Poll: Would you play a sheik led zelda game?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Not as Sheik, just as Zelda. A less classical princes version of Zelda obviously, but Zelda nonetheless. She doesn't need to be a Tetra like individual, as that wouldn't really leave anywhere else for her character to go. Just shake the whole destiny thing up a bit.

Not that that'll ever happen, seeing as Nintendo is pretty strict in keeping their characters labeled using crazy glue.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Nope. I like playing as Link because he has a variety of items/weapons which helps him on his journey, and are required to solve puzzles and defeat bosses.

What does Sheik have? Kunais? Even though they are cool, that's all she really has.

Unless the game you're talking about is very combat focussed and not on the solving a puzzle thing, in which I wouldn't be interested in it in the first place.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I don't play Zelda, and when I first saw this post I thought you were talking about a Middle-Eastern Sheikh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh

And yes I'd totally play that.

Privateatkky

Feb 4, 2015
Personally, no. Link has always been the protagonist of the Zelda franchise. As far as I'm concerned if you aren't playing as Link, it isn't really a Zelda game. I wouldn't mind playing as Sheik for part of a Zelda game though. For example: Link has been captured by Ganon and you need to play as Sheik to rescue him. The player could then resume the game as Link.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
nightmare_gorilla said:
for example you could either use magic to separate the two entirely or you could use the idea of split personalities, through magic or some kind of traumatic injury her mind splits into the two personas of sheik and zelda but isn't aware of it and sets about rescuing Zelda as sheik totally oblivious. or you go cerebral and have zelda either injured or poisoned and sheik has to work through her memories to try and bring her back to consciousness.
I'd definitely play a Zelda game where you play as Sheik. The idea of the split between them is where I think it'd go ideally though - maybe not split personalities but at least having the option to switch between Princess Zelda and Sheik-Zelda, each balanced towards a different style of play for tackling various dungeons. Hell, I'd even go so far as to suggest a third form based on Zelda's more warlike play in, say, Hyrule Warriors. You could have Sheik work as the faster, more acrobatic playstyle that focus on gathering Link's traditional array of gadgets like the Hookshot and Boomerang, Princess Zelda for bow and magic-based play and War Princess mode for slower, more combat-heavy play. It's not that common a way of doing things, but games like Assassin's Creed: Liberation managed the multiple playstyles approach so it could be done. Depends how adventurous Nintendo wanted to be though, I guess, and I don't know if we'll see it (or even a female Link) any time soon.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Yeah, I'd be for it. Though it'd be a weird transition for an entire game considering core Zeldas are based on puzzles and items.
Maybe it could work like Trine and throw in Ganondorf or Ganon as another form to alternate into for solving puzzles which would also force the 3 pieces of the Triforce to work together, share a body. You could easily maintain Link's silence if Zelda and Ganon were bickering over trying to control Link and his ability set.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sure, why not?

They should really consider putting that character back into the game seeing that she is still in Smash Bros despite only appearing in Ocarina of Time (I guess this would imply Ike awell but he's not my favourite and I'm suprised that he's still in it. Also no this doesn't apply for main character that appear in a single game like Duck Hunt Duo , Shulk or Ness since Sheik was a side character, not main).

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
I'd do it as long as it wasn't just a re-skin. Take the chance to mix up the formula, focus on magic or stealth or something, go wild with the brand for funsies.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
As far as I?m concerned, a Sheik (or Tetra)-led Zelda is almost inevitable. If not as a main game, at least a spin-off (now that I think about it, didn?t even fucking Tingle get a headlining game?!). Both Sheik and the eponymous princess (or queen, in Hyrule Warriors or some other game, I heard) are already playable characters in Smash Bros. anyway, so you could argue that sets a precedent.

And there have been games where you don?t need to save Zelda and/or stop Ganon. Even Mario games have stepped out of the Mushroom Kingdom and the typical ?save-Peach-from-Bowser? plotline, including one game that did the whole ?swap-the-character-roles? fairly well (Luigi?s Mansion).

And God knows Nintendo need to take some fucking risks at the moment.

Naraku578

Dec 3, 2014
Would it still have LOZ styled combat/exploration? I probably would as long as its not sneaking/stealth based.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
What diversity nuts need to understand is that you can't shoehorn it in and expect people to go with it. You have to present a good idea and let it stand on its own merits.

There are many ways in which Sheik could be the main character of a Legend of Zelda game and easily make it superior to a traditional title. Liberal use of stealth easily comes to mind, as well as a variety of acrobatic puzzles, use of smoke/shadow, magic golden light mechanics, and lots of magic. All the ninja stuff, because Sheik is a ninja, and that is awesome. Link wouldn't do most of that stuff unless the stealth somehow involved a maze or fortress and getting thrown out of a palace or locked into jail by guards like always. He's a warrior type. Taking cover behind a steel shield and pushing around huge stone blocks is his thing. Sheik has to play somewhat differently, and the rest of the game should reflect that.

There has to be good reasoning and gameplay behind who and what the characters are. Having a gender swap where Zelda just puts on the standard adventure gear, and having to go rescue link whom somehow derped himself into jail/irrelevance is an obviously dumb shoehorn.

Yes, I would want to play a Sheik LoZ game.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
If it isn't just The Legend of Zelda: But With Girls then yeah, I'd be perfectly fine with it. Sheik and Zelda are incredibly different characters to Link. Simply putting Zelda in Link's shoes and having a 'Prince Link' you need to save would be too easy and would suffer from what the Ghostbusters reboot is suffering from in that it's just the original with a gender swap.

So yeah, more Captain Toad and less Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon.