Poll: Would you play Deus Ex Human Revolution if it started Adriana Jensen instead of Adam Jensen?

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Sure, Adam Jensen's soul purpose is so I can make "I never asked for this!" and augmented sunglasses jokes.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
I have no problem with female main characters in any game, but I would for Deus Ex: Human Revolution specifically.

Why? 'Cause I liked Adam Jensen's voice. It had a "nice-guy badass" vibe, with just enough grittiness. To have Human Revolution run with a female protagonist means I lose the male protagonist, and in this case lose Adam.

I do not mean that as a form of gender discrimination, but rather as a "don't retroactively change Adam from M to F" thought process. In a sequel to Human Revolution, I would fully support the idea of a woman being the main character (but as others have mentioned, she better have her own built-in sunglasses).

Edit:
Chicago Ted said:
A new Deus Ex game with a female protagonist?

Yes.

A redo of Deus Ex Human Revolution with a female protagonist?

No.

I don't know why, but this is my gut reaction. I liked Adam Jensen. I liked almost every bit about him. Therefore, changing anything about him really is enough to give me hesitation.

Take this more as a "I like him as he was and wouldn't want to see them retroactively change anything about him" notion rather than a "I don't want to play a female protagonist one". I just feel that changing anything about the character at this point would only cause him to lose appeal for me.
It would seem that what I was getting at has been ninja'd lol :p

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Is there any reason not to?

Would I enjoy it as much?
Depends on how well done the female character is. If she's as awesome as the male one, and her male boyfriend basically the same as the normal male's girlfriend, then probably about the same. Change something, and I'd have to play it to be able to tell.

Geth Reich

Sep 16, 2012
There should be neither Adam nor Adriana-only Geth Jensen.

With a synthetically grizzled voice module.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Yes, but I demand that she have the female equivalent of Adam's gravelly voice.
She could be voiced by Scarlett Johansson. It would be an epic win for me because I adore Scarlett Johansson :)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
So it starts with Adriana Jensen...
...does she later become Adam Jensen?

I think I would play that game.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Just modelswap Jensen for a custom female one.

Yes it'll still have the Adam Jenson voice, but... it's the Adam Jensen voice.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
redmoretrout said:
The truth is there are differences between men and women, creating a female character devoid of all feminine aspects and characteristics only serves to make the character seem plastic and boring.
Out of curiosity, can you give me some examples of feminine aspects and characteristics?

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Of course, why would anyone have a problem with it?

Go for it.

I want Jennifer Hale or Claudia Black to voice. No discussions.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
It wouldn't really change anything.

People massively inflate the influence gender has on the world. It only matters when we say it matters.

danon

Jul 20, 2009
Can't quite grasp why it matters. As long as the gameplay mechanics doesn't change i could play any game as anything. Kind of don't care about the main characters story anyway.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Again, why not?

Decently constructed female protagonists are rare mostly because there's always going to be teenaged males around looking for some boobage. Without a legal access to stuff like Playboy until they hit 18 or 21, depending on what country you're from, you're pretty much stuck ogling Ivy's gazongas in Soul Calibur IV and the like.

They do exist, though. FemShep can come off as being incredibly well realized as a protagonist, depending on the choices you make. It's clear from the onset that she didn't become a poster child for the Alliance just because of her looks. She can be smart, compassionate, insightful, decisive - or she can be a total sociopath. That's up to the player.

As always, I think the crux of the problem is that marketers and studio execs are stuck in the "games are for boys" mentality. If the concept of the average gamer was made a little less defined and a little more inclusive, maybe we'd start seeing a change in this respect.

Considering this, I'd certainly go for an Eve Jensen. I know the poll asked for "Adriana", but, y'know. Adam. Eve. Kinda obvious.

Failing a complete gender add-on for what's already a game with some history behind it, I'd take fanfics and fanart. There's plenty of that already, some of it managing to make Female Jensen seem just as grounded in the world as Adam.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
Well written characters are just well written characters. Gender is arbitrary.

You know how you can make the industry have more strong female protagonists?

1) Make a male character like you usually do, with all the strenghts and faults.
2) Keep their actions and how they are dressed exactly the same.
3) Draw boobs on them.

Strong female protagonist.
And now I am picturing Marcus Fenix from Gears of War with tits. I hope you are happy.
OT: Sure I would play that.