Poll: Would games be better without snipers?

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
rapidfire21 said:
Halo can do without the Sniper Rifle, it's just way too overpowered. However in most post 2008-ish FPS's, the Sniper Rifle has some huge downsides to its power. This can be made simple by eliminating crosshairs when not in scope, having an extended and realistic eye-to-scope time, and implementing blur and distance. All these force the user of the Sniper to be quite skilled in his/her field of expertise.
I agree completely. I hate it when someone runs up to me in MW2 and quick-scopes me with the M21 EBR. Nobody, and I repeat, NOBODY, can put their scope up that quickly and accurately, and then fire precisely WHILE MOVING.
However, on the other hand, sniper battles are really intense sometimes, especially if you're not sniping, and have your whole team coordinated on mics.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
xDarc said:
almostgold said:
If sniping is really ruining the FPS genre for you that much, then the FPS genre probably isnt for you. Sniper Rifles have been a staple since basically forever. You could just as easily make a case for a developers to remove shotguns entirely. Or grenades. Or -gasp- AR's.
No sir.

1) I was here first and the FPS genre did not cater to people who sat on their ass who couldn't play. Those people quit in frustration because FPS games traditionally are twitch oriented and require the player *GASP* DO TWO THINGS AT ONE TIME!!! That is to say, moving AND shooting. Which leads me to-

2) It is not the same as saying other weapons are "annoying," and should be removed. Other weapons facilitate traditional game play and require every player to contribute to eachother's experience in a round.

Try to understand the sniper as a leech of other people's free time and you will understand. Snipers sit on their ass and take pot shots at people. They don't put themselves out there, they generally do not advance the round or heat up the experience, and they require an EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF TIME TO DEAL WITH.

Snipers generally place themselves in out of the way nooks or hidey holes which require you to either A) pick up a sniper rifle and become part of the problem OR B) Take time out of your session to slowly and methodically work your way to within range of them to take them out... at which point they will quickly respawn and go back to doing the same fucking thing.

If you look at the FPS genre as a whole, at it's height compared to the low-speed, dumbed down shadow of it's former self that it is today- in the name of realism, falsely- and in the name of mass appeal and $$$, honestly... you will understand why someone who has been playing these games for years, who has developed the skills necessary and who is competitive, absolutely frowns on this specific type of behavior as it contributes nothing to everyone else and requires little of the offender.

Snipers and sniping as a rule, is wrong. It's fine that they have "their own games." But every major title has it now and it's created an entire generation of people who don't have clue 1 about a proper, balls-to-the-wall, twitch death match and nothing but their mouth to tell me they know different.
There's no such thing as a "proper" FPS. If everyone just made the same game over and over again, we'd have left at Quake Arena. If that's your thing, cool. If not, please do not try to make everything conform to your viewpoint.
And please refrain from saying that snipers "can't play", or is "wrong". It really doesn't contribute to your point at all, and just makes you look closed-minded.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
I am a sniper. Good players can usually figure out my game, in which case its mah akimbo, FMJ USP's (BlingPro FTW) against their SCAR.. I can win sometimes, but often enough I'm in the realm of screwed. However, idiots who run through the same damn cover pattern every time deserve to be shot. By me, preferably.

Its not like thanks to my Barrett I can pwn you while facing the opposite direction and reciting part of a favorite book in a separate language. It just means that I can mess you up from long range, but have limited short range capability.

for those of you can't figure that much out for yourself...
a) stay inside a building and away from windows.
b) don't QQ at me like the pansy I wish you weren't.
c) go complain to people who spam grenades before anyone else can move.

PS: I'm not against grenade launchers either, even though I don't use one myself.

Grensen

Jun 29, 2009
No snipers are good tools. Not only do they have the ability to kill someone from halfway across the map they also have an psychological aspect so when you see a comrade die to a sniper you take cover and avoid that area freeing it up for the snipers team

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Suck it up. OK? Just suck it the hell up. Seriously, you people want anything that you aren't good at fighting back against to go away. Fine you win. Then you have a game with NO challenge, and, I can tell you that it won't be fun for you. Being God in a game isn't fun because there is no driving force. The game isn't made so you can be Rambo, it's made so you can actually;y play the damn game. Seriously, I suck at FPS online but I don't complain.

No, keep snipers.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Games generally imbalance snipers quite a bit from real life.

In real life:
-Snipers will kill in one shot, but so will any other gun.
-Snipers take time to set up with bipod and all
-Snipers use expensive guns with specialized training so there can't be nearly as many of them as footsoldiers.

The things to address in games are:
The cover; Battlefield's more open maps are retarded in this aspect.
The damage; let people find cover if the sniper hit anything less than their head
The automatic-ness; many sniper rifles are automatic now, but they still have recoil that should matter more than it does.
The equality; making snipers equal to real life would imbalance them because snipers are undeniably deadly. Individual games should think through what they can do to alter the sniper and ensure he's not a game-breaker.
Camp-encouragement; objective-based games should do what they can to discourage camping in one spot for a long time, by either moving the objective constantly, or changing respawn points, etc.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
Snipers in general are fine. Too many players being snipers at the same time is boring and frustrating.

Raikov

Mar 1, 2010
Sniping is for carebears that don't want to play on even terms. Snipers want to shoot without being shot back at. Snipers are a blight on all FPS games, and fills no function at all. And snipers does not help in objective-based gameplay, no matter how much you kill. 1 guy with an AK at the front is better for the team, and it takes alot more skill to be in combat where the enemy can shoot back at you.

Sniping should be banned for all eternity.

Dr. Love

Apr 18, 2009
I think its been said many times before but when it comes down to it FPS's are a huge game of rock papper scissors as is any game with classes. every class has its advantages and disadvantages that make it unique and powerful in its own field, but limit it in others.

the sniper is badass from afar sure, but it takes quite a bit of skill to do it right and 90% of the snipers you'll ever meet completly suck and will stay rooted in one spot asking for a gernade/shotty/knife in the back. The good ones are the ones to fear, but the same could be said about any other class in any game. Including those so-called bullet hoses, might not be the most refined way of doing things, but enough stealth and intuition and they can rack up good K/D's too

I'll use MW2 as an example, I'm a mid range assault rifle kinda guy, throw on a ACOG on my ACR and I own the middle ground, but a shotty gets close and i'm screwed, if i'm stupid enough to dance in the open i'm screwed to. Likewise that sniper gets mid range he might as well as imitate christopher reeves cause he's got no chance in hell against me.

foodmaniac

Mar 2, 2010
I do hate snipers oh so much, but as long as there aren't a hideous amount of them (ie. 4+), then they're fine. They add difficulty to the opposing team, and playing one is quite challenging.

Also, if there weren't snipers, what would happen to Sniper in TF2? He would just be Urine Throwing Man.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Just find yourselves a sniper who's good at counter-sniper operations if opposition snipers are giving you a bad day.

Hell, a sniper's favourite food should be other snipers.

Sev72

Apr 13, 2009
If I get killed by a sniper its generally because I was careless. If I was careless I deserve to die. I also snipe a lot and the easiest people to kill are the careless or distracted ones. It is much easier to kill someone in the beginning of the match when they aren't aware of you then later on when they understand that running out in the open is a good way to get a bullet between the eyes.

The only problem with snipers is when everyone goes sniper, then it isn't a whole lot of fun.

Hithel

Dec 5, 2008
Snipers serve an important purpose in all teambased FPS matches. However many people playing snipers neglect the importance of their roles and get lost just staring down their sights and at their frag count.

In BC2 for example the Recon class' most valuable ability is by far their spotting range (through the rifle sight). A recon just gunning away is a liability to its team (especially when attacking in Rush) but when spotting every opponent they see for the team they are game winners.