Poll: World of Warcraft Classic Announcement

Jan 19, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZyiYOzsSw

THEY ACTUALLY DID IT THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN!

Even though I am the first person on this site to mention it, I've never actually played the game myself. However, I am very aware of just how much certain factions on this wonderful site wanted it.

So, fellow Escapees, what are your thoughts on this development?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
My thoughts? Right now I'm more pissed about SC2 going F2P. But if we're talking about WoW Classic Servers, it's...fine, I guess? Don't really care, don't play WoW, just follow it for the story (and dream the dream of a Warcraft IV, but Ysera ain't giving me it). Shift the conversation to the new expansion, that might give me something to talk about.

So, yay for people who wanted it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So...yeah...

Battle for Azeroth seems to be a Mists of Pandaria-esque expansion, the idea being "okay, we need a break after Deathwing/the Burning Legion, let's get the Horde and Alliance to fight each other. Again." I think it's kind of fitting in a way, especially after the events on Argus, but still, we know that one side can't win over the other. This will probably be a bridge to an Old Gods-esque expansion.

On the other hand, dat cinematic. Figure if I'm not going to get Warcraft IV, I could imagine how it might look. And plenty of interesting tidbits there.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
Not going to touch it with a fifty foot pole. I remember how miserable almost everything in Classic was compared to modern WoW. But if nostalgia blinded fools want to be reminded how frustrating things could be, be my guest.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Well, I won't lie I'd be interested to go back and see how it worked against how I remember it working. Hell, if they open up the old Naxx40 but maybe limit the rep requirements to get in, I'll roll a warrior so I can get the Dreadnaught armour.

Other than that, I hope the folks that wanted it, will enjoy it.

Jan 19, 2016
Eh, I might check out since I never played WoW back then. No-one in my guild thinks it's something people will stay interested in for long, though.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Dint they pretty much say straight up to a fan in a Q and A session that no one wants this years ago and basically belittle him for even suggesting it?

I think its a good option for players to have even if I dont believe many will actually use it. However them doing a complete 180 on their position makes them look like a joke. I played WOW back before Burning Crusade and I had some great fun but that was because of the people I was playing with. They are no longer about so I wont be returning but I was pretty burnt out after Burning Crusade anyway.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I expect to hear a mighty thundering chorus of, "Huh. This isn't as great as I remember."

But hey, if folks want it then, well, there it is.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Maximum Bert said:
Dint they pretty much say straight up to a fan in a Q and A session that no one wants this years ago and basically belittle him for even suggesting it?
You remember correctly, uttered by the same person no less.
Obviously he's done a 180 since that infamous statement and I'm happy to see official legacy servers, but it would have been nice if he owned up to it and issued an apology of some sort.

I haven't played the game since WotLK, but this might be enough for me to come back, at least for a while. If for no other reason it'll be a boon for video game historians and archivists to preserve an approximation of the game's vanilla state.

Now if only Valve would follow suit with a certain former team based shooter-turned hat simulator...

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Ehhhh, I had my fill of Classic wow back in... well, classic WoW. Though I do miss some of the old pre-Cataclysm zones, so I'll probably drop in for some shits and giggles, maybe hit up old-school Scholomance for old times sake.

Doubt I'll do any raiding though. I had enough *fun* juggling gear to get my hit rating right so my bloody taunts wouldn't miss and wipe the raid the first time 'round.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Sure, why not. Even though I started playing WoW since Burning Crusade and probably have over 1.5k hours in it, I must say I'm a casual WoW player who only plays WoW these days whenever a new expansion hits. I'll probably still try Classic just to see how it is.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Put me in for "yeah, most people don't know what they want".

Don't get me wrong, WoWC is gonna have its adherents. Its tiny, tiny group of adherents.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
Having played WoW back in 2005, I've never understood the desire to play the "vanilla" version but I guess we'll see how people take to it. I certainly don't miss going to Ashenvale to queue for WSG or trying to gather people to finish a quest in WPL that requires a full raid. Or farming mats for 40 man raids....oh the wipes and consumables.

I was surprised at the announcement though...and SC2 going F2P...now that shocked the hell out of me.

Siyano_v1legacy

Jul 27, 2010
I have a legitimate question to all player wanting Classic server so much, what does classic had that you can't already do in the game (beside maybe some minor tweaks and details)?
1- You can stop leveling.
2- You can gather a guild to do the specific content.
3- You can now challenge yourself by doing that content.
3- Am I missing something?
Also, where do we stop? after that it will be a BC server, then a WOTLK servers?

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
Siyano said:
I have a legitimate question to all player wanting Classic server so much, what does classic had that you can't already do in the game (beside maybe some minor tweaks and details)?
1- You can stop leveling.
2- You can gather a guild to do the specific content.
3- You can now challenge yourself by doing that content.
3- Am I missing something?
Also, where do we stop? after that it will be a BC server, then a WOTLK servers?
As someone who'd prefer a time-locked server set around Wrath of the Lich King but was around for Vanilla...?

The old Azeroth is my biggest preference. Cataclysm was a bum expansion, and while changing the landscape was an alright idea, it tossed a lot of things I legitimately still enjoyed about Vanilla Azeroth out the window while doing little to really make leveling any better than it was before. Also, at least when it comes to WotLK, Naxx'ramas was removed as a 40 man Vanilla raid as an option or fun thing to do, and was implemented as a starting raid for 20. Crazy as 40 people raids can be, I've experienced them, that may be something people miss.

Vanilla WoW specifically? Some of the events ran during it are still rather unique. The Sands of Ahn'Qiraj was literally the only time alliance and horde players had to work together to progress through a massive event, and the first time in-game we saw the sides team up. I'm also hoping that this may 'fix' some of the latter pvp battles in Alterac Valley to stop them from being an utter Zerg-rush mosh pit and encourage what was actually a unique mixture of PvE and PvP content in one prolonged PvP battle. Most likely it won't though, but I can dream.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is my class preference. Retribution Paladin is my favored spec, alliance side in vanilla and Horde side once Burning Crusade touched down. Wasn't until the end of the first expansion that retribution stopped being a joke, but I loved it from the start. If we do get a time locked WotLK server though, I'll refill Death Knight so hard since that was when it was still viable and cool to run anything other than frost as a tank.

ScorpionPrince

Sep 15, 2009
I think it will be impossible to please anyone with creating a classic realm. Any quality of life change they will make and the purists will say its not real vanilla. Adding quests that were missing from vanilla (such as a cat form quest for the druids) would also piss off some people while delighting others. I'm glad i'm not the one who has to make it, that's for sure.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Not sure how it's going to sustain itself with no new content planned for it.

After players level to 60 and clear Naxx ... then what?