Poll: Would you pay $250 to pay for a proper military burial for someone you do not know?

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Mike Richards said:
While I'd like to say yes on principle alone as it stands I've barely got $250 to spend on anything, so there's that.

Not to mention that unfortunately you have to pick your battles when it comes to supporting charitable causes. Very few people are capable of pitching in for every good cause that comes their way, so most of us have to prioritize the things that for whatever reason mean the most to us. Quite frankly there are other matters I would see to first, not because I don't value this idea, but simply because they either are or are related to things that I'm very passionate about.

So, no, but not because I don't want to, I guess.
Much of this. First, I don't have the money to give on that scale. Secondly, when I do have even a small amount of money I can give to a charity I tend toward assisting the living before the dead. Honor and respect are fine and well but the dead are gone from us and whatever an individual may believe happens after that occurs, there seems to be a general consensus among all beliefs that they are not here anymore to care about such a gesture. Putting food in an empty stomach or a warm coat on a someone who is shivering or a mosquito net for someone who is fearful of the swarm around them giving them malaria seems to me a much more immediate "help" to do for another human being I don't know, rather than "helping" a human being who is no longer alive to benefit.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I know a lot of people care about this sort of stuff but I am a pragmatist and once someone is dead they certainly don't care anymore what happens to their remains. They may have cared in life, sure, but not anymore.
When I am dead they can feed me to the local wildlife for all I care. Of course for the sake of my family I wouldn't want that to happen, but if there was no one around to be upset by the idea people could do whatever they wanted with me.

Aug 1, 2010
Absolutely not.

It isn't a matter of knowing the person, it's a matter of not believing in burials at all.

I simply feel we waste absurd amounts of time and money on corpses.

I understand that it's largely for the sake of those grieving, but they should be able to have a satisfying service without paying large quantities.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
As much as I hate the concept of military and wish for world peace, I still believe everyone should be allowed to have a proper burial. So a few dollars donated here and there for burials I see no problem with.

BaronUberstein

Jul 14, 2011
Wish I had money to donate. >_<

EDIT: Realized my post was low content. Yes, yes I would donate that much if I had the money available. These people served our country and possibly gave the ultimate sacrifice. I'm not a frothing-at-the-mouth patriot, but I'm still a patriot.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Quaxar said:
Miss G. said:
We don't even have a military
Well you have a navy, don't you? Although I imagine it is quite hard to be in it what with only 5 ships and three aircraft.
We're a dot on the globe with only around 350,000 people, so while our Defense Force (like so many other things) may not be much in comparison to others, given that their member number is pretty much equivalent to the population of one of our islands, that's still a lot to us.

EDIT:
OT: I can't imagine many people would shell out 250 quid for something like that. Hell, I can't even imagine many would give 100 quid, even if it'd make them the recipient of the first ever kitten-puppy amalgamation.
What this needs is some kind of kickstarter to have them done in some sort of mass military burial.
The rent is too damn high. Maybe the US government could/should, as part of their military spending, just place them in Arlington or somewhere with their fellow soldiers based on the dating on the urns since these people have no one to mourn them. Or try your Kickstarter idea.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Absolutely not.

It isn't a matter of knowing the person, it's a matter of not believing in burials at all.

I understand that it's largely for the sake of those grieving, but they should be able to have a satisfying service without paying large quantities.
In this case you're not even really helping the grieving since no-one will know if their loved ones are buried in an unknown grave or simply left in a storage building. They might not even have any family or friends living for all we know. So yeah, nothing magical will happen just because you or I give away 250 here. We'll just be 250 poorer and there will be one less urn filled with unknown ashes. in storage.

It hardly seems worth it.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Much as I'd pay for one myself (think I will, actually)... I'm of a mind that we should be taking care of this out of senior officer pay. Nothing too hard-hitting, but one "urn" per officer per year would take care of this pretty quickly. I've never met a senior officer who wouldn't do this one if it were brought up publicly.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
If I had enough money to where donating that much money wouldn't be a big deal then I might do it. However, considering that I'm not one of those lucky bastards who have lots of disposable income and aren't bother by spending that much money on stuff like this I would not pay that much.

MrDumpkins

Sep 20, 2010
omega 616 said:
I don't think I would go whole hog and pay $250 to bury a guy I don't know. If there was a dude who had done some impressive stuff, I'd certainly throw the dude a bone if I could.

I don't mean to nasty but the guys who were the first to charge off the boats on D day, didn't actually do much... They allowed other soldiers to advance but all they did was die (was like "operation meat shield" ). If a guy did something that made you go "Daym, dude is THE manly man!" then I think he should have a big ass ceremony.

Although, I think people in WW1 AND WW2 are fucking hero's but these modern day wars seem more like bullies.
This is the most unbelievable thing I have ever read. Do you understand what those soldiers gave up? Everything. They'll never get to experience what a full life is, they might not have wanted to be in that battle, or the war. But their sacrifice was real.

Think about what you have, what you're going to have. Now imagine giving it all up, never getting to experience what life has to offer. Not everyone amounts to something, but everyone has the potential. They gave that potential up so that others could have it instead.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
If nobody wants the dead, smelly body, nobody wants the funeral service.

And they most certainly don't want it propped on their fucking wall. So no.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Its important for us to pay our respects to these people but i dont think paying £250 for a funeral that noone is going to go to is the right way about it

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
Absolutely not.

Same feelings here.

I despise burial rites and the supposed symbolisim associated with it. I'm glad knowing when I die some medical students will get to poke and prod at my corpse and it will actually have a commercial benefit to society - this is after my functioning organs have been donated, potentially saving lives.

I find the disposal of bodies in this day and age to be unethical.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Miss G. said:
Quaxar said:
Miss G. said:
We don't even have a military
Well you have a navy, don't you? Although I imagine it is quite hard to be in it what with only 5 ships and three aircraft.
We're a dot on the globe with only around 350,000 people, so while our Defense Force (like so many other things) may not be much in comparison to others, given that their member number is pretty much equivalent to the population of one of our islands, that's still a lot to us.
True, I just find it fantastic that a whole country's defense consists of three little propeller planes and five ships. Of which in 2006 apparently only 2 boats and a plane were operational and also there were no trained pilots.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
If I made really good money I might consider paying for one or two but 250$ is a lot of money for me. Also im not really spiritual or anything and have always felt like funerals and burials are more for the families of the deceased. If these veterans are unclaimed it probably means they don't have any family.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
MrDumpkins said:
omega 616 said:
I don't think I would go whole hog and pay $250 to bury a guy I don't know. If there was a dude who had done some impressive stuff, I'd certainly throw the dude a bone if I could.

I don't mean to nasty but the guys who were the first to charge off the boats on D day, didn't actually do much... They allowed other soldiers to advance but all they did was die (was like "operation meat shield" ). If a guy did something that made you go "Daym, dude is THE manly man!" then I think he should have a big ass ceremony.

Although, I think people in WW1 AND WW2 are fucking hero's but these modern day wars seem more like bullies.
This is the most unbelievable thing I have ever read. Do you understand what those soldiers gave up? Everything. They'll never get to experience what a full life is, they might not have wanted to be in that battle, or the war. But their sacrifice was real.

Think about what you have, what you're going to have. Now imagine giving it all up, never getting to experience what life has to offer. Not everyone amounts to something, but everyone has the potential. They gave that potential up so that others could have it instead.
Pretty much this, don't think most of those guys had a choice to be in the first wave, many of them probably didn't even chose to be in the war. Also given the plan someone had to fulfill that role, that's why we sent so many. We knew they'd have machineguns and mines on the beaches with artillery providing support so we knew that we'd lose plenty on hitting the beaches. Those men who died did the job they were assigned, took the losses and still pushed forward. How many people on seeing a nearby transport explode or friendly soldiers getting cut down would try to run or hide? These guys who hit the beach were brave enough to see hell on Earth and run through it. They are deserving of everyone's respect.

OT: If it was from a war in which we were the good guys like WW1 or WW2 or most anything up until the invasion of Iraq in 2003. From that point forward however we were just bullies and I can't support that.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
MrDumpkins said:
omega 616 said:

Pretty much this, don't think most of those guys had a choice to be in the first wave, many of them probably didn't even chose to be in the war. Also given the plan someone had to fulfill that role, that's why we sent so many. We knew they'd have machineguns and mines on the beaches with artillery providing support so we knew that we'd lose plenty on hitting the beaches. Those men who died did the job they were assigned, took the losses and still pushed forward. How many people on seeing a nearby transport explode or friendly soldiers getting cut down would try to run or hide? These guys who hit the beach were brave enough to see hell on Earth and run through it. They are deserving of everyone's respect.

OT: If it was from a war in which we were the good guys like WW1 or WW2 or most anything up until the invasion of Iraq in 2003. From that point forward however we were just bullies and I can't support that.
I'm with you on the WW2 thing. They gave it all up and a lot of them did want to be in the war. We (Americans) were pissed off about Pearl Harbor. No one really chose to be in the first wave (maybe some exceptions.

The thing is, and maybe I am a bit biased here having extended family in the military, but a lot of these more recent conflicts where we were just the bullies, many of these soldiers did not even want to be over there just as much as anyone else. So I think that they should be given some form of honors for that.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
no its just bones my corpse is going to science if i don't become an immortal evil god sometime between now and the end of the world why would i pay for a ceremony i think is a load of crap
now that's not to say i don't respect the sacrifice soldiers the world round make for their various nations i just think a full on funeral is a bit over the top for an empty shell you can display all the respect you need with a memorial wall get all the remains and tip them in the wall and plaque the wall with the names and stuff would come out a hell of a lot cheaper and would be more accessible for Anzac day or the like