Poll: would you die for your country?

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
shannon.archer said:
Mr Thin said:
Dying for my country is essentially dying for 22.6 million people, so hell yes I'd die for it.

With that many people in my country, odds are at least one of them is worth dying for, and that would make my sacrifice worthwhile.
I love your perspective. You sir, are a thinker.
Why thank you. Thanks to the other guy that quoted me as well.

Honestly though, I expect most people in the thread would give their lives to save millions.

They're just not thinking in terms of the people, but in terms of the government, and a country is both of these things.

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
Pah, I don't care that much. I'd die for many things, but Amurrica is not one of them.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Depends. I'm not going to die for my country 10000 miles away from it. In general that is less dying for your country and more dying for your country's ideology at best, or the greed of some influential groups at worst.

Even for an invasion threat, I wouldn't be fighting for my country. I may end up with the same ultimate objective as the government, but all that patriotism BS never worked with me. If you tried to give some rousing speech about the founding fathers and the revolution, I'd scoff, say something like, "that's really pretty but you wanna help me blow up this tank?", and get back to business. Largely, it would end up, better the devil you know.

DrJapple

Mar 15, 2011
WouldYouKindly said:
Depends. I'm not going to die for my country 10000 miles away from it. In general that is less dying for your country and more dying for your country's ideology at best, or the greed of some influential groups at worst.

Even for an invasion threat, I wouldn't be fighting for my country. I may end up with the same ultimate objective as the government, but all that patriotism BS never worked with me. If you tried to give some rousing speech about the founding fathers and the revolution, I'd scoff, say something like, "that's really pretty but you wanna help me blow up this tank?", and get back to business. Largely, it would end up, better the devil you know.
Your country is not the same thing as your government. Your country is more than just a flag and a constitution.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
gabe12301 said:
Would you die for your country? It's pretty straight-forward.

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
This is America....We make other people die for their country....Thats how we do shit here.

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Dyme said:
What? WTF? Why would anyone DIE for a such an abstract construct?

People take dying pretty lightly these days. "I`d catch a grenade for you".

You realize that dying means it is game over? Or maybe I am just a selfish person, but I really don't want to die.

And why live there, if I am not going to die for it? What the hell? I live here because I was born here and learned that language. If I was born a few more kilometres West, I would have been from the Netherlands. Wouldn't want to die for that country either.
About that "catch a grenade" comment. He never said the pin was pulled...just saying...

OT:
Why would I die for it? That doesn't make any sense.
I have so many things to do that are better then dying.

soultrain117

Dec 4, 2010
No and to answer your question why live there, because I wouldn't die for any other country either. I would however die for the human race, freedom, and a number of other ideal I hold.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHNO! I wouldn't die for my country primarily because I dislike it and the vast majority of those in it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ha. Ha.

No.

My instincts of self-preservation remain functional, thank you very much.

Besides, "Die for your country"...what does that even mean? Am I dying for the land? That makes no sense, the land doesn't give a shit, although I suppose it would appreciate the extra fertilizer. Am I dying for the national government? Ha! Fuck that for a joke. Am I dying for the people? Why would I do that? The people here aren't any more deserving of my theoretical sacrifice than the people elsewhere.

But hey, if some other patriotic idiots wish to die for my country, then they can go right ahead.

Aug 17, 2009
Hot damn. It's attitudes like this that could have lead to the Nazis winning World War 2.

The second the invaders set up a junta, count me among La Resistance. I'm nowhere near the quality of person appropriate for the standing army, but insurgents don't need to be good, or survive that long. All I'd need to be is a good enough nuisance.

Xerxes250

May 18, 2009
I would die in its defense. If someone invaded I would be all over the guerrilla warfare thing. I will not however, join the military to be sent to fight.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Die for my country.

Yes, but only on American soil. I will not go to Afghanistan or Iraq and fight people in their home. Sorry, people who get killed in those wars aren't dying for their country. Only if America is actually being threatened, like back in WWII.

pizzapicante27

Feb 11, 2009
Mexico:
Sure, if it was a fair cause (a fair cause being a foreign attack or a situation in which the governemnt attacks the civilian population, not "lets fight the imaginary terrorists in the ass of the world"), but I would never join the standing army, theyre a bunch civilian killers.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
"The objective is to make the other guy die for his country" - ...Can't remember damn

But seriously, No I can love my country without dying for it just fine, I'm rather attached to living and would like to keep it up.

On that not why on earth must I want to die for my country in order to love it?

ChillzMaster

Mar 23, 2011
I'd die for my country. If my life means the freedom, safety, and prosperity of the other millions of people in the United States, then I'll gladly give my life for the greater good.

-Chillz