female dance and come back to me.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Since demons are supposed to represent everything evil and dark, it makes sense that there's a succubus who looks like an S&M Dominatrix. The other demons don't really have genders either. The imp has a male voice, but you could make an argument either way. The voidwalker is the same way. The felhound is... Well... A hound. It could be either. The big demon with a giant axe (can't remember his name) has a masculine tone, but so what? As much as I want to have gender equality in games, this doesn't seem like sexism. Both the male and female versions of warlocks have "Demon Form" and both demon forms look the same. Seems fine to me.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
StBishop said:
No, there's nothing wrong with it. But it probably won't happen as, to my knowledge, Incubi don't exist in warcraft. Also, they're rapist demons and it's a family game.
Are we talking about the same Wow, or has another one sprung up that I didnt know about?

Anyways, I say yes, partially for the lols at incubi using charm or whatever on a male orc (IDKW, but I always laugh at the thought...), and partially to be fair. I would think the incubi would look something like Illidan...

Kittenmauler

Aug 19, 2009
Should we also have the option to make Felgaurds female? This matter is so trivial, I don't even know how to comment.

Crystal Cuckoo

Jan 6, 2009
I think it shouldn't be just restricted to pets.

You should be allowed to change the gender of your character for free (by free I mean WoW money, not real world currency).

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
Danzaivar said:
stukov961 said:
Danzaivar said:
I didn't realise that the demonic planes had an equal opportunities platform.

But ah, if you want to complain that women have chainmail bikini's and men have big thick burly armour FOR THE SAME PIECES, then I'll agree entirely with that.
Read my edit. They stopped doing that (mostly) in Wrath of the Lich King, bar some bare midriff here and there, which can be hidden by a shirt or a tabard. And I'm glad they stopped doing crap like Warrior's Embrace.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=10845

tkioz said:
I wholeheartedly agree, but wow's version is a lot tamer doing nothing more than blowing kisses and whipping people.

And before someone get's all worked up, I'm just stating facts, not defending the game.
WoW wouldn't have as many players as it have if it needed defending.
They didn't flipping stop doing it then did they!
Non-issue: My male Dwarf Paladin has a bare midriff on like half the chest-plates I've gotten.