Poll: would you die for your country?

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
I wouldn't die for my country, I would only die to protect someone precious (or maybe to defend some ideals)

bobajelly

Jun 4, 2008
I think the essence of this thread is trying to see whether or not you would willing die for your country if it meant securing the future of the country. So yeh. Survivalists being kinda selfish really.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I would die to protect an innocent life. I would die to defeat those that must be defeated (Nazis would be a good example). I would die to stand for what I believe in. For my country though? I don't know. There is so much corruption that I don't even know if I would know what I was fighting for. I love my country, but I don't love a lot of the leaders or their policies. I care more about other people then their ideology.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Would I die for a bit of dirt? Hell no.

Would I die protecting those I love? Yes. That's one of the reasons I stayed in the territorial army.

Now stop trolling OP and go back to gaia.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Depends on the event really I'm not willing to sacrifice anything if it looks like it'll accomplish nothing.
BTW, I love Mr Thin's point, but obviously the opportunity has to present itself first in order for me to think on it.

jarkhideous

Mar 18, 2011
gabe12301 said:
Would you die for your country? It's pretty straight-forward.

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
Been there, done that. I was shot in the chest while in Iraq and my heart stopped from the damage. Was resuscitated and sent home. Now i kinda resent my country because they don't take care of the veterans they disabled very well.

I don't suggest anyone go and die for your country. Its better to die from old age after living an uneventful life of farming. At least you don't have to worry about if you'll be forgiven for what you did while you were alive.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
I would fight for my country but not for the government (unless they join the fight directly), I'd fight if we were being invaded and the invasion would hinder our way of life, traditions and freedom. If it would make our lives better I dunno what I would do.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
If i'm going to die for something its going to be for my friends and family. the country itself can rot for all i care as long as I, my friends and family make it through whatever crap comes our way.

theres not really a thing i can thank my country for, i've always got the short end when its come to government involvement.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
i'd die for the solid ground that i live on, unless your talking about my government which would be hell no

or my 'people' which would be another hell no

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
No, it's a lump of rock and earth no different from any other, yes it's not bad living here but I had no choosing in my birthplace. DYING FOR SOMETHING YOU HAVE NO CHOICE IN WHATSOEVER, is completely illogical and ridiculous.

I prefer to abstain from any violence but if you must fight, fight for what you CHOOSE to believe in, fight for values, ideals and the ways of life that are yours and your right to keep but dear god fighting for a piece of rock? It's not where you live but what you make of your surroundings, you can live in your own way where ever you are but if someone denies you of your personal beliefs THEN you take a stand.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
No.

I don't have country that I call "mine". Sure, I'm a citizen of Sweden, but I don't consider myself very Swedish. Out of my 21 years of life, I've lived here in Sweden a grand total of 7 years (including the first 5 years of my life, of which I don't remember much).

I'm a citizen of the world, and I'm willing to die to defend anyone who needs it.
Countries are collective illusions that constantly change over time, while people are real mortal beings who are full of ideas and potential.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Ha ha hell no, i love the way people get all 'I regret that i only have one life to give la la da whatever' about it like dieing for your country is the ultimate noble thing to do. I wonder if those said same people would say the same thing if they were born in some third world country where just surviving till tomorrow is considered a remarkable achievement.

The idea of a country is essentially barbarian and stems from the idea of the tribe. So what you are saying when you say 'i would die for my country' you really mean i would die for my tribe. Now this is all well and good if your tribe is relatively small and you have bonds with/know most members of it but it fails when you increase the size and thus make it imposable to form bonds with a lot of the members because there are too damn many of them. Thus the idea of country is born. It's a way to unify and control a large group of people who share the same culture.

What makes this even funnier is that the idea of country is today being it's self eroded as we become an increasingly global and inter dependent species. Nations find themselves inundated with new and unaccustomed ideas and ways of thinking/doing stuff as they become connected to other nations across the globe, culture merges and changes. We are all becoming citizens of one big country i like to call 'earth' and it will make out species truly worth calling wise. Just imagine what we could do.

Unfortunately that probably wont happen and we will end up killing each other in even more inventive and stupid ways over pointless things because the fucktards out there will, as usual *sigh*, ruin it all for everyone else.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
gabe12301 said:
If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
Actually, most people (more than 50% of the world's population) don't have the money or any other means to leave their country (Language, and massive travel distances are big barriers for many people in African countries). And being born there in the first place was no choice of theirs. Some of them love it, some of them hate it, most couldn't care enough about thing outside their own lives.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Unlike most people here, yes. Why? Not because I think that the UK is a holy land or something but because I value freedom and liberty above all-else and sometimes citizens do have to make the ultimate sacrifice to protect democracy. When I read about some of the disgusting practices of our enemies during WWII, I know that I would give myself to defeat that sort of evil.