Poll: would you die for your country?

alinos

Nov 18, 2009
gabe12301 said:
If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
Well

A) i was born here, not really a choice.

B) last i checked, The world isn't in fact free and i can't live wherever i want. Sure i can apply to live in other countries but until a country said yes i would still be here

C) If i don't have an allegiance to the country i currently claim citizenship to i don't see any reason why i would want to die for another country.

I'd defend where i am because of the people there, beyond that i don't give a shit.

Government is government. If they leave me alone i don't much care what they are doing or who they are

and sure it's a bad view to have. after all

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."
But theres the exact same odds of my government deciding to screw me over as there is a foreign government coming in and taking over.

Though at least they might provide some Viable alternative. To Gillard or Abbot, both of home are incompetent buffoons.

shroomie

Mar 31, 2009
No, I will fight and live for the people I love not the landmass onto which I happen to be born.

Michael Logan

Oct 19, 2008
Haha no, the swedish government takes every chance it gets to screw over the swedish people in the name of political correctness. So no I would not die for them.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I would never die for my country; To die for Earth though with purpose... that is another story. So long as I knew that I was doing something right, and it was by my own rights I will happily die knowing I did the right thing. However my Scholarly pursuits take priority right now, so dying with purpose will have to wait until I knock my heads a few too many times.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I wouldn't fight for it, and I certainly wouldn't die for it. I don't have the belief that my country is superior simply because I was born here; if I'm going to fight it's going going to be for me and me only.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Im from lithuania, theres only about 3 million of us.
If my country was invaded or attacked, I WOULD take up arms and fight.

However, my country invades another country, I wouldn't.

P.S. This is my own opinion, as my country doesnt encourage army enlisting.

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
Would I die for my country? No. Would I die for my home? Yes.

If my country wanted me to go to war for them, I would refuse it for as long as I possibly could. I love Canada, but I wouldn't go somewhere else to fight "for" it. However, if war came here, I would defend my city and home to the death.

Thankfully though, it's Canada... so the chances of either are quite slim; unless I were to volunteer of course, which I won't.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
deathtopenguins said:
Origin's TOS for Battlefield 3 says I have to :(
Die not for your beloved country (it's people), die for EA; your Eternal Assholes and Gods of the Dickfinity and Beyond! It's starting to look like that too, makes me laugh lol xD

Also you don't need Origin's to run Battlefield from what I have been told, so don't sweat that one just get the Box.

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
no because all people really know about us is beer and racism
I would change my mind if games where sold at 60$ new though

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
gabe12301 said:
Would you die for your country? It's pretty straight-forward.

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
winning a war is making the other bugger die for HIS country. im much more usefull alive.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
gabe12301 said:
For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
The only things keeping me in this shitty country are my family and the fact I don't have enough money to move anywhere better.

I live in Australia btw. The land of censorship and $110 games.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
gabe12301 said:

I live here because I was born here... I now have many dear friends and family, and I don't have a lot of money, so even if I wanted to move I couldn't. I don't necessarily love my country, but I love people I know.

Artinam

Jan 5, 2008
Same as Akichi Daikashima.

When another country would invade mine (or perhaps even the EU), I would probably take up arms. However when my country thinks it can attack another country (without a strong legitimate reason), count me out.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I wouldn't die for any country.
I'd die protecting myself, friends, family, but not a place or pretty words.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
gabe12301 said:

Why the hell would I die for such a petty thing as a country.

"If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much"
See, that's the kind of line that makes my blood boil because it's usualy spoken by backward-ass patriotic idiots who constanly flaunt with the phrase "I love my country" and condone everyone who doesn't think the same as someone who doesn't like his country.

I also think that most people who would die for this or that aren't exactly aware of the consequences.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
As long as it is not in a 'contributing to something' sort of thing and more like a 'saving the country' sort of thing.
As in, country can be advanced to a golden age if ten thousand people are sacrificed. Than no thanks. If it is like, terrorists set a nuclear weapon in New York, if it is defused it sets out smoke that kills me and everyone is running away but there is only twenty seconds till it blows, I am defusing that thing. My conciseness just cant handle it.

senorfatso

Jul 26, 2008
You put a lot of faith in your country.
If your government's military told you it was your duty to suicide bomb innocent civilians 'in the name of your country' you would do it then? If so, why not? Don't you love your country?

I suppose I would die in if my life was directly required in order to maintain ideological freedoms (e.g. arguably WW2, that's about it) or to save many other people's lives (which is not the same thing as dying for your country, hell if my life would save a million Arabs it'd be worth dying for).

I hate the term 'loving your country' and our supposed duty to do so altogether; it's way too abstract. I love liberty, egalitarianism, justice etc. but they are just components of what a 'country' represents. Would you be so forceful towards a North Korean to love their country?