Poll: Would you rather be single than date an unattractive person?

weker

May 27, 2009
Well it's kinda hard to say, as my standards are not very high at all, I really cherish a good personality over anything else, while simultaneously thinking there has to be some form attraction otherwise you might as well just be friends, but alas my life is a lonely one so that might curve my judgment.
god after posting that it doesn't at all make me feel more self loathing :D

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
upon further reflection, it's impossible to date an unattractive person, because if you are with them, they're attracting you somehow.

QED

your logic is fail.

much love though, we can still be friends k? :D:D:D

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
I think that poll is a little narrow in the description myself. Attraction for me is based on many levels, you don't have to be a supermodel, but I have to find you attractive otherwise I've already "settled". Try basing a healthy long-lasting relationship when you settle for anything. I have dated women who were hot but had deplorable personalities and trust me, a pretty face only goes so far.

I like women who are independent, intelligent, confident and good-looking. No shame in that. If that means that I end up being alone longer or alone until I'm dead, I'd rather be alone and know that I didn't bother to waste my time or worse, the time of someone else because of my own personal need for a significant other.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
My girl of choice is damn gorgeous, but she isn't a super model....and yet I'm exponentially more attracted to her than ANYONE else.
And I'm not one of those people who isn't attracted to super models (cuz holy damn, how could you not?)

My point is that attraction is a function of faaaar more than mere looks. Therefore, your poll has no valid option for me to choose.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Jonluw said:
Of course.
Physical attraction is practically the thing that separates platonic relationships from romantic ones.
What he said. If someone has a really nice personality, I'm going to be their friend. If someone is attractive to me and has a nice personality, I'm going to want to be romantic with them.

But if it is just nice personality, then why the hell would I date them? I have plenty of friends with fantastic personalities that I'm not attracted to - so I'd just be their friend.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
If I loved her, no.

Still, unattractiveness is certainly a negative mark in my book. I'm still partially superficial.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Laurie Barnes said:
Not much to be said about this, other than I have been single for a long time and don't see myself changing that habit any time soon.
My friends tell me that I need to lower my standards, or at least strongly imply it. While I don't feel that is the only reason I can't get a date they may have a point.
My problem is that, judge me as you please, I cannot pursue a relationship with someone I do not find physically attractive. Personality counts for a bit, but for reason of genetics and simple taste I cannot overcome my obsession with appearance.

I am fully aware that a lot of you will think I am a terrible person, but that's just how I am wired, (poorly that is).

So I ask you my fellow escapists, how important are looks to you?

Edit: I want to add that I think my beliefs on the subject were heavily influenced by my father. One of the earliest comments he gave me on the subject was, "Don't ever lower your standards, how do you think I ended up with your mother?"
I think option three is the chicken option tbh. If it were one of the other, this poll would be much more interesting.

Option 1. I want my kids to look like me/better, so the only way to do that is to have a good looking mate. But that's just one of several criteria, but I'm not backing away from it either, its valid.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Sorry. I couldn't be with someone I didn't at least think was kind of cute.

To me, physical attraction counts almost as much as emotional attraction, partly because it is where you will get the most... I suppose influence. If you want to be around someone because you find them physically appealing that will make being around them A LOT easier and you will, deny it or not, act differently towards people depending on how attractive you find them physically.

They can be amazing conversationalists, but if their face is horrific(to you) then you will most likely have trouble being in their company. This is of course not something that has to hang around forever, you can get over it and whatnot.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
Attractiveness is, obviously, a relative thing.
If I find someone repulsive, chances are I'm not going to be around them much anyway, not to hate, its just a tendency of people.
But if someone is not unattractive but I may not see her as outright attractive, I give it a shot and I find that the more I come to like someone, the more attractive she becomes in my eyes.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
Depends how unattractive they are. But I really don't mind being single, so I wouldn't mind hanging out for someone who I'm actually attracted to. I don't find many people to be unattractive, to be honest - I can always find something that I like in a person's face, and it's not very often that I'm completely repulsed by someone's appearance.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Not too sure what the OP is driving at; ugly to me, or to 'society'? Every partner I've had would easily fall into the latter (I've got a pretty obvious facial disfigurement, so I'm sure it's reciprocated) but I've found then beautiful all the same.

So, are we talking about low standards or social stigma? Personally I don't give a sh*t about either, I'm an ugly f*cker so I'm in no position to judge.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
dogstile said:
Do I find them unattractive?

If yes, cross off being interested in them.

If no, move on.

Its in my flow chart of dating.
Simple and effective. OP, please take note.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
It's split choice overall. If you don't like talking and or looking at them it's overall not meant to be.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
No. If you have no attraction to them they will just really be a friend. I have friends that are girls, I wouldn't go out with them though, because I don't find them attractive

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Personally, their personality is more improtant.

Besides, you can always fix ugly if throw enough money at it.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
I am a chubby chaser.
I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they're very attractive.

But yeah, if I date an average person I will have to get along with them first.

Robertus2210

Apr 8, 2010
I voted no, simpley because although personality counts the eye wants some candy too ;)

don't get me wrong i'm not saying someone has to be perfect.

but what i am saying if you don't find a person attractive then how on earth could you ever date him/her! you can't be in a relationship where each time your lady/lad leans in for a kiss you think to yourself ''oof no i'd rather not, no thank you''.

there is nothing terrible about how your feelling, and if anything i'm saying listen to your instincts!

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
I said no. I could fulfil all the same needs being single as I could dating an unattractive person.
I have friends for companionship. I have masturbation so that I can come occasionally.
I need someone I'm sexually attracted to in order to satisfy me sexually.