Poll: would you die for your country?

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Unless life becomes like Call of Duty and I can respawn after being killed so I can shank the motherf***er who shot me with the shotgun then no.

I am a bit of a coward when it comes to war and being drafted. (I know there is no draft and it is all a voluteer army but still) If the draft is reinstated and we go to war, I will find a place to go into hinding and take a pistol or two with me in case they find me and shoot the federal basterds who try to make me go and save one bullet for me in case they corner me.

Dark I know but that's how I really feel about it.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
fuck yeah. if nobody in a country is willing to make the sacrifice for it then what is it? its not a power, because if it is threatened nobody will defend it. if nobody is willing to defend a place then it is worthless, because the people do not see it as worth defending

Bleedingskye

Mar 19, 2011
gabe12301 said:
If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
Some people don't really have a choice in where they live or getting citizenship in any other country, or is it even possible to take away a citizenship if born and raised there? Anyways, I would die for my country if there was good enough reason, going to war for something I don't believe in, no I'm not interested...but let's say we were invaded, then yes I would take up arms and fight back.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
no.

because my country is a shithole an the only people i genuinely like, i want to bang, and are either:
in a relationship
straight (to my knowledge)

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
It really depends on what you mean by that.

Do you mean "Would you take part in something that involves you going into ridiculously dangerous situations where you are almost certain to die as part of a meaninglessly huge statistic, and you're only job is to try and take as many people on the other side down with you?"
Because then no. I am sure as hell never going to contribute to a war.

Then again, is this a "You die, or your country completely collapses." Because that would probably mean mass suffering and death just for little old me. And then yes, I would die for that, but that's not so much my country as just... Care for my fellow bros.

Or is it a "dying for the ideals" of your country kinda thing? Then I dunno. I hold personal values higher than those of my government.

Apr 5, 2008
Hell no. I'm not saying I'd be the first in line to bow to our alien or machine overlords, but give up my life? For what?

Is the OP asking if it would be my life to make sure the bomb goes off to destroy the evil invaders that would annihalate the rest of the British population otherwise, then maybe, won't know until I'm in that situation. And no, I don't particularly love it. In general, I think it's really just Americans and the French who are so patriotic. Noone else really cares all that much.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Maybe.
If I had one.
I was born in the Netherlands but moved to Greece and lived there for 14 years. Neither of these countries feel 100% like home.
If the European countries where more united I would probably fight for the freedom of the union (whatever that enemy might be)

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Saulkar said:
*Sigh* Dude that is not how it works. It is not about dieing for your country. It is about making the other bastard die for his.
Thank you, and that is a Great historical reference.

OT: Fight, yes, sacrifice, even my life, yes, but I wouldn't drink the special kool-aid because my government told me to... So I suppose even I have standards.

Completely ignoring all the pro-us style patriotism vs. european... lukewarmness to the subject, it takes sacrifice to keep where we live free and usually not ruled by despots, and if nobody is willing to make that sacrifice... What little good is left in the world will flicker and die.

There is a reason the military and acceptable society are always a couple steps out of sync. For me: "Those who ?abjure? violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."

Hyperrhombus

Mar 31, 2011
In general, no, but it depends a lot on context. For example, if fighting a war against another country, you wouldn't be dying for your country as much as dying for the government's decision to go to war. I can see how patriotism is touching, and how sacrificing onesself would be justifiable, but then again, the significance of your sacrifice must balance out what everyone else achieves from your sacrifice; dying for no reason is tragic and pointless, like at the Sommes.

TL;DR version: Nope!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Die for Britain? Shit no, not anymore I wouldn't. This countrys already ruined, so whats the point in fighting for it?

iRevanchist

Jun 11, 2011
of course. if a kidnapper or something caught me and i had the choice between dying and having the US destroyed, I'd choose dying every time.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Patriotism is retarded, so no.

I got weirded out when I went on a school trip to the WW1 graveyards in France. My friend, a strong military supporter, got very teary eyed and said how he wished he could die in such a noble way for his country. This made me incredibly pissed off. The point that they died is sad, not beautiful. They didn't die for their country, their country killed them. These countries allowed millions of men to die for NO reason. It's not like the Germans were evil, it was just them being imperialist, exactly how Britain was at the time. The fact is a mass mutiny would have saved all their lives and their country is what got them killed.

But of course naturally a country would idolise people who don't challenge the status quo. So yeah, next rememberance day during the silence why not try thinking about who really is responsible for those mens deaths, rather than just thinking how noble it was that they died in agony in a foreign land at a young age?

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Ironsouled said:
Saulkar said:
*Sigh* Dude that is not how it works. It is not about dieing for your country. It is about making the other bastard die for his.
Thank you, and that is a Great historical reference.

OT: Fight, yes, sacrifice, even my life, yes, but I wouldn't drink the special kool-aid because my government told me to... So I suppose even I have standards.

Completely ignoring all the pro-us style patriotism vs. european... lukewarmness to the subject, it takes sacrifice to keep where we live free and usually not ruled by despots, and if nobody is willing to make that sacrifice... What little good is left in the world will flicker and die.

There is a reason the military and acceptable society are always a couple steps out of sync. For me: "Those who ?abjure? violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf."
Let me guess, you like 24. Right? I prefer to think of it like this.

Person 1: "Everyone should live in peace."
Person 2: "There will always be dickheads who want to fight, so we have to fight back."
Person 1: "But if they're fighting, and you're fighting, how can we tell who's the dickhead?"
Person 2: "Erm, well, you see, we're American... and the Bible says... erm..."
Person 1: "'Turn the other cheek'?"
Person 2: "Nope, erm, the constitution..."
Person 1: "All men are born equal?"
Person 2: "Shut up, fuckin' liberal commie prick!" *shoots person 1*

I prefer to think of it my way because not only is it quite insulting but it is also very dismissive of other, probably reasonably valid, counter-arguments.

Anyway, I'm only left-wing because right-wing doesn't have any good satirists.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Orcus The Ultimate said:
MercurySteam said:
You mean would I put myself in the line of fire or actually die? Going to war doesn't necessarily mean dying for your country.
I giggled while reading "put myself in the line of fire" and looking at your avatar.. very nice indeed!
I don't get it O.O

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
Depends.. Will I die with glory and be remembered for all ages? If so yes! If not... Maybe not..

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Hypothetically, if my death might save Britain from imminent destruction, then yes.

The definition's a bit iffy, see?