Poll: Would you date/sleep with a person that has a Physical handicap ?

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
Depending on the disability the only time I think I'd have an issue would be if I had to help take care of the other person I helped take care of my disabled grandpa for the last few years of his life and I don't think I could handle that in a relationship.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
I actually have. I had a one night stand with a chick who I knew that had...well...half an arm? Her arm was not fully formed as a birth defect, so it ended at the elbow.

Regardless, she was hot and had a nice rack, so if anything THAT makes me shallow and not the fact she was handicapped :p

EDIT: I also personally don't see anything wrong with dating, or even marrying someone who has a physical handicap. They are people too, and most of them are totally awesome and down to earth. I'd rather marry a handicapped person who is awesome than someone who is fully functional and is a *****

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Honestly I don't know, I would like to think so but I just don't know. Deaf, maybe. Mute, Maybe, chances are I would miss the voice though, not a deal breaker by any means though. Disabled from the waste down, Maybe. Might even make the cuddling easier. But like I said I don't know, no way I can unless it happens.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
anyone watched the newer vlue mountain state episodes? acording to sammy dating a mute girl would be heaven. xD

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Morty815 said:
krazykidd said:
Grey Warden said:
As someone who actually has a physical disability and uses a wheelchair, I find this thread absolutely absurd. First off, the term "handicap" is considered an archaic slur among the disabled community--if you're going to ask a question such as this, please do so using the correct terminology.

Secondly, the very idea that a disability should keep people from dating is just wrong. I'm currently dating an amazing girl who has the same disability as me, and we get along great. While I fully understand that some people might be put off by a disability or the difficulties that would arise in dating someone who has one (such as someone who is blind, for example), that doesn't mean that two people shouldn't date. A disability is simply one part of the person, and people should do their best to look beyond it before making judgement.

It seems to me that, based on some of the responses in this thread, ignorance regarding disabilities is sadly still alive and well. I would hope that in today's day and age, more people would be accepting of those of us that have disabilities.

Please not that I am not trying to anger anyone; I just wanted to share my view as a man that has a physical disability and is in a relationship with someone that has one.
I am sorry to offend, i hope you do not take it personally, nor do you think that i was trying to attack or make fun of disabled people.That being said i appologize for not using the politically correct term. And i do agree with you that there is alot of ignorance concerning topics about peopel with disabilities, which is in a sense why i asked the question. The best way to get the average persons response is to ask an average person .Chances are the average person thinks they way most of these people who answers the thread do. Unfortunately , having a disability will turn off a lot people, but that is true for anything. Not to say that disabled people are not great people,but some people cannot see past that ( myself included , but i am a terrible person anyways). The point of my thread was just to see how many people would actually be willing to see pas the disability to meet a great person , or how much would just write it off. And if i have offended you, again i apaulogize , it was not my intention.
Relax dude, you said nothing offensive, we live in overly politically correct times, handicapped is an old term, but at least its a euphemism.
Heh, okay thanks, sorry, i am canadian, i am programmed to apaulogize for everything.( True story)

Sep 14, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
I really don't see how a physical disability impacts on one's view of 'attractive'.
well what if she had a huge bulge sticking out by her tailbone/ass, and she had 3rd degree burns surrounding her ass and vagina?

OT:

Yeah i might be shallow, but it'd be on a case to case basis, some i could deal/cope with if i knew the person well enough and we had something going, but i'm more leaning toward the "no" side of dating.

i just don't think we could really connect the same on a physical level as i could with someone who doesn't have any kind of physical "mishap".

edit:

I guess i should say if she couldn't see/hear/speak wouldn't bother me as much at all as missing limbs..hell i have a few family members/friends who are missing limbs, and i dont treat them any less, but if it comes to dating? that'd be the toughest i think...that or being ultra paralyzed =\ (and by missing limbs i mean like the whole damn arm/leg, or has a chunk of head missing)

but otherwise if it's like having 12 toes or missing a finger or just a weird birthmark then it wouldn't make much difference to me at all.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
Depends. Sensory handicaps would present a barrier, but it would not be insurmountable. Physical handicaps depend; I can see myself with someone who was missing a limb, though it would be an ... interesting experience, to put it mildly. Beyond that I cannot imagine, but that is simply because I do not have experience with such people than that I find them inherently inferior.

I do think that there would be there fear that I was taking advantage of them somehow; "are they only obliging me because they get little of such attention?" sorta thing...

May 20, 2009
I used to think that no, but now that I'm a little older I realized it's all about the love man. No point in being turned off because of a physical handicap as long as the girl loves us yeah? That's how I think now anyway. So yeah I would. If anyone is to say they wouldn't then that's fine too. If you can't bring yourself to do it then just don't.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
It depends on whether I find it (or more likely one of its consequences) disgusting.

So in many cases probably not.

Grey Warden said:
As someone who actually has a physical disability and uses a wheelchair, I find this thread absolutely absurd. First off, the term "handicap" is considered an archaic slur among the disabled community--if you're going to ask a question such as this, please do so using the correct terminology.
Perhaps the correct terminology is something that you consider an archaic slur.

Secondly, the very idea that a disability should keep people from dating is just wrong. I'm currently dating an amazing girl who has the same disability as me, and we get along great. While I fully understand that some people might be put off by a disability or the difficulties that would arise in dating someone who has one (such as someone who is blind, for example), that doesn't mean that two people shouldn't date. A disability is simply one part of the person, and people should do their best to look beyond it before making judgement.
I believe there is an exchange theory [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_exchange_theory] explanation for this behavior. It seems to me that in the general case, having a disability will limit activities in some way. This will either impose costs on a partner or close off certain avenues of reward. So what will be the equilibrium? A massive increase in the likelihood of someone with a particular disability becoming involved with someone who has the same disability-- because having the same disability makes its presence in each partner have the lowest cost. There is a comparative advantage because of an absolute disadvantage. We see this all the time in microeconomics.

It's simply one part of the person, but it is likely to matter in any case. And those where it doesn't matter as much are when disabilities are more or less equal.

It seems to me that, based on some of the responses in this thread, ignorance regarding disabilities is sadly still alive and well. I would hope that in today's day and age, more people would be accepting of those of us that have disabilities.
All I see is people having perfectly legitimate preferences. There is a difference between being "accepting" and wanting to share a bed or have a close relationship. Having preferences is not ignorant, it's simply exercising one's judgment.

Lerasai

Aug 14, 2010
LarenzoAOG said:
That's like asking "Would you eat a pasta?" Is it tasty? What kind of pasta? What kind of suace? Is it warm or cold? There are a lot of factors.

And yeah I guess it they were attractive and I think they are an interesting and good person.
I would agree with you, but for some reason I need to go make pasta.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
If they were in a wheel chair and I had to do stuff to take care of them occasionally that might even add to the attraction, if we're talking about a loving relationship. If I love someone I tend to want to go out of my way to help them/make their lives easier in any small way.

In the end, if I find someone attractive, I find them attractive. I don't know the formula for it but I can't see any of those things affecting it.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
BlackStar42 said:
That would depend on what it was, how severe,could I cope etc. Obviously I can't know for sure unless it happens though.
This. Honestly, I couldn't cope with something too severe.

Morty815

Mar 10, 2010
krazykidd said:
Morty815 said:
krazykidd said:
Grey Warden said:

Please not that I am not trying to anger anyone; I just wanted to share my view as a man that has a physical disability and is in a relationship with someone that has one.
I am sorry to offend, i hope you do not take it personally, nor do you think that i was trying to attack or make fun of disabled people.That being said i appologize for not using the politically correct term. And i do agree with you that there is alot of ignorance concerning topics about peopel with disabilities, which is in a sense why i asked the question. The best way to get the average persons response is to ask an average person .Chances are the average person thinks they way most of these people who answers the thread do. Unfortunately , having a disability will turn off a lot people, but that is true for anything. Not to say that disabled people are not great people,but some people cannot see past that ( myself included , but i am a terrible person anyways). The point of my thread was just to see how many people would actually be willing to see pas the disability to meet a great person , or how much would just write it off. And if i have offended you, again i apaulogize , it was not my intention.
Relax dude, you said nothing offensive, we live in overly politically correct times, handicapped is an old term, but at least its a euphemism.
Heh, okay thanks, sorry, i am canadian, i am programmed to apaulogize for everything.( True story)
Haha no problem :D

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
Depends on the sort of handicap. As some people have mentioned before me, if they were blind, deaf or mute, certainly. I would be sad that they could never hear my voice/see my face/talk to me the same way I can see/hear/talk to them, but otherwise, no problem.

A person whose legs don't function, maybe, if I liked the person well enough (altough I'd imagine it's take some getting used to).

A person with one or more missing limbs, tough...?

Probably not. Not that I find them worse people or anything, but I just can't see myself sexually attracted to someone who misses an arm or a leg (or something like it). I find a lot of people attractive and a lot of people unattractive and amputees would fall into the latter.

Of course that doesn't mean I can't befriend one :)

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
Yes, i would. I see no reason that any physical handicap should mean that they're any less interesting or attractive. I dated a girl who couldnt speak. She could hear me, of course, so generally conversations were brief but you know, it was a good relationship, none the less. She was always attentive to what i was saying, and always liked to hear what i had to say, and she was very passionate with me.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
gmaverick019 said:
well what if she had a huge bulge sticking out by her tailbone/ass, and she had 3rd degree burns surrounding her ass and vagina?
... point taken, though some may still find that attractive.

However, my second girlfriend had a massive scar through her eyelid and down the left side of her face... how'd I do?

EDIT: Also, we're skirting the line between disfigurement and disability...