Poll: Would you miss cinemas if they were gone?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I love going to the movie theater. There's something about it that really pulls you in to the entire experience. It's true that things like the light of a texter, the vibration of a cell phone, the talking, laughter and, shouts of other movie-goers can be annoying as all Hell. The thing is, all things considered, I love the theater experience and would greatly miss theaters if they were to suddenly all go away.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
MammothBlade said:
I don't buy the argument that cinemas have to charge high markups on food to make up for the cost of films. A little overpriced is okay, if it's quality... but the prices most cinemas are asking really take the piss.
I read elsewhere that apparently their justification for those prices is because the actual cinema makes next to no money off of ticket revenue; it mostly goes to the studio that made the film.

I don't know how much truth there is in that but even then, for me, it does not justify charging £1.35 for a god damn Capri Sun.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
No. Ive not bothered going to the cinema in over 2 years. After you paid the huge price for a ticket there is always some arsehole in their to ruin it. An im fed up with arguing with these arseholes who think that talking loudly, using their phone or bring noisy children to movie is an ok thing to do.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Elmoth said:
I watched Sherlock Holmes 2 not too long ago. I was alone in there. And I couldn't for the life of me figure out what benefit cinema's have. The screen was big, but the projected image isn't, so it's just like watching something on a tv or computer but bigger and fuzzier. And the sound quality is better on my headphones. So that's why I don't go to cinema's any more. Even for movies I do want to see. Oh right, that's the only advantage. You can see the movie before it comes out on dvd/bluray.
You went to a crappy theater being run by people who didn't know what they were doing. 35 mm film has a higher resolution than any current digital format, and with digital projection, even 2K resolution (the lowest used in theaters; 4K is more common) has twice the resolution of bluray. You had the unfortunate experience of going to a theater with a projectionist who doesn't know how to focus the projector and a sound system that is either improperly set up, or once again screwed up by the projectionist. I remember when I went to see Twilight (don't judge me), and not only was it out of focus, but the projectionist had left the sound system switched onto some sort of mono mixdown. That was the last time I ever went to that theater.

MammothBlade said:
Yeah, I'd miss cinemas... but the thing is, they aren't dying. I don't look well upon piracy of new films, though it's an overstatement that it's killing cinema. If anything were to kill cinema, it would be the grossly inflated prices of cinema food. £4 for a small popcorn... outrageous. When they insist that people buy their massively overpriced food and stop people from bringing in their own, people are just going to see cinemas as too expensive and unwelcoming. I don't buy the argument that cinemas have to charge high markups on food to make up for the cost of films. A little overpriced is okay, if it's quality... but the prices most cinemas are asking really take the piss.
Unfortunately, the concessions are the only thing keeping them afloat -- well, that and Avatar level blockbusters that they can play for months on end. The way the contracts work in that industry, Hollywood takes the vast majority of the money from ticket sales on new releases, starting at an average of 70% (although they ask a bigger percentage for bigger releases), and then dropping a small amount each week. By the time the theater gets to keep most of the take, most movies are already out of cinemas. The popcorn and sodas kind of work on the sucker principle; they sell less than they would if they were priced reasonably, but they sell them for so far above cost that it only takes a few suckers to make the money back and then some. Considering that a lot of people actually do buy that stuff, it amounts to a tidy profit.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Oh yes, I would miss it. I actually do thoroughly enjoy seeing movies with large groups of people. The examples that OP posted are definitely crappy sides of it, but there are some movies that I wouldn't have enjoyed near as much without a good audience.

The Avengers wouldn't have been the same without all the cheering, Return of the King wouldn't have been the same if we all hadn't stood out in the lobby afterwards and talked about the incredible experience we had just had together, and I actually sort of enjoyed Transformers 2 thanks to everyone banding together to make fun of the movie.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Nope. I haven't been to one in years and Netflix pretty much covers all my movie needs.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
I would miss it, I love the cinema and it's a great place to go with friends.
I went to see the avengers in 3D for £5.50, or it was £3.50 normal. So yeah I would miss it, i love the atmosphere and I would enjoy having a home cinema so much.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
No. I couldn't be bothered to go to a cinema for ages. There's just too much too hate there. Markup on the Snacks is ridiculous. The overpriced drinks are mostly ice, which melts and leaves you with Water with a slight hint of Cola taste. The Air is too dry, i got told that it'd be less maintenance work and People buy more drinks.
Some People who work with the Hardware just don't give a shit; one of the Speakers blew up and now only makes scratchy noises throughout the movie? Who gives a fuck? Well, apparently i'm one of the few who does. Also, either my hearing somehow gets better or every cinema i went too in the past few years just can't be asked to maintain their Equipment properly. Sometimes it sounds like absolute crap.

My TV isn't as large as the big screen, but my sound system performs a lot better. Also i can quickly grab a normal priced Snack while the Advertisement runs and with some Movies i can even skip the Ads. In any Case, they don't last for 30 minutes.

Jun 11, 2008
For comedies yes for everything else especially thrillers and action movies not so much. I do like going to cinema but I hate talking in those kinds of movies especially but I don't mind it for comedies.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Esotera said:
I think the last time I personally paid to get into a cinema was a couple of years ago. It's too expensive & a superior experience can be had at home.

Also, of all the anti-piracy ads, this one is probably my favourite.

couldn't help being reminded of this

OT, Don't even have cinema near where I live, have to catch a train to watch anything and i don't miss it much, yeah it's probably better experience in the cinema but six quid for the film and them another six on the return train ticket that's twelve quid. I can get a love film subscription for a month with that kind of money.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
I don't care about the chains; I've not been to the cinema in my home town for... oh, a decade, at least. I detest it as an experience. Crap choice of films, general quality of mainstream film is shit, it's far too expensive, there's no interval, and the 3D bollocks adds nothing and gives me a headache.

The only time I've been to the cinema in the last ten years is a few times to see independent films and once for a documentary film festival in Sheffield, at an independent cinema.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Can't say I'd miss them at all. The last movie I saw in theaters was The Dark Knight. When you've got such outstanding theatrical showings as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles only with aliens rather than mutants, it just becomes impossible for me to justify spending $20-$30 to go see the crap that Hollywood spews out.

Optiluiz

Dec 30, 2010
Yes, I'm a future director. I live for the cinemas. How can people still believe piracy will bring theaters down when movies like The Avengers come out every year and rape everyone's wallet? Okay, it wasn't rape with The Avengers, but you get my point.

By the way, I know a lot of people actually prefer to watch movies at home on their computer or tv. Well, you're not watching the same movie. When a director makes a feature-length film he designs it to work IN a movie theater. The sound, the image, everything according a widescreen wall where the movie will be projected at high resolutions. When you watch at home, you never, ever, get the same result. There's a reason why they consider the Lumiere brothers to have invented cinema, when machines that recorded and projected video already existed. The brothers projected the movies in front of a large audience, having an actual show.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
because i enjoy paying half the price of a dvd, to sit down and watch a rated 15 film while listening to the sounds of 8 year olds screaming and having to take a mortgage out just to get a drink. Oh and did i mention how, sticky the floor and chairs are... i could go on for hours dang it.

and this is just not one cinema, its bloody well all the ones ive been to had this.

excuse me while i play a song on the worlds smallest violin.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I love seeing movies in theaters. Not just the film itself, but the experience. Especially when you're catching a midnight premiere. There's an instant camaraderie there.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I would, it makes for a great day out with my friends.
I also like being able to watch recent film releases that I'm anticipating on a huge screen with great sound quality to boot. Never once had a problem with audiences at the movies either because I don't go that often or I've just been really lucky. Loudest audience I've ever had was watching The Avengers a few days after it came out and even then we were all laughing at the same bits and quietly coo-ing at the action so it wasn't bad in the slightest.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I don't go to the cinemas that often but I must admit the rare times I have gone I have had a good time, especially when I went to see Sherlock Holmes: A game of shadows and Avengers assemble. So yeah, I think I would miss cimemas if they weren't there anymore, but I think it will be unlikely that they will close cimemas all together.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
I love going to the cinema I got a pay a month ticket so I got no excuse and if I use it more than once a week I am making my money back go more even better. + orange wednesdays and the card are combinable so I am a mate can get in pritty much (although not if you think about it 30p for the text, £14 a month) free.

But I hate it when they say less people are going to the cinema, Well of they are not I how much is it costs what was it last time I checked (forgot my cine world card) £7 £8, then 10 for a 3D film and then there is the snakes that I do not bother with and just get stuff from the tescos around the corner. But still it is not piracy it is the cost.

As for the advert I hate that add along with the orange add that is usually after sign...although I probally hate it more cause I see it multiple times a week.