Poll: Would you mind if Dark Souls had an easy mode

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
I don't like Dark Souls or Demon's Soul. This post pretty much sums up my opinion on it: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.397964-Why-Dark-Souls-isnt-a-good-game-a-Hardcore-gamers-reaction-to-first-playthrough

I don't hate hard games, I just hate how Dark Souls does it. But, If it were just easier and still presented a challenge, I wouldn't mind so much. But, ever since the option of one was rumored, fans have been up in arms. But, was it really worth it? Would it be so bad if a game had an easy mode?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Alright...usually I won't do this unless we have been bombarded with the same question. This is one of those questions...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.396966-A-Dark-Souls-easy-mode-would-require-a-fundamental-change-in-level-design

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.396883-Poll-Will-you-ACTUALLY-be-playing-Dark-Souls-2-easy-mode-if-there-is-one

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.397092-current-souls-fans-would-an-easier-souls-game-make-you-not-want-to-play-it?page=1

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.396865-Whats-wrong-with-a-game-being-made-for-elitist-Dark-Souls?page=1

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.397443-So-the-Dark-Souls-Community-are-a-bunch-of-uppity-twats-supposedly?page=1 (with January 7th being the latest post)

All five of these threads are asking (directly or indirectly) exactly what you are asking and have all been done within the last month.

To answer your question: No, I could not care less if they added an easy mode. It doesn't affect me in any way, shape, or form at all if they patched an easy mode in so why should I care?

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
No, I wouldn't mind an easy mode, but it has to be more than a difficulty slider. I dare anyone here to suggest ideas on how to implement an easy mode without compromising what made the game great. Go on, I'll wait. Say, I'll go first.

I quit. There's no way that conventional ways of controlling difficulty that can be applied to Demons'/Dark Souls. Nevermind the fact that the game's more unforgiving, not straight-up difficult. The last difficult game I touched was Cave Story's hard mode. That's difficult.

Not Dark Souls. Sure, the enemies will rip you in half, but that's if you run into a group of enemies like an idiot and don't bother to read the tells of the enemies.

From pretty much has to spin off Dark Souls II if they want easy mode...

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
thesilentman said:
without compromising what made the game great. Go on, I'll wait. Say, I'll go first.
What made the game great?

How will a difficulty slider compromise that?

I've said it once and i'll say it again DARK SOULS ISN'T HARD.

Demon's Souls was hard, Dark Souls is only difficult if you're shit at it. Dying more than four times in any fight in Dark Souls isn't down to it being difficult it's down to the player using shit tactics.

Here we go without compromising anything.

New game?

Would you like it easy or hard....

Oooh look, the problem is solved. Easy mode for those that can't beat a Capra Demon in less than 5 attempts (let's face it, if they took more than 5 attempts, they NEED an easy mode) and a hard mode for everyone else.

I fail to see why people are bitching about it. The difficulty will still be there but with a mode for new players and returning players that suck arse at Souls games.

On Topic....

No, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if Dark Souls had an easy mode.

The mode I play will still be there.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Yes I would mind but if you want to know why you can go read the twenty other threads because Im tired of repeating myself

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
I don't know, would you mind if they turned a Mario game into a Modern Warfare-esque first person shooter? I mean, at least one of them.

Personally, if devs want to make an easy mode Dark Souls, let them. But it doesn't change the fact you're not getting what the series has been about up til now.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
thesilentman said:
I dare anyone here to suggest ideas on how to implement an easy mode without compromising what made the game great.
Decreased stamina usage
Player takes less damage, deals more damage
Enemy AI utilizes surprise attacks less often
Increased parry window
Wider angle for backstabs
Drop only half souls/humanity upon death

There are lots of ways you can make Dark Souls into an easier game. One of the easiest ways? Mirror the way Dragon's Dogma did it and simply decrease stamina usage and decrease damage dealt to the player when activating Easy Mode. And to avoid difficulty cheesing, every time you activate Easy Mode you have to start from the beginning(even if you activated Normal Mode and switched back to Easy).

I wouldn't care if they added an Easy Mode as long they do not tweak Normal Mode in any possible way.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
ShadowRatchet92 said:
I don't like Dark Souls or Demon's Soul. This post pretty much sums up my opinion on it: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.397964-Why-Dark-Souls-isnt-a-good-game-a-Hardcore-gamers-reaction-to-first-playthrough

I don't hate hard games, I just hate how Dark Souls does it. But, If it were just easier and still presented a challenge, I wouldn't mind so much. But, ever since the option of one was rumored, fans have been up in arms. But, was it really worth it? Would it be so bad if a game had an easy mode?

Well. As long as the people playing on easy cannot interact with the good gamers rest i don't perticularly have a problem with it . What i DO have a problem with , is people that buy the game , knowing that it's hard , then complain that it is hard . It's not like people didn't know , it was advertised as a hard game . So before buying the game you should ask yourself , do you like hard games ? Now if the answer is no , then the game isn't for you .

You see , not every game, is for everyone . And not every game HAS to be . Some games are aimed at certain groups . Now i know this means some people feel left out , but tough luck . Imagine if the reverse happened ? People complained that a game was too easy , and then expect developpers to impliment an Hard mode just to please these few people . That's crazy . And quite frankly reeks of entitlement .

It's like if i baked a cherry flavored cake . Told you that my cake was filled with cherries and offered you some . You say yes , i hand you a peice ,you take a bite and then throw the cake in my face and say :" I HATE CHERRIES! MAKE A NEW ONE OUT OF CHOCOLATE!" .

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
thesilentman said:
I dare anyone here to suggest ideas on how to implement an easy mode without compromising what made the game great. Go on, I'll wait.
The easy mode could have a tutorial that provides basic information about how the game works.

(before anyone gets mad, please note that Dark Souls is probably one of my favorite games)

I've said it before: the main source of difficulty in Dark Souls is not the gameplay. It's the lack of a good tutorial. For example, if you start as a Pyromancer, your Pyromancy Flame says that it scales damage with Intelligence, so you will probably spend a few levels on Intelligence. You will eventually realize that the damage scaling only applies to its secondary punch attack, which you will never use, ever. Thus, you are now effectively several levels lower than the game is balanced for and will remain so until you start the entire thing over.

Don't get me wrong; the game provides a reasonable challenge when played properly, but it's less "difficult" and more survival-oriented, if that makes sense.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
In this particular case, I don't think it should. The appeal of Dark Souls is mostly IN it's challenge; it would be more generic if it was toned down in the slightest, methinks.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Yes I would, because reasons. This thread has been done a thousand times, please go read one of the other ones where I might have bothered with a proper reply...

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I think if it were any easier you wouldn't feel as satisfied playing it. I believe it was EpicNameBro who put it best when describing how he had to eat food at a restaurant a certain way. If he had been allowed a choice, he would have altered the recipe and maybe wouldn't have experienced the meal the way it was intended. I know I'm messing up what was said but you get the basic message right?

It.. Dark Souls that is, kind of.. forces you to try something new, something different and difficult, the whole point being that challenge = reward.

Andrew Myers

Oct 4, 2012
I wouldn't really mind. The Developers need money in order to make these games. And if they need to add an easy mode then they have to do what they have to do. Besides just cancel out xbox live link ups and make enemies easier to kill. You don't have to make the whole game wimpy.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Don't care if the next Dark Souls has an easy mode. Having the option will not change a thing to the game.

However, I'll play the easy mode just to spite all of the people that would hate it.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
I didn't like the game enough to beat it again or buy DLC for it in the first place. So no, an easy mode wouldn't really bother me. I'm not sure why it would.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
It would be the ruin of all that is good in gaming.

I would tear my hair and rend my garments in fury.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Yes I would. Part of the appeal of dark souls is that it is hard and that you have to die dozens of times. It's actually part of the game. But after dying all those times you get to understand the game, you learn its moves, how to fight it's enemys and to recognize it's dangers. And because there is no easy mode you could have played the satisfaction is all the greater.

In short: Dying is part of Dark Souls and an easy mode would undermine that.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
The only way I could see any good coming from this would be if they developed the game using the same design philosophy, then made the "easy mode" based around the finished version of standard difficulty by changing certain values like damage etc. However, the whole point of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls was that it punished you for rushing in and trying to carve everything to pieces. You are supposed to take your time and explore the world, learning about it as you go and learn which enemies do what.

After my first playthrough, I learned the map completely and only die once per playthrough, because the Bed of Chaos is a terribly designed boss.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh boy, another one of these.
This is just what we need. Thanks, buddy. Real appreciated.