Poll: Would you let your gf play a MMO?

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
"I know we live in a culter and age where its ok for females to play video games..."

Huh? ;)

Sure why not, if I ever get a girlfriend that is. Plus I bet it would be great to spend time with her debating game related subjects. And she'll never be able to get on my grill about playing video games, so its all good.

Shaenightbird

Apr 7, 2008
Let? Oh hun, no, no! They don't "let" us do things. We don't "let" them do things. People do what they want. No controlling on either side.

I'm a gamer woman, and I now have a new criteria for dating, besides only dating guys who game~ They have to run with me a few times, because I can tell right away. If I can get along with a guy in game, we'll do fine in the relationship. This theory has proven out several times now. Gaming is about teamwork, sharing, etc. I can't live with a loot hog. No way! And then, I do play a lot, because I really like it. Non gamers...they just don't understand!

BlackIronGuardian

Dec 26, 2008
I'd stage an intervention before it even became a problem, for her own sake. But then, not a fan of MMO's, so I'm a bit skewed. Then again, her choice. Then again again, I'd want to see her in the future at some point. Then again again again, ''let'' is a strong word usully responded t with ''fuck off''. Hm.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Shaenightbird said:
If I can get along with a guy in game, we'll do fine in the relationship. This theory has proven out several times now.
I just have to ask after reading this. If you'll do fine in your relationship by getting along in a game, why has it had to happen several times now? Or are you saying that it's never worked out where you get along in the game before? But if that's the case, how would you know if your theory was ever true, without it working out several times?

Ok Ok, Don't take the questions too seriously. Just an observation I made and couldn't help but to bring up. Just having a bit of fun.

Irishbrwnie

Apr 29, 2007
Yikes...hopefully we live in a day and age when we as female gamers don't need permission to play video games on our liesure time! I guess I can answer for my husband... we met in an online game (EQ2) and we now play just about every video game together. So that's a yes for him. Seriously though, your wording is scary!

Telumendil

Mar 27, 2009
Really depends what you meant...

I sure wouldn't mind my gf having hobbies her own, even less if they coincide with mine (although I'm way more of a LOTRO person than a WoW guy ;) )...

However, I wouldn't enjoy her not having any time to spend with me because she has "more important stuff to do"!

Shaenightbird

Apr 7, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Shaenightbird said:
If I can get along with a guy in game, we'll do fine in the relationship. This theory has proven out several times now.
I just have to ask after reading this. If you'll do fine in your relationship by getting along in a game, why has it had to happen several times now? Or are you saying that it's never worked out where you get along in the game before? But if that's the case, how would you know if your theory was ever true, without it working out several times?

Ok Ok, Don't take the questions too seriously. Just an observation I made and couldn't help but to bring up. Just having a bit of fun.
This is assuming one is looking for a permanent relationship. I've never dated anyone longer than 4 years, max. And that's longer than a lot of the people I know stay in a relationship. People always seem to just get tired of each other after a while on both sides of the equasion. They last as long as they last, and then sort of fade out. At least that's how it works for me. I'm really good at moving on, I guess. Oh well, keeps things fresh!

sisterjinx

Mar 23, 2009
LOL I'm a gal so can't answer the poll but I had to laugh. Most of the guys I know, granted they are all MMO players, would KILL to have their wife/GF play their MMO with them. They are jealous of my hubby because we play together and don't give him "wife aggro".

On the subject of LET, you don't LET your BF do anything and he doesn't LET you do anything. Tolerate, accept, deal with, whatever but not LET. Even if I didn't play MMOs I'd have no problem with the hubby playing them. And the same went for when he didn't play. I was actually the first one to play DDO and mostly when he was working or sleeping but because I loved it so much he wanted to try it out. Even when he didn't play, he had no problem with me playing. We just made sure that I took gametime at times that were not our together time. :)

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
i find the question is pretty bad...
"would you LET your gf play mmo"
i wouldnt date someone if they didnt have enough freewill to make that decision for themselves. it would never be up to me in the first place as to wether i LET her play an mmo.

a better question would be "would you date a girl who plays MMOs?"
in which case. yes. maybe it could end up being an issue? but i doubt it and id be willing to find out.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure I couldn't stop her if I wanted. That said, it's already hard enough to get her off of Fallout 3 so I can use the 360 to play DVDs. :p

JCambria

Feb 27, 2009
shadowelancer said:
Only if she didnt go on the other side just so she could kill me.
That would totally be ideal for me. I'd love to compete against a girlfriend. In fact, when I was with my first girlfriend, we'd play games where we fought against each other. Was quite fun. That relationship only lasted a month, but bleh, it was high school.

At the same time, being on the same team would have its pros, as well. As someone else mentioned, teamwork, sharing, all that junk.

Would certainly be an interesting way to settle arguments. "YOU, ME, MORTAL KOMBAT, NOW!"

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Shaenightbird said:
Let? Oh hun, no, no! They don't "let" us do things. We don't "let" them do things. People do what they want. No controlling on either side.

I'm a gamer woman, and I now have a new criteria for dating, besides only dating guys who game~ They have to run with me a few times, because I can tell right away. If I can get along with a guy in game, we'll do fine in the relationship. This theory has proven out several times now. Gaming is about teamwork, sharing, etc. I can't live with a loot hog. No way! And then, I do play a lot, because I really like it. Non gamers...they just don't understand!
I'm incredibly happy for you.

That said, I agree, it's not my choice to make.
And if it was, obviously she can do whatever she pleases to the point of reason. Hell, I played one with her for a long time, and it was the best time I've ever had on the game before I quit, so...

I mean, the OP is just a silly question. Why ask a gaming forum (of predominantly males (some of which are starved of contact with females)) if they would let their girlfreind play a game that they probably play?

Obviously we'd approve, aside from people who follow stereotypes.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
I'm not fond of MMO's so I wouldn't encourage my girlfriend to play and become obsessed with one, but I wouldn't not let my girlfriend play a certain game, she has her right to do whatever it is she wants.(With limits)
However, the first time she breaks a date because there is a clan meeting, it's over.

kronoset

Jan 1, 2009
have you previously been dating abusive men? Fascists? Girls can do whatever the hell they goddamn want...don't need their partner to tell 'em what to do.

dirte

Mar 19, 2009
ok we get that we dont own the girl.

that was not the question!
its our toons, accounts that IMO was the question.
DDO : }

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Crazzee said:
Would I "Let"? I'm not a controlling bastard, my girlfriend can do whatever the hell she damn well pleases. If she spent too much time I would try to make her come outside or something, but I wouldn't force her at all.

Damn skippy. Both of my GF'S have played and still play WOW.