Poll: Would you play Deus Ex Human Revolution if it started Adriana Jensen instead of Adam Jensen?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I'd have been MORE likely to play it- I always take the female characters if available, and it'd be nice to just have the story written around her for once.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Honestly? I think I'd prefer it. It was difficult to take Adam seriously when taking the "nice" or "charming" dialogue options with that voice.

kanyewhite

Sep 2, 2012
That would actually been more interesting. Think about it, if Megan was still a woman, and that would make "Adriana" or whatever one of, if not the most interesting LGBT character in all of games.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
Well written characters are just well written characters. Gender is arbitrary.

You know how you can make the industry have more strong female protagonists?

1) Make a male character like you usually do, with all the strenghts and faults.
2) Keep their actions and how they are dressed exactly the same.
3) Draw boobs on them.

Strong female protagonist.
Some very good points but I would slightly disagree. I believe that gender has a lot to do with a well written character motivations, decision making, and general presentation. What I would like to see is a female character who's sexuality isn't the #1 focus. No Laura Croft saying "lets get out of these wet clothes."

That's not to say that sexuality should be ignored, it just should not be the defining aspect of a character male or female. I do agree that you that if you wrote a woman with the same depth and thought process of a male protagonist it would be great because well written characters in general are great.

Women and men have different experiences in life based on their gender. I would like game writers to draw on some of those female experiences that don't have to do with being a stripper, but with being a genuine, flawed human being.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Redoing the game with a female protagonist would be silly. But if it was a female character instead from the beginning of the game...Well, 2 sides here.

On one side, there's something awesome here. It would be exactly as good, and refreshing to see a decent female character. That a big bonus.

On the other hand, there's a certain amount of metaphor in Deus Ex revolving around the character being named, "Adam". I'm not sure that naming her something like Eve instead would properly translate that metaphor. So really, you would have to weigh how effectively a female protaganist could communicate the metaphor, versus how nice it is to have a real female character. I'm not sure.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Human Revolution is a mostly 1st-person game so changing the gender of the main character wouldn't really have changed anything. The voice acting would have changed yeah but the core gameplay wouldn't have changed in the least. I would definitely have played as a lady though to answer the question.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Shadowstar38 said:
Well written characters are just well written characters. Gender is arbitrary.

You know how you can make the industry have more strong female protagonists?

1) Make a male character like you usually do, with all the strenghts and faults.
2) Keep their actions and how they are dressed exactly the same.
3) Draw boobs on them.

Strong female protagonist.
Not necessarily. Just because a good character is female doesn't make them a good female character. To paraphrase Extra Credits, a good female character is a character that female traits and explores how they interact with others and the setting. Case in point, Beyond Good and Evil. Jade is a good female character because female traits, primarily motherhood, are intrinsic to her character, motivations, and actions. If you wanted to make her character male, you would need to change the game around some to compensate for it,

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Gearhart said:
I guess it would come too close to the Ghost in the Shell anime to avoid any calls of plagarism, there's nothing wrong with a female protagonist but a carbon copy of Jensen's personality in female form may feel a little to similar with Maj. Kusanagi in that series.

Both cyborgs, both reserved, both in their 30s, both with issues connecting or identifying with the rest of humanity...blah,blah,blah etc.

The main difference I suppose to OP's idea is that the creator of the series had little interest in drawing anything other than petite women in their early 20s as main characters. So a 30-40 year old female's brain inhabits a mechanical shell of the form of a 20 year old - whereas I never saw anything like that level of tech in Deus Ex.

Anyone else see the similarities between Deus Ex HR and GitS?

I always found it odd that those two cops in the precinct talked about every other movie in the genre EXCEPT this one.
You'd have to go a bit further than having a female cyborg to be accused of outright plagiarizing Ghost in the Shell. You'd have to rip off specific plot points and dialog as well. Just because two characters share traits doesn't make it plagiarism. At the same time yes, I see similarities between Deus Ex and Ghost in the Shell, it's kind of hard not too.

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Why not?

Boob augmentation!
Ohh your avatar fits so well with this thread xD

OT: Yeah I would but that plot sounds a little bland and uninteresting, I don't see why the plot couldn't be the same, the only problem would be having to take out that awesome cut-scene of Adam getting augmented... that might be a little over the top xD

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Yes.

I'm sorry for the short post, but really, there's not much else to it. Call her Eve Jensen and everything would be dandy.
If someone could inform me why this would be a problem I would like to hear it because I honestly can't see it right now.

Also, if they didn't give her the SillyShades it would be even better.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Don't you mean Eve Jensen? :p

OT: Yeah, I would, because I've gender bended a few times on games that let me. It's all about the roleplaying.

Unless you mean that there wouldn't be a gender option... then probably no, because nothing get's on my nerve in an MMO more than my favorite class not having an option to be male. Honest, even the bland "I just got hit by a mass fireball so I twitched a bit" combat of WoW isn't as bad as the "you have to play as a barely-dressed female if you want to play a Mage" of Vindictus.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
If someone would not play an awesome game just because the protagonist doesn?t have a penis or look like they were designed for them to jack off too they need a good kick in the head.

(although Eve would be a better name because it fits the theme)

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Who cares? Male, female, sentient blob - it doesn't really matter when you compare the game to its predecessor. It has some nifty & neat ideas, but it severely lacks on execution.

The original Deus Ex is ugly as your living room carpet after an extended beer pong night-out, but it was a splendidly splendid game.

Deus Ex: Revolting Humans had much nicer looks but lacked on pretty much everything that made the original a remarkable title. I find it appalling to splash buckets of make-up on a week-old bloated corpse.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
The way they presented Adam was cool. To me, there's nothing that says that changing his gender would have made him any less cool.

I'm all for Adriana. Even if it would mean losing Toufexis's great voice.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
I voted "No" because if it wasn't Adam then the game would lose the narrative cohesion and symbolism behind the name Adam.

(The whole Biblical Adam ---> JC (Jesus Christ)

So if it was "Adriana" then, for the Deus Ex series, it wouldn't be as artistic.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Chemical Alia said:
I don't see why not. Other than not really liking Deus Ex in the first place, and only playing about two hours of it, I mean. I would prefer some other plot device than "rescuing my boyfriend" as that sounds lame (was that actually the plot?), but whatevs.
Kinda sorta. It opened with an attack that ended up with Jensen's quasi-/ex-girlfriend (I never could figure out the exact status of their relationship, I think they broke up because she was feeling guilty that she used his DNA to make a few clones that end up as the protags in the other DE games) being kidnapped, and you do end up finding and "rescuing" her, but the plot is more driven by "find out who attacked and why" instead of "go rescue the chick".

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Yes because then I wouldn't have to hear that gravely voice >_<

But honestly, I never felt more immersed because Adam was a guy.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Powerman88 said:
I was just reading Shamus's latest experienced points and it really got me thinking; would a AAA action game work with a female character who is not a 21 year old bikini model with something to prove?

What if you had a game where 32 year old security expert Adriana Jensen lost her nerdy scientist boyfriend in a terrorist attack and needed to scour the globe unraveling a mysterious conspiracy and searching for her lost love? Would you play that?

I would. What do you think?
No question. I'd easily play as a female. They'd need to rewrite the story a little (and maybe have the boyfriend be more of a character than Jensen's girlfriend was) but it could obviously work.

Now about those boss battles.