Poll: Would you play Deus Ex Human Revolution if it started Adriana Jensen instead of Adam Jensen?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Chemical Alia said:
I don't see why not. Other than not really liking Deus Ex in the first place, and only playing about two hours of it, I mean. I would prefer some other plot device than "rescuing my boyfriend" as that sounds lame (was that actually the plot?), but whatevs.
Actually it was trying to figure out who is responsible for fucking with your company. The rescuing the girlfriend part only happened later (at the time, it was assumed they were dead.)

OT: Dont see why not, but the boss fights would still suck...

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Drakmorg said:
As many others have said, I don't see why not.
But wouldn't she have to be called 'Eve Jensen' to keep the same metaphor going and leave everything virtually unchanged?
Damnit. I was just about to say that.
As for the question, yes I would. I really don't see how that would discourage me from playing it.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Might want to change "Adriana" to "Eve" to keep the not-so-subtle name symbolism, but I honestly don't see why not. 'Course, might run a little reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell...

Edit: I didn't read the article so I wouldn't know, but wouldn't FemShep count toward that?

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
As someone who generally prefers to play as women I'd say hell yes. I really wish more games did an ME and recorded all the dialogue for both a male and female character. ME felt like such a better story (but subtley) as FemShep and I can imagine DE: HR being similar. And as someone who is also sick of the angry, gravel-voiced male protagonist; yes yes yes to a female version of Jensen.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Hell no,
cyber cooking discussions, the search for the best looking robot prosthetics and having to search a male guy to rescue the day doesn`t sound like gameplay fun. Since playing as a woman would change everything in terms of gameplay i`m glad i`m able to play manly missions.
It`s for the better that there is no Adriana Jensen.

To answer this question serious for all the pc people or those who don`t get a joke:
I don`t mind, i would have played it because it`s a great game... and i love watching female pixel tits and asses in third person.

Kellen Touey

Apr 13, 2012
I would love something like that, personally, just because it's very different. I honestly can't think of a single mainstream game with a strong female protagonist who doesn't look like a supermodel.

prowll

Aug 19, 2008
Is it a good game? Then sex doesn't matter. Motivations ect would be roughly the same.

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
for what? i dont get the appeal, its the same story, its the same gameplay, its the same shitty boss battles, the only thing that change is the sex (which you cant see because its an fps), so there isnt any point for it really (exept people saying: see we arent sexist, we are playing as a woman, yes its the same story and we only sex change some people but the MC has boobs so we arent sexists)

if you say: do you want a female protagonist in the next DE then sure

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
As applies to all video games, I would much rather be staring at a female ass and hearing a female voice for 10 hours than a male one.

Granted the game is in first person a lot of the time, but there's plenty of third-person action as well.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
natster43 said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Well written characters are just well written characters. Gender is arbitrary.

You know how you can make the industry have more strong female protagonists?

1) Make a male character like you usually do, with all the strenghts and faults.
2) Keep their actions and how they are dressed exactly the same.
3) Draw boobs on them.

Strong female protagonist.
And now I am picturing Marcus Fenix from Gears of War with tits. I hope you are happy.
OT: Sure I would play that.
Somehow I just can't picture that.

I really really can't.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
Sonicron said:
kman123 said:
Don't see the harm in that. Wouldn't change the fact it was my GOTY.
Same here. What fascinated me about the game were the setting and gameplay, not the fact that my protagonist sounded like he smoked 11 packs a day. Therefore I see no reason why the game couldn't work with a female lead.
DragonsAteMyMarbles said:
Honestly? I think I'd prefer it. It was difficult to take Adam seriously when taking the "nice" or "charming" dialogue options with that voice.
MC1980 said:
Only if her voice would be similar to Adams, in that she'd sound like she smokes 3 packs a day.
dancinginfernal said:
But then we don't get the ridiculously gravelly voice!

I never asked for this!
What I find funny is that everyone complains about how silly Adam's voice sounds, when that's actually just what the actor sounds like.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Lazy said:
What I find funny is that everyone complains about how silly Adam's voice sounds, when in actually that's just what the actor sounds like.
Can't really be arsed to check if the guy is a heavy smoker or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.
In any case, it was never meant as a complaint, merely a statement of fact. Jensen's voice does sound like a lifetime of smokes and scotch, and I like it - it's just not a criterion of decisive quality for me when it comes to evaluating the game as a whole.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I would play it because the gender doesn't matter. If you put a female in the very same role, she is symbolically male anyhow. Thus the change would be pointless as the story is not crafted around the notion of gender so much as it is around an archetype.

If you want to know why females in AAA games tend to be "21 year old bikini models with something to prove", that's because that's exactly what happens when you make a female symbolically male. AAA games are constructed using various tropes and trappings that imply the character is male. Simply gender swapping is a shallow attempt at hiding the obvious in this case. The better question is why don't you find publishers willing to risk tens of millions of dollars on a game and story built from the ground up for a female protagonist?

The difference between the hero's journey and the heroine's journey are small but important. Fundamentally, the difference between the two is that the heroine's journey is rife with conflict between masculine and feminine and the turning point in the story is the heroine's becoming a goddess and the conclusion is found when the rift between masculine and feminine is healed. There are a thousand excellent stories to be told using the less familiar heroine's journey variation of the monomyth, but these stories are not likely to generate exciting set pieces that can be lifted for a promo reel.

To put it another way, consider a few big games of the last several years. Mass Effect allowed you to play the game as a male or female but in the end did choice of gender really impact anything in the story? Perhaps a few reactions here and there. In effect, switching genders simply altered the set of potential romantic partners and even then they were largely interchangeable as far as notable beats in the story go. Or Skyrim - gender doesn't matter in the slightest beyond base cosmetics. You are treated no differently, and the only stat that changes is a tiny alteration in movement speed (with the males being insignificantly faster). Simply swapping genders in this case does not make the game a story about a female - it's a story about a hero who just happens to be female.

In my view, there difference there is notable.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Not so long as the game is still built around stealth making all non-stealth builds worthless.
The boss fights were not as bad as the stealth focus.
If they made it possible to be a tanking, melee badass, then yes.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Some of my fave protagonists have been female, Jade from Beyond Good and Evil, April from The Longest Journey, Rynn from Drakan Order of the Flame, Kate from Syberia (Though she wasn't as interesting as April)......so no, I wouldn't mind at all.