Poll: Would you date/sleep with a person that has a Physical handicap ?

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Does ugly count?

In all seriousness, if she were still independent and positive - as in, doesn't need someone else to go about her day - then yes, I would. I wouldn't date someone I had to take care of - that's not a two-sided relationship.
And I don't think I could date a deaf person. Blind, yes. But not deaf. I'm not sure why.
I wouldn't abandon someone I love if something happened to her that required me to take care of her... that's obviously different. I just wouldn't start a relationship with someone like that, or whose condition doesn't change but decides she needs to be taken care of.

Most disabled people don't let it define their personality. They remain independent and live normal lives despite their disability. I'm not interested in people who milk it, or deliberately remain a burden on those around them. My own father did that in the last weeks of his life, and he quickly unfucked his personality because we didn't let him get away with it.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Yes. Not having a leg or being blind doesn't make them an unlikable person so I'd give it a shot.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Princess Molestia said:
I don't go for those kind of people, 'tis no fun.
I am one of those people!

OP I'd put yes, but my husband doesn't have a disability and I'm not trading him in for a new model!

NastoK

Jun 4, 2011
Huh, I could totally see myself dating a blind person. It would be... interesting. As for the rest, as said before, depends on what's missing.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Princess Molestia said:
putowtin said:
Princess Molestia said:
I don't go for those kind of people, 'tis no fun.
I am one of those people!
There are always exceptions.
Which is exactly why relying on prejudice to decide things doesn't work, there are usually many exceptions. Saying those kind of people arn't fun is like saying those people will mug you about African-Americans, some may but many wont.

fraszoid

Oct 26, 2010
I haven't dated her but we are very close and have done many things together of a personal, physical nature. Without going in to too much graphic detail I will say this: its amazing what someone can do when they don't need to breath through their mouth/nose. We didn't do full out sex, but we had a lot of fun.

I prefer people that are whole, ie not so big on amputees, but I won't pass up the opportunity if it came up.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
Grey Warden said:
As someone who actually has a physical disability and uses a wheelchair, I find this thread absolutely absurd. First off, the term "handicap" is considered an archaic slur among the disabled community--if you're going to ask a question such as this, please do so using the correct terminology.

Secondly, the very idea that a disability should keep people from dating is just wrong. I'm currently dating an amazing girl who has the same disability as me, and we get along great. While I fully understand that some people might be put off by a disability or the difficulties that would arise in dating someone who has one (such as someone who is blind, for example), that doesn't mean that two people shouldn't date. A disability is simply one part of the person, and people should do their best to look beyond it before making judgement.

It seems to me that, based on some of the responses in this thread, ignorance regarding disabilities is sadly still alive and well. I would hope that in today's day and age, more people would be accepting of those of us that have disabilities.

Please not that I am not trying to anger anyone; I just wanted to share my view as a man that has a physical disability and is in a relationship with someone that has one.
I have one arm and couldn't care less if someone called me disabled or handicapped. The fact is both terms don't yield nice connotations, also I don't think it's fair that because you are disabled you believe you can declare what all people with disabilities consider offensive, lastly I can't say I've ever been a part of a disabled 'community' that discussed what terms they did and did not find offensive.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Some things I could handle, others I couldn't. Call me shallow, but looks matter to me. A lot.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Does the Pope wear a funny hat?

It actually might enhance it, make it feel a little more...unorthadox.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
fraszoid said:
I haven't dated her but we are very close and have done many things together of a personal, physical nature. Without going in to too much graphic detail I will say this: its amazing what someone can do when they don't need to breath through their mouth/nose. We didn't do full out sex, but we had a lot of fun.

I prefer people that are whole, ie not so big on amputees, but I won't pass up the opportunity if it came up.
HOW DARE YOU!, na just kiddin'.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Grey Warden said:
As someone who actually has a physical disability and uses a wheelchair, I find this thread absolutely absurd. First off, the term "handicap" is considered an archaic slur among the disabled community--if you're going to ask a question such as this, please do so using the correct terminology.

Secondly, the very idea that a disability should keep people from dating is just wrong. I'm currently dating an amazing girl who has the same disability as me, and we get along great. While I fully understand that some people might be put off by a disability or the difficulties that would arise in dating someone who has one (such as someone who is blind, for example), that doesn't mean that two people shouldn't date. A disability is simply one part of the person, and people should do their best to look beyond it before making judgement.

It seems to me that, based on some of the responses in this thread, ignorance regarding disabilities is sadly still alive and well. I would hope that in today's day and age, more people would be accepting of those of us that have disabilities.

Please not that I am not trying to anger anyone; I just wanted to share my view as a man that has a physical disability and is in a relationship with someone that has one.
I am sorry to offend, i hope you do not take it personally, nor do you think that i was trying to attack or make fun of disabled people.That being said i appologize for not using the politically correct term. And i do agree with you that there is alot of ignorance concerning topics about peopel with disabilities, which is in a sense why i asked the question. The best way to get the average persons response is to ask an average person .Chances are the average person thinks they way most of these people who answers the thread do. Unfortunately , having a disability will turn off a lot people, but that is true for anything. Not to say that disabled people are not great people,but some people cannot see past that ( myself included , but i am a terrible person anyways). The point of my thread was just to see how many people would actually be willing to see pas the disability to meet a great person , or how much would just write it off. And if i have offended you, again i apaulogize , it was not my intention.

Grey Warden

May 12, 2010
Morty815 said:
Grey Warden said:

I have one arm and couldn't care less if someone called me disabled or handicapped. The fact is both terms don't yield nice connotations, also I don't think it's fair that because you are disabled you believe you can declare what all people with disabilities consider offensive, lastly I can't say I've ever been a part of a disabled 'community' that discussed what terms they did and did not find offensive.
I'm not claiming to speak for everyone with disabilities, I have been part of a disabled community and we decided that "handicapped" was offensive. That said, I can appreciate that you can use both terms.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Most likely. Mental handicaps are what really throw me off. This is going to sound absolutely pompous and arrogant but honestly, I can't deal with those that cannot keep up with me intellectually. I'm not rude to them by any means I just get really bored and uncomfortable. Its also why I cannot be a teacher. I've had numerous people suggest I be one but I know I can't do it.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Well, I'm a bit shallow in this department, so I say it depends on the handicap. Deaf, mute, blind? No problem. Mobile amputee..? Big maybe. Paralyzed... probably not.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
krazykidd said:
Grey Warden said:

I am sorry to offend, i hope you do not take it personally, nor do you think that i was trying to attack or make fun of disabled people.That being said i appologize for not using the politically correct term. And i do agree with you that there is alot of ignorance concerning topics about peopel with disabilities, which is in a sense why i asked the question. The best way to get the average persons response is to ask an average person .Chances are the average person thinks they way most of these people who answers the thread do. Unfortunately , having a disability will turn off a lot people, but that is true for anything. Not to say that disabled people are not great people,but some people cannot see past that ( myself included , but i am a terrible person anyways). The point of my thread was just to see how many people would actually be willing to see pas the disability to meet a great person , or how much would just write it off. And if i have offended you, again i apaulogize , it was not my intention.
Relax dude, you said nothing offensive, we live in overly politically correct times, handicapped is an old term, but at least its a euphemism.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Well if it's just sex as long as their attractive to me it wouldn't be an issue. Now if it was a relationship, there are a few things I probably couldn't get past. I'm certainly no caretaker, so someone with a bunch of extra needs would be an issue for me in the long run.