Poll: World of Warcraft - Warbringers

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Well, been a while since I posted anything here. But it's good to be doing it again :)

So, very recently, Blizzard Entertainment released three short animated features to help promote their latest WOW expansion, Battle for Azeroth. In it, we see three characters central to the expansion, Jaina, Sylvanas and Azshara.

Now, I adore pretty much ALL of these shorts, and I know many others do too. But, which one do you consider the BEST?

Jaina, and her guilt over the death of her father? Azshara and her distant past? Or Sylvanas, taking one of the most shocking actions in Warcraft history?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Sylvanas's is crap, and basically just reveals the whole war is over her petty hatred of the living and Arthas because she just can't fucking get over him, even after he's been defeated. And that she is super sensitive to people calling her on her shit.

Azshara's is alright, but the beginning makes her look a little too sympathetic for how much of a fucking asshole she really was.

As for Jaina's? All I can say is;

BEWARE, BEWARE THE DAUGHTER OF THE SEA!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Paragon Fury said:
As for Jaina's? All I can say is;

BEWARE, BEWARE THE DAUGHTER OF THE SEA!
And now Jaina ended up becoming Lord Admiral of all Kul'tiras, even though it was I the PC that did all the work :p

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Yea, not a big fan of the azshara one. She never gave a crap about anyone but herself. Her rejecting the old gods offer to serve under it is (but rather it kinda...serves her)....kinda accurate i think?

slyvanus is just cringe worthy, "morally grey." Although it is kinda interesting to see someone so reject what they were in the past, especially if their past self was a bona fide hero.

Jaina's was awesome. I put that song on loop.

Anyone noticing the ladies just popping everywhere this expansion? and most of them are either evil or toeing the line? I mean, a female villain is overdue, but dang there are so many now.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
I enjoyed all the warbringers, some more than others but on the whole liked all of them.

Sylvanas is admittedly on the cringey side, and really didn't bring much to the table.

Azshara was alright, and hey got to see N'Zoth and his tentacles and I love the voice they got for it

Jaina's was the best, the audio was in sync with the storytelling. Perfect song to tell that story. Actually got me to pay attention to the intro stuff in BfA and actually want to follow Jaina's storyline ( and it's a long ass storyline )

As much as I shit into Blizzard, they still do produce good stuff.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
-Jaina: The best of the bunch. Also the one that some people thought Blizzard was retconning Frozen Throne with, given the more favourable view it presents of Daelin Proudmoore in the more negative one of the orcs. Those people are...weird, to me, because it's pretty obvious (to me) that it's a Kul'Tiran sea shanty that's recounting their version of events. But that aside, everything about this short is top notch. The animation, the music, the theme, the atmosphere, etc. Course it does lead to Jaina having an OTT moment in the Siege of Lordaeron (flying ships! Magic cannons!), but in of itself, the shot is good.

-Sylvanas: The weakest of the three, but not by its own fault...mostly. Sylvanas has yet another flashback as to how Arthas killed her, and it's yet another take on events. Not utterly irreconcilable with Warcraft III, but the deviation is noticeable. But that aside, while the short is fine in of itself, it can't escape that Sylvanas is basically Garrosh 2.0 at this point, just replace Theramore with Teldrassil. And while there's been suggestions that it isn't 1:1, but so far these are just suggestions. And while this is keeping in character with Sylvanas at this point, the short can't escape the fact that it's covering old ground.

-Azshara: The middle child, even though Azshra is older than Jaina and Sylvanas combined. Anyway, this is pretty good. It has the unenviable task of having an Old God converse with Azshara directly, but also try and make it come off as all-powerful and unknowable. Like, I haven't read anything by Lovecraft, but I doubt C'thulu ever talked to a mortal directly. Still, Aszhsara isn't mortal, and it's done quite well. There's a kind of twisted irony that mere minutes/hours are being screwed over by Sargeras, she's making a pact with another devil, though is still assertive. So, it doesn't hit the same emotional highs as Jaina's short, but it's still solid all around.

So, yeah. All in all, good job. Guess we'll have to wait for the next expansion for these kinds of shorts, but they've all been pretty good so far. Wouldn't mind Blizzard's other IPs getting the same treatment (aside from Overwatch, which already does, and has more of a need for them due to the lack of in-game narrative), but I guess one has to take what they can get.