Poll: Would you rather be single than date an unattractive person?

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Whatever blows your hair back, is what I always say. Or more appropriately (as in the poll above) "the devil is in the details". Some people only want superfluous relationships, where they have nothing in common. Other people like to have something that they can share with each other.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Someone might not find the person you're going out with attractive, but if you do, why does it matter? People actually care that much what others think of them it hinders their own happiness?
I can guarantee no other guy who knows me in real life fancies me. My boyfriend is always telling me I'm the most beautiful girl in the world but I wouldn't think anyone else shares his opinion.
I think you have to be attracted to them to want to start a relationship, what one person might like may not exactly be socially accepted but different strokes for different folks.

What gets me is the really arrogant guys who won't settle for anything less than a 9/10 are always vile! Not sure why they're so deluded, but it's not a good idea to punch way above your weight. Not meaning you should settle for just anyone who might be a complete arse, but you have to be a bit more sensible when choosing a partner.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I think it depends. For me, looks matter huge. If I have to kiss that face and whatever, it best turn me on. But there are other factors that attract me.

People mention personality and that sorta fits with me. Depending on the type of personality, that can affect me in the way of physical attraction would. I was interested in a guy from the 2nd season of So You Think You Can Dance for that reason. The guy wasn't the best looking but I was attracted anyway.

David Caruso is rather old looking. He's not the hottest guy. But his voice is so wonderful to hear. It makes me melt. I could date a person just to hear their voice.

Little things like that which will change my POV and make a person look good to me.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
To me, a lot of things factor into a person being attractive, not just looks. So that makes this question complicated for me as a poll. Do I think looks are everything? Not even close. Do I care if they are attractive by my terms? Yes.

phylline

Oct 23, 2011
No -- physical attraction needs to be present to pursue a physical relationship. (Not saying that's the ONLY thing that's important, just that it's important.)

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
If I don't find someone attractive then I won't entertain them ... sober.

Before I met my wife I had my share of one nighters .. a few of them with the help of beer goggles.

Ahhh beer, helping ugly people have sex since it's creation.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Honestly if I did fall in love who isn't exactly got the looks but more with her personality, I would give it my all to maintain that relationship. I would probably take it for granted if I couldn't get pass her look but she really did loved me.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
There's a big difference between attractive and pretty. I know absolutely gorgeous looking women that I find highly unattractive due to severe character flaws they have.

Obviously, I would never date someone I find unattractive.

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
I will pretend that unattractive for you is the whole package.
In which case, why would anyone date someone they are not attracted to?

Feeding one troll at a time :)

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
To be honest, I think this is worded badly. I would not date someone I find unattractive. But I have dated people that I find attractive for reasons other than their physical appearance. The problem here is that attractive is such a subjective and fluid concept that it is pretty meaningless in the context you're setting up. If you're dating someone, then there was something that attracted you to them unless you determine dating partners by coin toss(in which case let me know where you live so I can tell Batman you escaped again). There may not be enough attraction for the long term, but there is something.

Now, if you defined it to physical attraction? That might be something.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
This is clearly a question for everyone's individual tastes.

Personally, I wouldn't matter too much if I date someone who is not necessarily the most attractive woman in the world. Personality is what will keep me attracted to a woman. However, there should be something physically appealing about the woman that I would find attractive.

So personality has to be amazing, yet have something about her appearance that will draw me to her.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
If I ever get a girlfriend, it would probably be someone who I find attractive. Both personality wise and physically wise.

I'm not asking for a super model or a celebrity, but I don't want to date someone who looks like this:

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Heh. In my book, someone you like for their personality and not for their attractiveness is a friend, regardless of gender. So I'm going with single, then.

Feb 9, 2011
The coin of a relationship has two sides - physical attraction and personality attraction. You need both sides for a complete coin. Why would I settle for just one? That's...kind of stupid.

I'm not going to date someone I don't find physically appealing, but I'm also not going to date someone I don't click with mentally either.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Laurie Barnes said:
Not much to be said about this, other than I have been single for a long time and don't see myself changing that habit any time soon.
My friends tell me that I need to lower my standards, or at least strongly imply it. While I don't feel that is the only reason I can't get a date they may have a point.
My problem is that, judge me as you please, I cannot pursue a relationship with someone I do not find physically attractive. Personality counts for a bit, but for reason of genetics and simple taste I cannot overcome my obsession with appearance.

I am fully aware that a lot of you will think I am a terrible person, but that's just how I am wired, (poorly that is).

So I ask you my fellow escapists, how important are looks to you?

Edit: I want to add that I think my beliefs on the subject were heavily influenced by my father. One of the earliest comments he gave me on the subject was, "Don't ever lower your standards, how do you think I ended up with your mother?"
Oh I am the same way, believe me. Although people may think me a douche bag, its just the way it is. Don't worry about it, I don't know your age, but I am guessing you're somewhere around your teens - 20s, and if that's case - there's no rush. We have our life ahead of us, and we shouldn't really be entangled in relationships from such an early age. Especially, if you're like me, and you're pursuing your dreams and goals and careers and what not. Then its even better to be alone, because you don't want anyone to distract you. I've always found the ideal age for marriage and the like to be 30-35. The only downside to this is that when you have kids and they grow-up, you'll be very old by then. But that's probably the only down-side. And listen, don't be ashamed of your own standards - be proud of them. If you think you deserve better, then it must be so. Yes, sure, there's that case when the guy/girl with high standards is a Daun-syndrome, hunched-back, drool dyspenser, with teeth the size of several big trash bins aligned together, and more pimples than the crators of the Moon; but even then, I don't justify the whole 'take what you can' mentality. If you don't feel satisfied with someone, then what does it matter if they're fit for a bloody Nobel Prize, in terms of their personality. Yeah, yeah, I know, the hyper-sensetive will say: 'That's so bad! You're such a/an [insert offense here]', but they can go to hell, for all I care. This is something extremely personal, and it concerns no one but you.

PhoenixOnly

Nov 18, 2009
I would rather be single than be in a closed relationship with anyone. Good looking, bad looking I don't care.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
When you love someone what they look like isn't really important, but the real question is how do you come to love someone you don't find attractive. If you never want to have sex with them what's the point.

When I did Track I always hung out with and befriended the throwers, guy and gals, they're good people, but they're not the most attractive bunch. I had to tell one girl, Abby, that I didn't find her attractive after she kept pestering me for a date.

I will befriend damn near anyone, but a intimate relationship requires intimacy and that in turn requires a baseline physical attractiveness.

It still kills me that my best friend in college is a lesbian, she the hottest, geekiest girl I've ever met. We love each other's company and spent damn near everyday hanging out with each other but she doesn't find me attractive, "Your OK for a guy", are her exact words...

I've been on both sides, it's sucks telling someone you like that you don't find them attractive, but what you gonna' do? (on a positive note, a hot lesbian is the best wing man; we traded a lot of "Are you kidding she was looking at me"'s).