Poll: would you die for your country?

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
No one dies for his country. People die for ideologies or in the worst case for stupid decisions their government made, a government that does care about a few billion bucks companies way more than about the average idiot in the forces that actually thinks his "big brother" in the capital gives a crap about his life.
If you fight for money or immediate self defense i can respect that, in the first case you are still a cold blooded murderer, but at least capable of logical thought. But for a government? Becoming a murderer and get killed for some stupid poilician?Hell no thats dumb. If it wasnt they would be fighting theirselfs, or at least their families. But they wont do that, heck no. No one with a little logic endangers his own kind if enough cannon fodder is available.

cgaWolf

Apr 16, 2009
gabe12301 said:
Would you die for your country? It's pretty straight-forward.

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
No.

I can move.
I can't ressucitate.

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
Why would anyone be willing to die for nationalism, which causes conflict and millions of deaths? That is double death, no gain.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
gabe12301 said:
If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
That's a bit like saying: "If you wouldn't die for pizza, why do you eat it?"

Shanecooper

Aug 12, 2009
Nope. It would be un-Australian for me to die for my country, and in Australia, nothing is worse then being un-Australian. Dieing for your mates, now that's a different story.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Oh, how logical. If you love/like something you should die for it. What is this? Al Qaeda HQ?! Hey, I like McDonalds, and I love Coca Cola (Yeah, I am that healthy of a person), but I wouldn't die for either of these things! Dying for something, doesn't determine how much you love/like it. It just determines how smart you are(or how dumb, in this case), and how much you value your life!

Plus another thing, buddy. Which century exactly are you living in? Is it post or pre Renaissance? Get a grip, today it doesn't matter in which country you live in, and those stingy old farty generals in the army don't give two pieces of ass for which patch of land their defending, and whether it should be bigger or not. It's all economics now. Conquering a certain land sounds good only to idiots and Al Qaeda members, and quite frankly I don't see the difference between them. So "dying for your country" *funny voice* isn't a very likely scenario. But even if it were, I'd still tell those suited officials in their government offices to go f**k themselves and defend their big piles of money by themselves! Honestly, f**k patriotism!

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Die for my country? What do you mean?

Die for the survival of my country? Yes, I would. Die to play my part in protecting its 300 million inhabitants from foreign invasion? Yes, I would. Die to protect its oil interests overseas? Hell no.

Nopenahnuhuh

Nov 17, 2009
gabe12301 said:

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
Absolutely not. I wouldn't throw my life away like that for anything except my girl or my family. Not a matter of patriotism, it's simply due to the fact that I've only got the one life and I'd like to live it for what it's worth, after this there's no 3 day respawn, no angelic choir welcoming me into the gates of heaven, no "I'll just come back and fix it in my next life" just game over, roll credits.

I'm not giving my life away for something as trivial as an ideal or a country. These change with time, ideals and countries rise and fall over the ages and nothing comes of it, my death would be a statistic (in all likelihood, as I don't think I'd die so as a result of gloriously throwing Hitler 2 in the fiery chasm, it'd be something in the likes of: random bullet finds flaw in my helmet during stupid skirmish with random grunts 'cause sarge was an idiot with the damn map).

Soooo... yeah. No "for king and country" out of me, no heroics, nothing of the sort, as wimpy as this might sound. I'd only throw myself in the line of fire to protect my family or loved one.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
I wouldn't die for anything. Full stop. Maybe get severely injured for my friends, but never die.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
for me if my country gets invaded, i would pick up a weapon and fight for my country. as someone already said america has alot of people if my life was on the line but it would save the country i would do it. i may hate all of humanity but i know that there is something in this country there must be a spark of good it just has to exist. all humanity should have a chance to live and i would let my own life go to allow the spark to grow

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
What is a country? What can my death mean for my country? The only way to "die for your country" is by surviving as long as you possibly can and make the best of whatever the situation is for the ones around you.

I like to concider myself above the cliché (and very American, if I may say) type of justice and superhero-style "heroism". Life is a fragile thing and this goes for everything. That said, if war broke out in my country, I'd not cowar and pick up a weapon. I will kill with my bare hands if I have to protect someone I love.

Also, if I'd see a random helpless person being mugged, stabbed, or any other situation where other people (and/or me) are threatened by someone, I feel like I would step in. I'm conditioning myself to do it and I'm pretty damn crazy when it comes to danger.

RickRoll

Aug 4, 2009
gabe12301 said:

wow, that is the dumbest, most nationalistic crap i've ever heard. you shouldn't have to prove your undying loyalty to a country by vowing to die for it in order to live there! that's the reason why wars manage to thrive as well as they do, because people like you think that there's some honor in wasting you life for a country that sometimes, but often times DOESN'T have your best interests in mind for you. i would never die for my country (America), which features a fucked up economic system (capitalism) that treats a huge chunk of its populace like shit, that has only a small handful of wealthy politicians and CEOs that start lots of unnecessary wars where lots of people "die for their country" in order for them to really just get more money. I also find that America's laws are in many ways contradictory, hypocritical, and overly harsh, namely with regards to prostitution, gay marriage, and marijuana (and imo many other drugs) being illegal, when for some reason alcohol is totally acceptable and so is buying a fucking assault rifle. Many Americans are also complete morons and proud of it, and I definitely wouldn't want to give up my life to defend idiots that I have no relation to nor respect for; i don't think they should die by any means, but I certainly wouldn't be all enthusiastic about giving up my life for them. I also am not proud of the fact that America was literally founded on the genocidal massacre of an entire race of people (the Native Americans) and that they've managed to quite effectively cover-up/underplay this horrible, horrible fact simply because they were successful. I can go on and on about my problems with America, but the bottom-line is that no entity (country, person, or otherwise) should be respected or obeyed if they demand such utter devotion and conformity to their ideals that they'd request for you to put your life on the line for them. And yes, I have often considered moving from America, but I live in Los Angeles, which is one of the few sane places in this messed-up country (well, sorta lol).

English Stew

Apr 23, 2011
Depends on what would replace it if I didn't defend it.

If Nazis were invading, then ya, I probably would.

If it was just being annexed by the US, then I'd complain a lot, but probably wouldn't do anything suicidal.

RickRoll

Aug 4, 2009
MetalMagpie said:
gabe12301 said:
If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
That's a bit like saying: "If you wouldn't die for pizza, why do you eat it?"
hilarious and totally correct lol!