Poll: Would You Push The Button? (Moral Dilemma)

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Ah, people die all the time but how often do you get offered a million bucks? Fuck 'em and take the dough.

Just kidding. Obviously not.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
thaluikhain said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
No, not my family. I would be tempted if it was just a random person somewhere in the world, but no. Not my family.
Actually, I remember hearing about a TV show episode along those lines, and thought that would be what this was about.

A guy gets offered a button to press, if he presses it he gets the money, and someone he doesn't know dies. He thinks it over and decides to press it. After he does, he asks where the people will go next, and they say "To someone who doesn't know you".

(Or maybe it was the whole family, not just one person)

I'd have to say "no" to the original question. However, that is a really nasty question to ask someone. Everytime you're short of money, or see someone better off than you that you think shouldn't be...you'll remember your decision.
It was from the twilight zone, what a pure classic gem that show is.

I'd press it tho, since i wouldn't believe him at first so my curiosity would get the better of me

lachlan4567

Sep 21, 2011
Queen Michael said:
I wouldn't. Not unless they could guarantee that it was my dad who'd die.

...yeah, my dad was puh-retty abusive during my childhood.
You literally stole the words from me.
I know that feeling all too well.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I wouldn't. This isn't really a dilemma, more of a question about people's priority. Dilemma would be when there is 2 equal options. Money is worthless compared to family, (Unless you hate your family). But again this comes down to a priority, someone who would be greedy, without family or hates their family would take the money.

There is no dilemma unless you have really poor understanding of morality.

Also go watch a movie called The Box, it is this scenario almost exactly, with a twist.

BabuNu

Nov 19, 2009
No. I wouldn't kill any of my family for a million.

Coming at it from another angle though; if it were a billion dollars and my little sister was in the tent then she'd have my consent to push the button. I'd expect that my mum and dad would consent too.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
What happens when an orphan who's lost his family, or a very old person who has survived the rest of the family pushes the button?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
no,
No
NO!

Context: money is fleeting, my morality is not!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
No way!
Unless I get to know which family member, and at this time it would only be my grandmom I'd press the button for because she's not too well at the moment.
And even then there's WWAAAAAYYYY! too little money in there for me to kill a human being, not to mention a family member!!!

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
thaluikhain said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
No, not my family. I would be tempted if it was just a random person somewhere in the world, but no. Not my family.
Actually, I remember hearing about a TV show episode along those lines, and thought that would be what this was about.

A guy gets offered a button to press, if he presses it he gets the money, and someone he doesn't know dies. He thinks it over and decides to press it. After he does, he asks where the people will go next, and they say "To someone who doesn't know you".

(Or maybe it was the whole family, not just one person)

I'd have to say "no" to the original question. However, that is a really nasty question to ask someone. Everytime you're short of money, or see someone better off than you that you think shouldn't be...you'll remember your decision.
It was a movie. And the guy didn't press it , while he was contemplating the implications of doing such a thing, his wife pressed it .

OT: Hell yeah, it's the closest i'm going to get to that much money. Hell if you tell me i get 1 mill everytime i press it, i'll press it multiple times! People die everyday , i could very well decide not to press it and my family could die the next day in a car accident. So yeah i'll press it and take the million.

Yes i know i'm a terrible person.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Naw. A million has this magical ring to it but have you ever really thought about what to do with a sum like that? I'm pretty sure it's not enough to quit your job, so all you can really do is make some one time purchases. So what'll it be? A porche? A big house? Meh. Sure they're nice to have but it's hardly like you just won the game of life forever.

So yeah, maybe I lack imagination but I don't see what you could do with a million that even comes close to being worth killing a relative. Mostly because these kinds of one time sums just do not have the impact a sizeable monthly sum would have.

irok

Jun 6, 2012
Is that not a sub zero icon I have in my icon bar? I would, and of the many it could target depending on the definition of close, be it my father or any of his family he left us for or even someone from my very very limited remaining family on my mothers side there is only one person out of all of that that I would even feel anything for , call me cold, for that's what I am.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
So. Seeing as I am the last one alive in my family, would pressing it mean I get killed, or I cheated the rules and no one died?

If the former, then no, if the latter then yes.

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
A million is not enough money to live comfortably off of in the Western world. Changing the cost to something like a billion might cause a few more temptations arise.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I don't think I would, even though I hate half of my family. But it's more of a "wouldn't be too sad if they died naturally" than a "would erase them if given the chance". In fact let's lower that to a quarter, I'd probably be sad if one of my pretentious little asshole cousins died, and a few others besides.

So nope. A billion dollars? Only if it was restricted to half the family. I'd rationalise it by saying the good I could do with the money saves more lives than the one that was lost. But if there's any chance of killing my mother, a particular cousin, a particular uncle, or one of my dogs, definitely not. Not even for curing world hunger or something objectively better than a single average human life.

Arcanite Ripper

May 1, 2010
This is The Monkey's Paw with a more direct approach. And it's still not much of a moral.

And of course i'd do it. Some hooded carnival-frolicing weirdo wouldn't have the power to kill my family anyways.

bondiablo

May 13, 2010
I'm sorry what was the question? I was busy smashing this red button. Knowing it was going to be a family member would actually make it more tempting than if it were a random stranger since I know my family are all douchebags.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Pfft, simple.

I'd kill my family THEN press the button. That'll show that random figure!

Obviously not. They made movie about this too by the way, except it was a random person.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Cecilo said:
So. Seeing as I am the last one alive in my family, would pressing it mean I get killed, or I cheated the rules and no one died?

If the former, then no, if the latter then yes.
In that case.. wouldn't YOU be the only one in your immediate family?
Suicide button!

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I don't think I'd be all that thrilled to be given a load of money I don't need and that I haven't earned, let alone kill someone for it.