Poll: Would you drive across Africa for $1 million?

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Yeah, I'd probably give it a shot, if I stayed on major roads, left the car as few times as possible, avoided having to ford large rivers (Because hippos are fucking terrifying), and brought along someone who knows how to avoid things like being hacked to death by crazy people, I could see myself making it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
My opinion has somewhat been coloured by Top gear's many road adventures where middle aged emphysemic motoring journalists are somehow able to make these incredible road adventures with often the least suited vehicles yet with remarkable ease.

theultimateend said:
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cases_of_penis_removal ).
I'm not clicking that link.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
It doesn't sound that hard, if you plan ahead.

As long as I've got enough fuel, I doubt I'd get out the car for anything else. Play safe, get 1 million at the end.

luclin92

Apr 22, 2009
YES i would do it as long as i can use as much time as i want. i would do it and i probably would try and have fun while doing it.

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
Treblaine said:
[...]
Seems to be people have VERY contrasting opinions of Africa.

Do you really think if you just drive through Africa black people will kidnap and torture you for no reason at all?

Would you say the same thing about any other place?
exactly people should go out and see the world with their own eyes... if you inform yourself about the politcal situation (foreign office etc.) of the countries, you should have little problems to find some interesting sub-saharan countries to visit... of course knowing several languages will help alot if you get intouch with local people.

educate yourself about other countries while you're young or you will very likely end up like this

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
Does a tank count as a weapon?

also I think that, that route may be difficult, perhaps if you could change the route?

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
hell ya, it'd be easy. i'd bring my brother-in-law who used to work for blackwater and was often deployed to there, so he'd know which is the quickest and easiest routes

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah definitely. Believe it or not, Africa, while not the most peaceful place in the world, is not exactly consumed in complete violence and war. You could certainly make your away across the continent without encountering any danger at all.

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
if there was zero threat from "humans" (militia and all that shit included) then i'd be tempted to, as driving long distances has never bugged me, and i'm used to diverse amounts of weather as is so that would be a no brainer also.
wow... just... wow.
I get that africans are somewhat of the bogeyman, but to put their status as human in question?
The 19th century called and want their racism back.
I do hope you didn´t mean it that way, even if I doubt it.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Treblaine said:
My opinion has somewhat been coloured by Top gear's many road adventures where middle aged emphysemic motoring journalists are somehow able to make these incredible road adventures with often the least suited vehicles yet with remarkable ease.

theultimateend said:
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cases_of_penis_removal ).
I'm not clicking that link.
The first thing that came to my head was the many adventures of Clarkson and his gang. I would so want to see this as an special for Top Gear,

May 20, 2009
1 million? Are you gonna set some traps up along the way or hire mercenaries to shoot on sight? Well sure I'll drive through Africa for a million. I'd do it for free but you're being generous. I'll bring this person I know who knows the continent well and speaks fluent French and then in Angola I can just use my mother language. I wouldn't take that much money nor a weapon though. Might come across as something else to some people there if I did. Unless the food supply runs out and I have to hunt impalas for a nice chunk of meat.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Smokej said:
Treblaine said:
[...]
Seems to be people have VERY contrasting opinions of Africa.

Do you really think if you just drive through Africa black people will kidnap and torture you for no reason at all?

Would you say the same thing about any other place?
exactly people should go out and see the world with their own eyes... if you inform yourself about the politcal situation (foreign office etc.) of the countries, you should have little problems to find some interesting sub-saharan countries to visit... of course knowing several languages will help alot if you get intouch with local people.

educate yourself about other countries while you're young or you will very likely end up like this
That picture... Grandpa?

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I would drive across Africa for the price of the plane tickets. It sounds fun! The million dollars is just the icing on the cake!

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
Heck, I'd pay to do this, it sounds like an awesome adventure. My grandfather did it when he was 74, albeit as part of a group. If I didn't manage it would be my greatest moment of shame.

TheCrapMaster

Aug 31, 2009
Well i would most definetly try for 1 million dollar, that said this is probably something people would do for free if the whole thing got payed for. And sure there constantly war or fighting going on over there but i dont think they go for "shoot first ask questions later" instead of pulling your car over, asking wtf your doing there and explain your taking a long life planned trip to cross africa.
Secondly i toss away the gun, how the hell is a gun gonna help? It probably just cause alot of problems if you get pulled over and your car get inspected.And lets face it, how many of us are skilled marksmen that feel they can take on a couple of guys with AKAs with a gun?
The start money you can probably just ditch and keep 20% of it, im pretty sure thats more then enough and again, dont wanna cause suspecion at a inspection, and seeing im taking my sister with me that been to africa and other third world countries would give the 80% to charity.

To how high my sisters and mine survival skills go, we probably screwed as soon as the car breaks down if were far away from a town where we could pay someone for repairs/get a new car. She speaks very good french tho so trading and talking to the people over there would be doable.

So all in all, i sure as hell would try it.

Herbsk

May 31, 2011
I'd do it for a lot less than a Million - despite the danger and possible parasites - Africa is supposed to be beautiful and I'd love to see it.

Oh, and I'll be bringing my Army buddy with me so I have a chance of making it back in one piece!