Poll: Would you play a game about non-Americans?

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
What on Earth are you talking about? Americans don't get nearly enough exposure in any of the significant mediums these days. I'm fed up of watching foreign films and playing as a Japanese person saving the world from yet another apocalypse, I just want some good old-fashioned Americans fighting for what's right.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Er, in cod you play as the British, Russian and Canadian (I think) and GTA you had Niko and Claude (Possibly). Come to think of it allot of games have protagonists that aren't from America.

But yeah, allot of modern shooters use Americans, ignoring other country's. I'd like to see a game where you play as the Canadian mountain police or GIGN.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Evilpigeon said:
Games are strange because 'Western' games are mostly north american. Especially when you're looking at the most mainstream end of things. I wonder whether part of the reason american games are so dominant in other cultures but not vice versa is due to people being very used to a presentation/story telling/ design ethic etc influenced by american culture - most countries are familiar with american films and television - whereas other countries don't have the same advantage going the other way, into one of the biggest markets in the world.
I think you are right. As a European it seems to me that American culture is the closest thing we have to an international culture. It gets a little annoying sometimes with references to things that don't exist outside the US as something universal. What is Halloween and why do the denizens of Azeroth care about it? How come The Systems Alliance in Mass Effect is made up entirely of Americans?

But there is a significant influence coming from Asia, Eastern and Western Europe as well, so I think in the end pop-culture will become a mix of everything.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Yeah. I play skyrim, Oblivion, World of warcraft, cod 4 had British guys, lord of the rings games, starwars games, fable games. You Brits act like every game only has Americans, oh and Assassins creed, there are plenty of games that don't focus on Americans. You just like to focus on the games with Americans.
Antonio Fuentes said:
To answer the OP's question. I wouldn't mind AT ALL play foreign characters.

Also, I must say this (picture worth a thousand words)

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/37890829368527419901281.jpg/]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us [http://imageshack.us]
Yeah but the U.S. is the only important country there.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I would certainly play games where the protagonists werent Americans, and I already do. For example everytime I play Killing floor Im playing a Britan. When I played Saboteur I was an Irishman. When I play multiplayer Battlefield 3 half the time Im Russian

That all said, if were talking strictly modern military shooters (MMS) I think it would be nice to change it up a bit. A MMS revolving around Israel, Canada, or Spetsnaz (Essentially russian special forces) would be one I might actually buy (assuming it wasnt just a map pack)

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
I'd love to see more protagonists who aren't American. Admittedly I'm British though so I don't really care if my player character is American. While you're at it why don't we get rid of every game having a love interest for the main character. Also get rid of quick time events.

Nibblitman

Dec 30, 2010
Well I would be fine with non-American characters but really I would rather they were in a different game than just Call of(not american) Duty. There are lots of options with making the game based on something other than soldiers.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Antonio Fuentes said:
To answer the OP's question. I wouldn't mind AT ALL play foreign characters.

Also, I must say this (picture worth a thousand words)

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/37890829368527419901281.jpg/]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us [http://imageshack.us]
Well... it's more typical to call the combination of North and South America "The Americas" or "The Western Hemisphere".

Meanwhile "America" by itself is accepted as a shortened form of "The United States of America".

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
What? Call of Duty 2, one of my favorite war shooters involves you playing as a non-american 2/3rds of the game. Of course I would and do as well, who cares? I think the industry sees american protagonists as selling better, but I certainly dont care. actually it may make it more interesting if anything.

BamWam

Jun 29, 2011
I dislike your choice of wording for your poll. I constantly play games with foreign characters. (hint: I'm Australian.)
But yes, a non-American game would be nice.